all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Increase Vertical Jump

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Skilly

First Post
Hello,

I aim to increase my vertical jump (for basketball).
That's why I wanted to know what exercises with a kettlebell I could add to my training to improve my vertical jump as efficiently as possible.

Thank you in advance.

I coach basketball. The answer is an obvious one- two handed swings will increase your vertical.

Strengthening the ankles is wise. One legged deadlifts, one legged presses, and pistols are great.

The breathing techniques taught here will do a lot for your explosiveness.

Pavel might have some useful stuff for you in his article (but I don't remember if it mentions any specific kettlebell exercises)
http://www.strongfirst.com/jump/
Heavy double kettlebell front squats will help your vertical jump unless you already have your pure squat strength covered by another form of squat.

Swings of all types helped me. Mainly 2 arm and 2 arm shadow swings. Unfortunately I don't have a "before" vertical measurement, but I played basketball in high school and was always crap vertically. When I tested my vertical for the first time after reading Pavel's recent Jump! article I was hoping to do better than 12 inches. I ended up jumping 22" and followed it with an 8' broad jump! That's not Jordan's 40 plus, but I was shocked. (My brothers were shocked when we played some ball recently too :)

One thing I noticed looking back is that the swing simply taught me how to jump. It really grooves the perfect motion for leaping. If you pay attention to the effort, speed and motion that gives you the most snappy, powerful swing, it seems to really transfer to jumping. Also pay attention to the advice about unlocking/stretching/turning off the hip flexors.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom