all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I used IC for 6 weeks leading up to a hiking trip, in addition to running and training hikes. It worked well, had to bail on the trip for unrelated reasons, but felt strong throughout, even when carrying two bags for a brief portion. For my next training block I'm thinking of training IC twice per week, with some weighted pullups beforehand. I know there's an option to use pull ups as part of the circuit, but I like them so much I want to make them of as high quality as possible. Twice a week I'm also planning on doing 20kg snatches and dips, then running twice per week. Does this sound ok, or maybe too much volume with the dips?
Thanks in advance
I think it can work. Just keep an eye on the shoulders and elbows and recovery.

I used IC for 6 weeks leading up to a hiking trip, in addition to running and training hikes. It worked well, had to bail on the trip for unrelated reasons, but felt strong throughout, even when carrying two bags for a brief portion. For my next training block I'm thinking of training IC twice per week, with some weighted pullups beforehand. I know there's an option to use pull ups as part of the circuit, but I like them so much I want to make them of as high quality as possible. Twice a week I'm also planning on doing 20kg snatches and dips, then running twice per week. Does this sound ok, or maybe too much volume with the dips?
Thanks in advance

I found that when I got a week or so into doing IC then any extra shoulder work was just far too much.

I did try the clean/press/squat/pull-up for a trial session but the last bit was just too slow and a bit of a faff for the transition, so reverted to the clean/press/squat/snatch version which was excellent. I did single 24kg and double 20kg for some variety, but when I do it again I'll stick to the single 24kg bell. Was doing 3 sessions a week.

For me some running would compliment it well though.

I found that when I got a week or so into doing IC then any extra shoulder work was just far too much.

I did try the clean/press/squat/pull-up for a trial session but the last bit was just too slow and a bit of a faff for the transition, so reverted to the clean/press/squat/snatch version which was excellent. I did single 24kg and double 20kg for some variety, but when I do it again I'll stick to the single 24kg bell. Was doing 3 sessions a week.

For me some running would compliment it well though.
Thanks. I thought the same when adding pull ups to IC, which is why I do them just before with a strength focus. I'm thinking that cutting the IC back to 2 days/week will let my shoulders handle a little extra volume for snatching. I'm only snatching a 20kg as well, I just like the movement and don't feel I need to load it too heavy right now. Will definitely keep a log and update in 6-7 weeks.

I really liked the rhythm (for want of a better word) to the clean/press/squat/snatch version: it's quick, slow, slow, quick like a KB dance step!

Like I said the single 24kg worked better for me, not sure why. Finished 8 weeks of it recently, will add it to my regular rotation of base training KB programs. (Add running and some BB strength inc. weighted pull-ups on top.)

I really liked the rhythm (for want of a better word) to the clean/press/squat/snatch version: it's quick, slow, slow, quick like a KB dance step!

Like I said the single 24kg worked better for me, not sure why. Finished 8 weeks of it recently, will add it to my regular rotation of base training KB programs. (Add running and some BB strength inc. weighted pull-ups on top.)
Sorry if you have answered this already but did you notice an increase in your 24kg RM after the 8 weeks? I also alternate between 2 x 20 and single 24 for my IC sessions but like you prefer the single 24 sessions. Slow progress on my goal to press 28 though.

Sorry if you have answered this already but did you notice an increase in your 24kg RM after the 8 weeks? I also alternate between 2 x 20 and single 24 for my IC sessions but like you prefer the single 24 sessions. Slow progress on my goal to press 28 though.

No worries. I didn't test tbh, and also the 8 weeks was a bit on/off as tweaked my shoulder and then was ill, so reckon I did 6 weeks in total out of the 8. If i get round to testing I'll let you know.

I'll do it again in a while but will stick to 30 min sessions and use a single 24kg, and it'll be part of my base training that I'm using an adjusted Novocaine format for.

@paules , My RM went up with this program. Though, I was focused on testing the next weight up. In a couple of months of training with the 24, I went from a shaky single with 28 on the left to a solid single; it got easier. That 28kg RM went from 3 to 4 in the same period.

The 5-rep test I was doing with the 24 kg to make sure it was still the right weight for the program got easier, too.

I should point out that I was using mostly classic and traveling 2s during this period. I would say that my volume was in the neighborhood of 30-50 sets per session.

EDIT: That right RM went from 2 to 4 with the 28; I forgot the starting point from my spreadsheet.

Last edited:
The pullup version is my favourite but boy does it take it out of me once i get up to 45/50 pullups.
Think i need to keep the Pullup sessions capped around 30 or do as some of you and do them first.

Maybe 3x5 weighted ?

Progressing well though, push press turned into press pretty fast.

The pullup version is my favourite but boy does it take it out of me once i get up to 45/50 pullups.
Think i need to keep the Pullup sessions capped around 30 or do as some of you and do them first.

Maybe 3x5 weighted ?

Progressing well though, push press turned into press pretty fast.
What is your specific session like when you add pullups?

I tend to keep myself at 2 reps per sequence.
{Clean + Press + Squat R+ Clean + Press + Squat L + 2 pullups}

I also like the idea that we can practically do ROP without too much stress.
For example CPSq 20 min. it's an easy day, C&P 1,2,3 for 30 min. - heavy, medium - snach + squat. All this can be regulated by time and density. Or this option 10 min -CPSq, swing 10 reps for 10 min and again 10 min -CPSq

I've come back to IC after a long bout with golfer's elbow. Inspired by the many ideas in this thread, I decided to play around. After a 10 minute TGU warmup (24kg) a windmill at the top to stretch things out l lined up a 32kg 36kg 40kg 24kg classic ladder (Clean>Press>Squat) and set the timer for 20 minutes. I didn't really pay attention to the time because I've become sick of beating myself up with auto-regulation.

I was quite pleased with the results. I managed to complete five ladders on each side in about 19 minutes for a tidy 40 reps. It is the most times I've ever pressed the 40kg in one session as well and I never felt winded. After 40kg doing the 24kg immediately after feels like nothing and strangely enough so did the 32kg. I will revisit this configuration again. I might try for a longer session next time to see if I can handle it. Thanks to all of you contributing their ideas and tweaks to this thread and especially to Brett who dialed up this program. This is what I enjoy so much about IC, the freedom to explore, a true boon for those of us who are likely to fall into the deadly trap of more, more, more. You can't do more if you're always changing the format!

(For those interested in specifics: 1 ladder = CPS 32LR> CPS 36LR> CPS 40LR> CPS 24LR )

So I felt like IC yesterday and did the classic IC with a 32kg. I have not been pressing much because of my left shoulder injury but now that it is almost back to normal, I decided test it a bit. So, 40 sets of CN+PR+SQ with 32kg. The initial few reps pressing 32kg on left was not easy. I think it was more mental than physical. I also learnt (mainly due to the SFB) that I wasn't squeezing my glutes much. Found this to be immensely useful realization. When I squeeze my glutes, no pain in left shoulder. When I don't there is slight discomfort. Once I warmed up, I felt comfortable, and just so I don't overdo, I did do 10 sets in between with a Push Press rather than a Strick Press.

Although I completed the workout, I wasn't sure how much shoulder would hold up. I am very happy that it is completely normal today. No issues from yesterday's workout.

I finished 40 sets in 32m 16s. Very comfortable. I could've probably pushed it a little bit more. Wasn't sure what a good time would be. I remember in IC book, a suggestion around progression. Maybe I need to go through that to see what that would be. (40 sets in 20 mins, was it? or 60 in 30?)

So I felt like IC yesterday and did the classic IC with a 32kg. I have not been pressing much because of my left shoulder injury but now that it is almost back to normal, I decided test it a bit. So, 40 sets of CN+PR+SQ with 32kg. The initial few reps pressing 32kg on left was not easy. I think it was more mental than physical. I also learnt (mainly due to the SFB) that I wasn't squeezing my glutes much. Found this to be immensely useful realization. When I squeeze my glutes, no pain in left shoulder. When I don't there is slight discomfort. Once I warmed up, I felt comfortable, and just so I don't overdo, I did do 10 sets in between with a Push Press rather than a Strick Press.

Although I completed the workout, I wasn't sure how much shoulder would hold up. I am very happy that it is completely normal today. No issues from yesterday's workout.

I finished 40 sets in 32m 16s. Very comfortable. I could've probably pushed it a little bit more. Wasn't sure what a good time would be. I remember in IC book, a suggestion around progression. Maybe I need to go through that to see what that would be. (40 sets in 20 mins, was it? or 60 in 30?)
Yeah - Brett posits in the book that if you're getting 2 sets per minute that the bell is a little light for what you're doing and you might want to ramp it up, difficulty-wise; maybe with other variations - or a heavier bell.

I believe the bell size for classic is preferably around 5-6RM press. (Strict Press I assume.)

Last edited:

The current metric is if you can double the time in sets (40 sets in 20 min for example) then it is time for a more heavier or more challenging variation.

A set every 30 seconds does feel very fast to me, with each set if I did the snatch taking 20 seconds or so, it's almost continuous movement? I was averaging one set every 45-60 seconds.
I can report - it very much leans in the Cardio Direction when that pace is sustainable. which is not necessarily in all cases a demerit. but, the program progresses just fine in moving on to a more challenging variation.

Back
Top Bottom