all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I know I'm supposed to do barbell but...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The only real apples to apples comparison that can be done here is KB grinds vs BB grinds
Even that, for me, is still apple to apple: with the barbell and a rack, I can spend time wedging myself to the bar before unrack and press/squat. With kettlebell squat/presses a good clean is necessary to get to a good position to squat/press. If the kettlebells are too heavy for a clean-clean then the effort to squat or press those would be much more higher

In general I think kettlebell people are the fittest. They can run tolerably well, they are quite flexible, quite good conditioning and are sufficiently strong. Most of the time they are not that muscular.

Barbell people, or people who do bodybuilding stuff on machines seem to have quite a few individuals who have very huge and impressive muscles.

With a couple of kettlebell in your apartment you can really become quite fit. I don't feel that can be said about barbells.

Kettlebells seem to be perfect compromise of everything.

Why would a barbell front squat with 64kg run you down more than a double kettlebell front squat with 2*32kg?
It doesn’t. But front squatting 64kg never got me nor maintained a squat in the same range as double 32s.

@Riastrahd foremost, thank you for your service. Also, I wanted to share this link with you because I asked a similar question last year and there are some real gems in that thread (for example @WhatWouldHulkDo in post #9 with his "jar of rocks" analogy, which I still refer to often). I thought some of the input might be pertinent to your question. Note in my opening post that I said exactly the same thing that you did regarding how kettlebells make me feel: Kettlebell - Another Crossroads (Barbell or Kettlebell!)

My own thoughts: you were doing strictly barbell work for a decade, and now doing kettlebells for 8 weeks, it's not surprising that your body is getting a different type of adaptive response that feels almost 'nourishing'.

My $0.02 about kettlebell and barbell work: barbells give you the overall strength that comes from heavy, bilateral multi-joint movements, but can also introduce imbalances through not differentially strengthening the dominant and non-dominant side. Going back to the jar of rocks analogy, the barbells are the big rocks, they will give you tremendous benefits in the areas of strength (or power, if doing o-lifts), but kettlebells are great for nailing down solid movement patterning, and also for practicing unilateral work, which barbells don't offer the same opportunity for. Even if only doing bilateral work, kettlebells often do "fit the contours" of your movement more closely than barbells, because of the position of the CG in reference to yours.

A poster above mentioned the CG of the kettlebell vs. the dumbbell. When gripping a dumbbell the CG is right in the middle of your hand, so when doing an overhead press (for example), you are pushing directly against the CG of the dumbbell. When doing an overhead press with the kettlebell, the CG is offset, so you are not only fighting against gravity, but also fighting against the tendency of the kettlebell to want to pull away from your body, which activates shoulder stabilizers more than a dumbbell would. I think this is great for shoulder health. I also personally prefer to use a KB vs. dumbbell for overhead movements because you are less likely to drop the KB vs. the DB. I always hold my breath and hope for the best when I see someone do a TGU with a dumbbell. It doesn't happen often, but it's memorable when it does.

I think the best approach is to consider the combination of strength and longevity. I do believe that if only chasing raw strength, barbells are more efficient than kettlebells, however if a combination of strength, mobility, stability and longevity is your pursuit, then a blend of multiple training modalities is best. Which rocks you decide to put in your jar and when is probably best decided based on the feedback that your body and your strength training journal is giving you. Good luck!

It isn't the tool, it is the programming and the execution.

It's both.

The physics of a unilateral tool vs bilateral tool are unavoidably different.

Simple example:

I have to use a different motor recruitment pattern, and rack position, when I barbell OHP vs a KB OHP if I don't want to clock myself in the head with the barbell.

Last edited:
It's both.

The physics of a unilateral tool vs bilateral tool are unavoidably different.
Sure. This applies to DBs as well. But as to "hard on joints" - load, ROM, execution are going to be bigger players, barring any individual problem which prevents certain positions. We can do this with BW stuff as well. These aren't one variable Tool A vs Tool B comparisons.

Sure. This applies to DBs as well. But as to "hard on joints" - load, ROM, execution are going to be bigger players, barring any individual problem which prevents certain positions. We can do this with BW stuff as well. These aren't one variable Tool A vs Tool B comparisons.

Well, the "barbells are hard on joints" point is not mine.

Actually, for being tough on connective tissues / stabilizing muscles, of the things I do, the most demanding is gymnastic rings.

Well, the "barbells are hard on joints" point is not mine.

I understood that. If anything the little history you shared in that post "10 years ago yes, now not especially" makes the point - the shape of the barbell didn't change in those 10 years.

Actually, for being tough on connective tissues / stabilizing muscles, of the things I do, the most demanding is gymnastic rings.

I believe it. You be careful with that back lever!

They are both effective. Both are good tools to use. I only started doing KB about 18 months ago.

I like KB better. I find it is more time efficient. I also like the ballistic aspect of the lifts. It was something missing from my training for decades. I feel like I have regained some of my youthful speed using KB; decades of barbell work made me feel slow. Barbell always seemed to take a lot of time where KB workouts can be done in under half an hour.

It has also increased my endurance. Recently had to remove some 12' tall hedges. Took 3 days and it was my teenage son who was sucking wind after a long day not me.

I still feel the need to move some heavy weight in my routine. So generally I run KB Strong (neupert) 2x per week and do a Barbell Complex 2x per week (Trap DL, Incline Bench, KB Front Squat). So atm I am about 60/40 KB.

As I get older, I could see myself working out every other day, a KB clean and press routine for Day 1 and heavy swings or front squats on Day 2. I am doubtful I would be missing anything.

If I was a bodybuilder where I wanted maximum hypertrophy, was a small guy who wanted to add size, or didn't already have a decent bench/sq/dl base, I might focus on barbell. Nothing beats moving big weights for building big muscle.

This is a bit of a ramble. But if I had KB 30 years ago when training for football. I think I could have avoided a lot of injuries. Using KB has added a lot of support muscle on my shoulder girdle that was missing and caused lots of shoulder issues when I played. I would probably focus on the 3 big lifts with barbell and do tons of clean and press, swings and front squats with the KB as my accessory exercises. The emphasis of work that did not involve stabilization on a bench would also have helped considerably.

Last edited:
As I get older, I could see myself working out every other day, a KB clean and press routine for Day 1 and heavy swings or front squats on Day 2. I am doubtful I would be missing anything.

As I've gotten older, I'm having better results training 4 days a week instead of 3.

Volume is about the same, it's just spread over more days.

I find I can get more quality sets in that way, as opposed to being a bit half-a#@ on the last 20% of a 90 minute / 3 day a week routine.

I did a cardiac stress test yesterday and turned out my blood pressure was too high.

“You should not lift very heavy weights with high blood pressure,” said the cardiologist, “how heavy are you lifting?”

“Currently 32kg is the heaviest kettlebell I use,” I answered.

“Oh, that’s nothing,” she laughed.

You have to train with barbell to earn respect from your doc.

I did a cardiac stress test yesterday and turned out my blood pressure was too high.

“You should not lift very heavy weights with high blood pressure,” said the cardiologist, “how heavy are you lifting?”

You have to train with barbell to earn respect from your doc.

OH SNAP!

Doc is like, "Do you even lift, bro?"

As I've gotten older, I'm having better results training 4 days a week instead of 3.

Volume is about the same, it's just spread over more days.

I find I can get more quality sets in that way, as opposed to being a bit half-a#@ on the last 20% of a 90 minute / 3 day a week routine.

Yes! I was on a 3-day/week (mostly barbell) program that the coach moved to a 4-day split and it definitely helped with progress.

She's an Iron Maiden then? ROFL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom