all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

so - I write C, P, and S, in order, in rows of 5. this correlates to my 10 reps hash marks at the left. Left arm, right arm, each movement.

The Classic version I use is the pattern
CPSCP
SCPSC
PSCPS
CPSCP
Etc.

if I add in swing (W) or snatch (N) it'd be something like ...
CPSWC
PSWCP
SWCPS
WCPSW
CPSWC
Etc.

and I have to do a slight bit of math - every time I finish the left and right sides, I add two hash marks.
and that means I've completed one of the letters.
Right now I'm not marking off the movements, I'm just using them as a reference.
So, when I look at how many hash marks, I just remember that 2 hash marks == 1 Letter (which represents which movement gets 2 reps)
So, if I see 2 hash marks that means it's time to move on to the Second letter in the row.

So, when I see the letters lined up, I remember which Movement gets a second rep in those sets.
Legend:
C = Clean
P = Press
S = Squat
N=Snatch
W=Swing
Hey @Adachi
How does PSCPS work?
Cheat clean?

Hey @Adachi
How does PSCPS work?
Cheat clean?
in my chicken scratch language,
PSCPS roughly Translates to

Set​
Clean​
Press​
Squat​
1 (Left)​
1​
2​
1​
2 (Right)​
1​
2​
1​
3 (Left)​
1​
1​
2​
4 (Right)​
1​
1​
2​
5 (Left)​
2​
1​
1​
6 (Right)​
2​
1​
1​
7 (Left)​
1​
2​
1​
8 (Right)​
1​
2​
1​
9 (Left)​
1​
1​
2​
10 (Right)​
1​
1​
2​

Last edited:
Just tried travelling 2s for the first time, enjoyed it bit found it tricky to track what i was doing, thats probably more to do with me being thick though.

I ended up writing down
C 2 1 1
S 1 2 1
P 1 1 2 and so on

I like to count in rounds, L+R is one round i did 18 rounds in 22mins
I think that works out to be 24 cleans each side 24 press each side and 48 Squats...i think.
Little to much for my brain, think I'll stick to the standard version ha

Anyone got a easy way to track and work it out!!
I use D10s to count rounds/which lift is the travelling 2. It doesn't do the math itself for sets and reps, but it keeps track easy enough.
Let's say I do single/double ladder, 1L, 1R, 1DBL, 3 sets, 1 round each. I would have 2 D10s, and increment them for each round respectively.
Travelling 2s +/- snatch I would use 3 or 4 D10s, incrementing along each Travelling 2: First sets CPS T2s, D10{1,0,0}, {1,1,0} etc.
I might be missing some time detail using this method. I try to keep pace with a stop watch and set a set length in seconds and see how easy or hard it is to adjust for next time. I think the important thing is that it makes sense to you, and you can keep track of your volume properly--I write down what I do in a log after I stop my watch and increment the die--so let your freak flag fly.

@Brett Jones Iron cardio consists of both grinds and ballistics. Brett, is it possible to add a purely ballistic session for a change, for example: clean and jerk, clean and jerk + viking press, etc.? I know Pavel has a clean and jerk program forJJ Fanatics
BJJ but it's more streamline i like iron cardio more with variability

@Brett Jones Iron cardio consists of both grinds and ballistics. Brett, is it possible to add a purely ballistic session for a change, for example: clean and jerk, clean and jerk + viking press, etc.? I know Pavel has a clean and jerk program forJJ Fanatics
BJJ but it's more streamline i like iron cardio more with variability
Yes—you can do clean and long push-press, clean + Jerk + squat, etc.

I was reviewing my training log, and I was noticing a very similar pattern of progression.

Outlined in yellow is my sessions of classic iron Cardio, and outlined in orange is my sessions of traveling 2s.
IMG_20230322_183828.jpg

I added some math in there to figure out the additional reps performed in traveling 2s so I could compare it more directly, based on total load. And a very similar rate of progression popped out. So far so good. Keep going.

First press ladder workout today
123 x 6 in 21mins

Prefer that to travelling 2s, easier to keep track .
Also i need more press volume after a year off overhead pressing so will probably add this in rotation more, my favourite so far.

If anyone wants a different way to keep track of sets, I use guitar picks arranged on my dresser. At the beginning of the workout, I choose a goal number of sets and set out one pick for every two sets. Every time I complete two sets (L & R), I flip a pick over. If I’m doing traveling twos, I organize them into groups of three to help me remember which set is which. I find that the visual is motivating, and it’s just more satisfying than pen and paper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
I was thinking of doing the giant soon, 3.0 as i want to get back some over head press strength, but i like these iron cardio sessions.
I was thinking of doing a mix of both, the giant 3.0 is day 1 x2 reps day 2 x3 reps day 3 x1 rep
So im thinking of doing the same but with 1 clean and squat, IC style.
Any down sides? Should i just stick to one or the other?

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing the giant soon, 3.0 as i want to get back some over head press strength, but i like these iron cardio sessions.
I was thinking of doing a mix of both, the giant 3.0 is day 1 x2 reps day 2 x3 reps day 3 x1 rep
One option might be to experiment with using double KBs as one of your IC variants. That's mentioned in the manual, but I'm not sure about the videos.

Gary,

I'm not fully familiar with the Giant program so I can't give specific advice but going with an IC variation without a press sounds like a good idea.

HI’ve been doing IC steadily for about 6 months now. I have a hard time settling on a program and the intuitive style seems to scratch that itch.

Also life is a bit hectic, getting married in a month and own/operate a personal training studio.

Also have had a neck injury for years that recently flared up so trying to take my training a bit easier

I am planning on running Ic 2-3 days a week (really like bu version) with a run and deadlifting session a week.

Anyone run anything similar or would love @Brett Jones feedback!

HI’ve been doing IC steadily for about 6 months now. I have a hard time settling on a program and the intuitive style seems to scratch that itch.

Also life is a bit hectic, getting married in a month and own/operate a personal training studio.

Also have had a neck injury for years that recently flared up so trying to take my training a bit easier

I am planning on running Ic 2-3 days a week (really like bu version) with a run and deadlifting session a week.

Anyone run anything similar or would love @Brett Jones feedback!
I think your plan looks good overall and the combo of IC and other work (like DL, running) usually goes well.

I just took a peek at my log, and I like color coding things so they jump out at my eyes a little easier. This one is unsuspected; unthought of, at least.

Apparently I seem to be exhibiting a 3 week cycle of some sort. We'll see if it's confirmed in the subsequent weeks or not. , But there is something there. Maybe it's just the weather, as Mr. Motz has pointed out, in general one will tend to be doing a little less in warmer weather.

I've been using the talk test and breathing cues to start my sets, so there may be some relationship to including other work during the week like ballistics and walking and carries which are all interspersed throughout this cycle. Some weeks more than others.

Almost 9 weeks in, it still offers me a chance to drive the pace harder or easier depending on how I'm recovering, that day, and in that instant. And in general it has increased my capacity for difficult tasks.

Like, this morning I had to carry down an uncooperative 60lbs. Child (spring break is over) down a flight of stairs and I was sure of each step.

My increased strength made that easy to negotiate, even amidst a certain amount of flailing. I was as steady as ever. This is in stark contrast to some months ago, when I had a slip and fall without the accompanying discontent; the cargo was unharmed. I remember it being at least a bit more difficult. I'll cite this as an increase in general endurance for carrying heavy things awkwardly up and down stairs.

Punching the clock with the same bell is definitely lowering the RPE of life for me.

And maybe one day soon I'll realize it feels a bit light and reach for the heavier bell.

Screenshot_2023-04-10-12-28-23-66_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

Last edited:
I used IC for 6 weeks leading up to a hiking trip, in addition to running and training hikes. It worked well, had to bail on the trip for unrelated reasons, but felt strong throughout, even when carrying two bags for a brief portion. For my next training block I'm thinking of training IC twice per week, with some weighted pullups beforehand. I know there's an option to use pull ups as part of the circuit, but I like them so much I want to make them of as high quality as possible. Twice a week I'm also planning on doing 20kg snatches and dips, then running twice per week. Does this sound ok, or maybe too much volume with the dips?
Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom