12​
17​
22​
27​
33​
39​
Maybe time to get the 40kg bell​

Rest times continue to compress.

Looking forward to many more weeks of Iron Cardio as I prepare for my next cycle of barbell work, which is again stymied by changes to the garage and what's being stored where.

I've been exclusively doing classic clean press squat with a single 32kg bell, so far.

Last edited:
@Adachi

A couple of observations:

1) I would advise moving to traveling 2s, rep ladder, or moving target and adding the snatch to the 32kg work.
2) the 36kg would be a good step for the classic.
3) I would use the 40kg in a weight ladder before trying to make the jump to the 40kg "exclusively."
4) I've found 60 sets to be a good volume "max" and doubling the time in reps is also an indicator to move to a more difficult version.

Great work.

I have a few questions mainly for Brett .

One since IC almost champions guided intuitive training I have allowed my intuition to guide me more than almost ever before.

Weirdly this has left me seemingly training less frequently than usual about once to twice a week. Normally once.

Maybe I should just listen to my body & embrace the change. Just go on more walks with the dog if I feel I am "not doing enough."

This drop in frequency hasn't really been at a loss in terms of strength the only possible downside is possible fat gain as I'm the heaviest i have ever been but I feel there is muscle gain also as I can see more defined abs but they are definitely under a layer a fat & my legs are bigger (struggling getting into certain trousers).

Would you just continue riding the intuitive train as long as the results are mainly similar to what I was achieving with more training?

Second if I wanted to solidify gains made using bodyweight exercises in my IC I know you give options of building reps up. At what point have you deviated too much from the guard rails of IC.

Example, I was wondering if I ended up getting to a point where I had to split the exercises up to keep within the rep total of 3-5 per set would you still consider it IC?

so say i was doing,

Dip X 5

Rest

Chin X 5

Rest

Squat X 5

rest

Repeat for 30 mins

The main reason I ask is this would allow me to kinda move from IC into another programme I was intending to do at some point naturally as it would have me using very similar exercises as I am using currently for IC already & also in a time restricted format like I am also using for IC.

WALRUS by Jim Wendler if curious.

I just finished a session that was a riff off one of my favorite cycling workouts I used to do called "over unders."

A typical session would be 2x20min doing one minute above my threshold power (zone 5 vo2 max - zone 6 anaerobic) and 4 minutes under (sweet spot which is between zone 3 and 4 or 84-97% of threshold power).

What that looked like today using double Clean Press Squat was 1 set with 40s followed by 4 sets with 32s. I ended up doing 30 sets in 35min.

My regular working bells these days are 36s. I would say 32s would be considered a sweet spot for me where I can get in a lot of work but don't take a big hit.

I appreciate the “consider going heavier when you’re getting 2 sets per minute” guidance. I’ve been using the 20k as working weight for a while. Tested with the 24k, and turns out it’s a 5RM on my non-dominant side now. Not sure I would’ve checked without that prompt—the 24k has always mentally seemed too heavy to be a working weight for me. Time to start working in some heavier “IC Classic” sessions!

It seems to be the best compromise training method on par with S&S. It's time to create a forum thread with a body weight option, called Naked cardio aka Warrior Cardio tm)

Last edited:
I have a few questions mainly for Brett .

One since IC almost champions guided intuitive training I have allowed my intuition to guide me more than almost ever before.

Weirdly this has left me seemingly training less frequently than usual about once to twice a week. Normally once.

Maybe I should just listen to my body & embrace the change. Just go on more walks with the dog if I feel I am "not doing enough."

This drop in frequency hasn't really been at a loss in terms of strength the only possible downside is possible fat gain as I'm the heaviest i have ever been but I feel there is muscle gain also as I can see more defined abs but they are definitely under a layer a fat & my legs are bigger (struggling getting into certain trousers).

Would you just continue riding the intuitive train as long as the results are mainly similar to what I was achieving with more training?

Second if I wanted to solidify gains made using bodyweight exercises in my IC I know you give options of building reps up. At what point have you deviated too much from the guard rails of IC.

Example, I was wondering if I ended up getting to a point where I had to split the exercises up to keep within the rep total of 3-5 per set would you still consider it IC?

so say i was doing,

Dip X 5

Rest

Chin X 5

Rest

Squat X 5

rest

Repeat for 30 mins

The main reason I ask is this would allow me to kinda move from IC into another programme I was intending to do at some point naturally as it would have me using very similar exercises as I am using currently for IC already & also in a time restricted format like I am also using for IC.

WALRUS by Jim Wendler if curious.
Cearball

Re: intuitive training
The intuitive nature of the Iron Cardio program is more directed toward the "design" of the session(s)—choosing different weights, number of sets, and IC options etc.

Paraphrasing from the book—...if you always give yourself an out or never give yourself an out...—it sounds like you are veering into the "always" giving yourself an "out" or reason not to train.
(I obviously do not mean "always" hence the quotation marks)

This is the safer option vs. never giving yourself permission to take a day off. (This is what I need to avoid veeering into)

It could be that your previous routine(s) were leaving you a bit overtrained and you needed some more infrequent training for a time.

Are you using KBs for the Iron Cardio training?

Re: Bodyweight options
https://www.strongfirst.com/strength-aerobics/
From the original Strength Aerobics article:
"designed for our students at a bodyweight course we were teaching almost a decade ago:

• One-arm pushup, left x 1 rep
  • One-arm pushup, right x 1 rep
  • Pullup with the palms facing and the fists touching each other, emphasizing the left x 1 rep (I would use a mixed grip pullup instead)
  • Pullup with the palms facing and the fists touching each other, emphasizing the right x 1 rep
  • Pistol, left x 1 rep
  • Pistol, right x 1 rep
I go, you go — the 1:1 work rest ratio. Shake off the tension while your training partner is working. Ladder the works for 2 and then 3 reps — and start over. Three rounds of 1, 2, 3 will get your attention."

The option you suggested is more in the direction of some of the Strong Endurance protocols.

As you can see from the original article the bodyweight options would be a strength circuit with a shifting emphasis (pushup to pullup to lower body etc.).
I'm not familiar with the Wendler program you mentioned so I can't offer any comparisons.

Having said all of this...when you try to promote intuitive training is challenging to change what someone has landed on so take my advice with a "grain of salt."

Cearball

Re: intuitive training
The intuitive nature of the Iron Cardio program is more directed toward the "design" of the session(s)—choosing different weights, number of sets, and IC options etc.

Paraphrasing from the book—...if you always give yourself an out or never give yourself an out...—it sounds like you are veering into the "always" giving yourself an "out" or reason not to train.
(I obviously do not mean "always" hence the quotation marks)

This is the safer option vs. never giving yourself permission to take a day off. (This is what I need to avoid veeering into)

It could be that your previous routine(s) were leaving you a bit overtrained and you needed some more infrequent training for a time.

Are you using KBs for the Iron Cardio training?

Re: Bodyweight options
https://www.strongfirst.com/strength-aerobics/
From the original Strength Aerobics article:
"designed for our students at a bodyweight course we were teaching almost a decade ago:

• One-arm pushup, left x 1 rep
  • One-arm pushup, right x 1 rep
  • Pullup with the palms facing and the fists touching each other, emphasizing the left x 1 rep (I would use a mixed grip pullup instead)
  • Pullup with the palms facing and the fists touching each other, emphasizing the right x 1 rep
  • Pistol, left x 1 rep
  • Pistol, right x 1 rep
I go, you go — the 1:1 work rest ratio. Shake off the tension while your training partner is working. Ladder the works for 2 and then 3 reps — and start over. Three rounds of 1, 2, 3 will get your attention."

The option you suggested is more in the direction of some of the Strong Endurance protocols.

As you can see from the original article the bodyweight options would be a strength circuit with a shifting emphasis (pushup to pullup to lower body etc.).
I'm not familiar with the Wendler program you mentioned so I can't offer any comparisons.

Having said all of this...when you try to promote intuitive training is challenging to change what someone has landed on so take my advice with a "grain of salt."

Thanks for the response.

I am using KB for DBL clean & DBL front squat currently mixed with dips & chin ups.

So I am doing
Dip,
Chin,
Clean
Squat

Rest

Repeat

I do see what you mean with a possible pitfall with the intuitive side in regards to frequency maybe I am getting too lazy with it.

Hello
I'm a first time poster but long time reader.
I'm 38years old, have my background in martial arts and rugby and been working with kettlebells since 2007, both as a practitioner and a coach (hardstyle, girevoy)

Regarding iron cardio: under waviness ladders are found as a medium session and I wonder why.
If one uses the same size kettlebell the load but also the volume is the same if you use traveling 2s , moving target or a ladder if you calculate it over say 3 sets per arm. So there is a difference in volume/set but it equals over the course of the workout.
Can someone, preferably the author, explain what makes the ladder medium and the others hard?
Or, if the case, tell me where my math is wrong.

Thank you and take care.

Hello
I'm a first time poster but long time reader.
I'm 38years old, have my background in martial arts and rugby and been working with kettlebells since 2007, both as a practitioner and a coach (hardstyle, girevoy)

Regarding iron cardio: under waviness ladders are found as a medium session and I wonder why.
If one uses the same size kettlebell the load but also the volume is the same if you use traveling 2s , moving target or a ladder if you calculate it over say 3 sets per arm. So there is a difference in volume/set but it equals over the course of the workout.
Can someone, preferably the author, explain what makes the ladder medium and the others hard?
Or, if the case, tell me where my math is wrong.

Thank you and take care.
The heavy, medium, and light sessions need to be determined by the end user—the ones in the book are my heavy, medium, light sessions.

For me right now the 36kg for an MP Ladder session would be heavy and the 32kg would be medium to light—but where it falls on the "scale" is up to you.

Re: volume
For a 60 sets MP ladder session you will total 120 presses—this is hard to match with any other version of Iron Cardio with similar number of sets.

For harder/difficult Heavy sets aiming for 4-5 reps, would double swings be a decent alternative to snatches, since snatches are not possible at these weights? Or, would focusing on Travelling 2s be about the same?

For harder/difficult Heavy sets aiming for 4-5 reps, would double swings be a decent alternative to snatches, since snatches are not possible at these weights? Or, would focusing on Travelling 2s be about the same?
Harry,

Swings can work (although not the "same" intensity of snatches) and I would use both traveling 2s and on other sessions adding swings (you can add swings/snatches to traveling 2s but it's a big session(s).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom