all posts post new thread

Old Forum I strongly urge you to implement breath timing...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you guys practice Fast and Loose drills while doing the timed diaphragmatic nasal breathing?

This is a great thread.  I would like to offer a recent discovery here that has been exceptional at wordlessly helping the group mine the recovery fully while producing a surreal, calm focus in the group at practice.  First the power, then the tension, shorting the breath-recovery all the while.

One extra cue I like:  while in standing recovery, actively lengthen neck, reducing pressure in skull-spine juncture.  [Some traditions call this "Jade Cloud"].  Note how shoulders automatically lower.  It is now easier to breathe.

Light to moderate bell:  2H SW x 20; 5 breaths in crawling position [knees up 1"-- x-lifts whilst breathing, lifting one appendage at a time is also fine]; Stand up, 5 more breaths.  Repeat 5 times.  Each round seems to last approx. 1 min.

Part II:  2H SW x 20; 5 breaths in crawling position.  Repeat 4 times.

Part III:  1H SW x 20; 5 breaths in crawling position; 5 breaths standing.  Repeat 5 times

Part IV:  1H SW x 20; 5 breaths in crawling position.  Repeat 4 times.

Gwen

Well, it's kind of humbling, but I cut my swings down to 5 reps per set with 10 nasal breaths between each set.  I am taking it on a leap of faith that this will be good for me, and that I will build back up, and exceed, what I was doing when I was gulping air.

The surprising thing to me is that the most difficult part of the nasal breathing is the exhalation.  While exhaling, and especially towards the end of the exhalation, my breath gets caught in my throat in a choking sort of way.  I don't really know how to explain it.  But, my first job is to smooth out the breathing.  I think progress will then come quickly.

I ordered "Let Every Breath".  I hope I get as much out of it as some of the rest of you.

This training regimen has really taken some interesting turns.

Jeffrey,

Likely what you're feeling is habitual resistance to anything but panic breathing.  Most folks walk around in a state of perpetual panic breathing...especially when training.  Your body's habitual response to the extra strain of the swings is to do what it does best - panic breath.  By trying to alter your breathing patterns you're trying to re-set your breathing habits.  (Un?)Fortunately it's a never-ending process...but there are very rewarding milestones along the way which if crossed will make your life suddenly so much easier and enjoyable.  The reason most folks don't pursue these skills is because there is no weight measurement, belt or rank involved in improving your breathing.  Nobody won a medal for "best breath" or "best nervous system regulation."  Work with it, be patient and don't force it and things will get interesting.

As a further expansion on this topic this is one of the things that I find so appealing about the S&S book in general.  By stripping it down and making it a near-daily routine you are confining yourself to a box.  By constraining yourself in this way you will be forced to find ways to create variety and self-discovery within the program rather than within programS.  It suits my experience and training philosophy very well and I am enjoying it very much for this reason.  On my "day off" I just cut my volume to 49-50%, drop my average intensity to about 60-70% and work within the breathing, technique and recovery stuff.  Lately I've enjoyed playing with the rest periods between the TGUs.  Close my eyes, try to breath deep and slow and relaxed as possible, keep on top of my panic reflexes and don't allow them to take over to make my breathing faster and higher, gently reassure my body that all is well and there is no reason to overcompensate, try to slow my heart rate down by tying it to my breathing.  The result is that my sessions end up becoming profoundly relaxing and meditative, not unlike the effect of a good Systema training session or a few good Taiji forms.  Its funny how we compartmentalize things...I always thought of strength and conditioning as existing within that "panic mode" world that I had so happily left so I felt just a little bit uneasy about it since it was reinforcing bad habits.  Needed S&S to kinda hit me over the head that it didn't have to be that way, to see the continuum between all that I did and to realize that there was no excuse to not apply the lessons of other skill sets to this training method.  And now I feel the circle is complete and there is no longer an artificial mental divide between these pursuits.  Perhaps this is a reflection of the fact that S&S seems much more self-consciously directed to the martial artist than to the powerlifter, bodybuilder or general "fitness" type.  I found it spoke to me much more directly than any of the other works by or affiliated with Pavel.  Just a little thought I wanted to share.  Best of luck playing with your breathing...it can be a very trying but very powerful experience.

"within the program rather than between programs" would have been a clearer way to put it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom