all posts post new thread

Barbell Input wanted on Barbell + KB program!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For a mixed barbell kettlebell program I simply took the Wendler 5-3-1 boring but big and substituted kettlebell exercises for the 2 5x10 sets at the end of each day. Worked very well. So basically I did the standard 3 sets of warm ups and the three work sets. Then I would do two different kettlebell lifts to substitute for the 5x10's.

Hi guys, sorry for not checking in here in a long time :) I read Pavel's book "Beyond Bodybuidling" and figured out a program from there that I'm doing since about three months now. My goal being the SFL and hitting the big three lifting standards, my KB work has been put on the backburner compared to the barbell work for now. The great news is, no pain in the SI joint so far! The following is my current program, I do three weeks hitting it hard, then 1 light week where I drop back the weights to about 50-70% of 1RM.

Day 1:
6*3 BB Back squats at about 80% of 1RM
6*3 Deadlift at about 80-90% of 1RM (alternating btw sumo/conventional and switching the overhand grip between sessions)
and 5 min rest between each set.
Then some accessory work, typically supersets of 6*5 legpress alternated with 6*1 weighted pullups (30-90sec rest btw sets)

Day 2:
6*3 Bench press at about 80% of 1RM
6*3 Barbell MP at about 80% of 1RM
5 min rest btw each set.
Then accessory work, usually incline bench or incline dumbbell 6*3-5 at about 60-70%, hanginig leg raises and weighted dips 6*1-2.

Day 3:
DB Kettlebell work 32 kg bells, includes:
DB Front Squats 4*3
DB MP 4*2
5 min rest btw sets of the above
DB Split Squats 4*3
TGU 1/1 L/R *4 sets

Day 4/5 some Metcons
-Snatch test with a 24kg bell
-2hand Swings on the minute 10* 13 /14 with the 32kg bell
or running sprints, 30m, 10*30m with 30sec rest between runs

My bench press is by far the weakest link here. I have long legs and arms and have never really paid it much attention until now, when I have to hit 120kgs for the SFL, being at about 95-100 kg 1RM at the moment.
What are your thoughts on the best accessory exercises (BB or KB) for increasing the bench press? Pavel's book says incline bench is great but it feels weird and slightly uncomfortable and "unstable" to my shoulders...

Thanks for your thought guys, I appreciate it :)

Hello,

What are your thoughts on the best accessory exercises (BB or KB) for increasing the bench press?
I am not a bench press professional, but I choose to exercises: kb military press + OA push ups (or OAOL PU).

Then, you can also work on a narrow / narrower stance with your bench. This is an harder variation.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Nils BA Sfg1
You are welcome !

In addition to the stance, you can also choose a slow motion (for example 10s down, 1s hold at the bottom, 10s up, 1s hold at the top)

Kind regards,

Pet'

What are your thoughts on the best accessory exercises (BB or KB) for increasing the bench press? Pavel's book says incline bench is great but it feels weird and slightly uncomfortable and "unstable" to my shoulders...
BB Floor Press
IMO the best horizontal press there is.
It's a staple for most big benchers. Don't treat it like a bench press, though. Lower the bar until your elbows hit the floor and then stay there for a count of 21-22 and only after that explode up. Imagine you want to push the bar off of your body and throw it up to the ceiling. If you just touch the elbows to the floor and immediately press up again, you'll lose a lot of the benefits.
Since you're lying on the floor there are no issues with the shoulders and they are very stable.

Hello,

Imagine you want to push the bar off of your body and throw it up to the ceiling
+1
Mental conditioning is also very significant. I noticed that I can press more when I want to "put space between the bell and the ground" than just "lifting the bell over my head".

It create a great CNS response

Kind regards,

Pet'

BB Floor Press
IMO the best horizontal press there is.
It's a staple for most big benchers. Don't treat it like a bench press, though. Lower the bar until your elbows hit the floor and then stay there for a count of 21-22 and only after that explode up. Imagine you want to push the bar off of your body and throw it up to the ceiling. If you just touch the elbows to the floor and immediately press up again, you'll lose a lot of the benefits.
Since you're lying on the floor there are no issues with the shoulders and they are very stable.

Hello,

+1
Mental conditioning is also very significant. I noticed that I can press more when I want to "put space between the bell and the ground" than just "lifting the bell over my head".

It create a great CNS response

Kind regards,

Pet'

The very same Pavel talks about pushing the door frame with your shoulder in its socket rather than a normal overhead press?
I ditched the bench press several weeks ago and changed to dumbbell floor press. I like the sensations and my shoulders do too.

Hello,

The very same Pavel talks about pushing the door frame with your shoulder in its socket rather than a normal overhead press?
This creates an intense CNS response, to learn how to create muscular tension. Usually, we only use 20 - 30% of our force potential. This kind of exercise permits to go higher.

For instance, you can push the door frame first. Then, going for your "standard" press. You are supposed to press slightly heavier or if not heavier, easier.

E. Sandow, S. Klein, etc...also used muscle-mind link to lift heavier. So if it works for old time strongmen, I can at least try. The simplest, the best

It works frankly very well ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom