all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

The current metric is if you can double the time in sets (40 sets in 20 min for example) then it is time for a more heavier or more challenging variation.
Thanks Brett. I went through the book yesterday. I also realised that 32kg is no more my 5-6RM bell, because of the loss of strength due to injury, weight loss, etc.. I need to bell down and do this with the 28kg.

@Adachi Thanks for the reminder about the right bell size.

Today was a big break for me.
It was hot and humid outside, and I didn't expect to outperform last week's 40-minute performance at all.
last week was 58 sets/40 minutes. this week we have 62 sets/40 minutes.
This is the first time I've visited the 60-set range since switching over to Traveling 2's.

For now, I think, I'm going to attribute this to doing Carries on my off days (Tues. Thurs.)
I recently added rack carries with the 40kg bell. 1:2 W:R ratio.
My IRON CARDIO bell is 32kg.

The carries do a lot to challenge my heart/lungs and systemic taxation. With relatively complete rest, maybe they're adding to my work capacity, by a larger margin than I thought.

1681490394998.png

1681504144034.png

Very cool to see the steady improvement.

Last edited:
Id love to get back to 24kg press, used to have a comfortable 8 rm.
after a year of no overhead pressing when i re started 16kg felt heavy, ive been mainly doing IC 3 times a week 15-25min sessions. For about 2.5months.

Started with the 16kg then mixed in the 20kg
Still Alternating 16, 20kgs done a couple small 15min sessions with the 20.
Tested my max today, wish id tested before really.
16 is 8 and 20 is 5 so have a long way to go to get back to where i was.

Id love to get back to 24kg press, used to have a comfortable 8 rm.
after a year of no overhead pressing when i re started 16kg felt heavy, ive been mainly doing IC 3 times a week 15-25min sessions. For about 2.5months.

Started with the 16kg then mixed in the 20kg
Still Alternating 16, 20kgs done a couple small 15min sessions with the 20.
Tested my max today, wish id tested before really.
16 is 8 and 20 is 5 so have a long way to go to get back to where i was.
A broad base builds to a higher peak—you are on your way to getting back to where you want to be.
"Make haste slowly"

Anyone every swap reverse lunges for the squat with press from the 1/2 kneeling position?
I also came up with the same idea. If the kettlebell becomes light for the classical version, then instead of increasing the weight, make the movement more difficult. For example: clean + lunge back + press + stand up, or you can stand up with a kettlebell at the top. Or doing one leg press

Hi team, I hurt myself (not with the KBs) a while back. I can finally comfortably press again, but my injured arm is weaker than before. I was training IC with a 24 kg KB. Now, I can comfortably press 16 kg (or a pair of them) for 5 or 6 reps. That being the case, I decided to try doubles to see how the rest of my body responded. I feel pretty good after the session; I'd like to see how focusing more on double KBs goes in the longer term with IC.

So, here's my question. With a single KB, @Brett Jones has said that he likes people to be comfortable (paraphrase?) with averaging two sets per minute to know when to move to a heavier or otherwise more challenging variation. When working with double KBs, should we follow the same guideline?

In most cases when using double Kettlebells, the parameters change to EMOM since the load is increased.

Single kettlebell work (like in "The BEST All-Around Training Program" with single Kettlebell Clean & Jerks) can be done every 30 seconds (same for swings and other exercises) when performing A+A and other similar training.

Hi team, I hurt myself (not with the KBs) a while back. I can finally comfortably press again, but my injured arm is weaker than before. I was training IC with a 24 kg KB. Now, I can comfortably press 16 kg (or a pair of them) for 5 or 6 reps. That being the case, I decided to try doubles to see how the rest of my body responded. I feel pretty good after the session; I'd like to see how focusing more on double KBs goes in the longer term with IC.

So, here's my question. With a single KB, @Brett Jones has said that he likes people to be comfortable (paraphrase?) with averaging two sets per minute to know when to move to a heavier or otherwise more challenging variation. When working with double KBs, should we follow the same guideline?
I'd say a set a minute for doubles

Im finding if i use my true 5rm i struggle to go past 15mins before i start feeling it

Today i done 14 rounds in 15mins and called it.
If i go with my 8rm im good for traveling 2s, ladders and longer sessions

Should i stick with the 5rm and add time slowly until im doing 20-30mins?
As im only doing it 3x a week the 15min session makes me feel guilty ive not done enough and id like to be at around 30mins ideally

Im finding if i use my true 5rm i struggle to go past 15mins before i start feeling it

As im only doing it 3x a week the 15min session makes me feel guilty ive not done enough and id like to be at around 30mins ideally
Couple of ideas:

1) Weight ladders are an option or alternating weight sessions so you will do "less" with the 5RM bell but likely be able to get more total sets in a session.

2) Rest more between arms and just in general with the 5RM weight.

3) Rep ladders and the sessions you noted with the 8RM bell—use these sessions to build your base.

I've been doing two sessions in a row with my 5rm, then two sessions with my 10rm. One 30 min and one 20min each. I find each time I work with my 5 rm I get an extra set or two in, just moving up slowly but surely.

I think weight ladders helped me a lot moving up from the 20 to 24. Felt like a good way to build volume while still getting comfortable with the heavier bell.

Back
Top Bottom