all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I have been meaning to ask: @Brett Jones , what about barbell clean-press-squat? Well, in this case, power clean, press, front squat? Can this work?
What about lowering the bar from the rack position - is there a potential danger of overuse injuries?
Pavel,

I don't have a barbell or the ability to test drive this so my opinion is just that.

Since it is single reps it is very similar to training the power clean so it should work and in an ideal situation (Oly lifting platform) the bar could be dropped from the finish of the sequence. When it cannot be dropped then you would have to have good technique for lowering the bar.

Pavel,

I don't have a barbell or the ability to test drive this so my opinion is just that.

Since it is single reps it is very similar to training the power clean so it should work and in an ideal situation (Oly lifting platform) the bar could be dropped from the finish of the sequence. When it cannot be dropped then you would have to have good technique for lowering the bar.
The best middle ground for dropping the bar from the rack position I have found - squat it down, and drop it from the bottom of the front squat.
I have a history of forearm overuse when I was dropping and catching the bar...
Thank you for the reply.

You could make S&S standards on Iron Cardio too :)

I think 40 is a round number in the Iron Cardio world, so for a man, maybe 40 sets in 40 minutes with a 32 kilo, in the fashion of the classical set. And for a double, maybe the same only with 32+32.

What are decent and what are impressive goals to reach in Iron Cardio ?
I think of these as two different categories. A "decent" goal is 8kg/16kg (single/double) more than what you started at. Say you start with a 24kg, and over time can build this to a 32kg or a pair of 32s. That is decent! But if you started at 32kg, a "decent" goal would be to get to the 40s. This "decent" respects where you start like Brett mentions, but still gives you a goal to shoot for.

As for impressive, I think anything with a 40kg bell or pair of 40s, or over, would be impressive.

If you want relative terms, I'd say a good goal is to shoot for 40% (single) or 80% (double) bodyweight.

I think of these as two different categories. A "decent" goal is 8kg/16kg (single/double) more than what you started at. Say you start with a 24kg, and over time can build this to a 32kg or a pair of 32s. That is decent! But if you started at 32kg, a "decent" goal would be to get to the 40s. This "decent" respects where you start like Brett mentions, but still gives you a goal to shoot for.

As for impressive, I think anything with a 40kg bell or pair of 40s, or over, would be impressive.

If you want relative terms, I'd say a good goal is to shoot for 40% (single) or 80% (double) bodyweight.
Interesting—the 40 (single kb) and 80% (double kb) ranges are where I am for anywhere between 40-60 sets using quite few different variations.

30-40 sets is a good range with 60 being a high end goal (occasionally).
With the 40% and 80% weight ranges that hits a good range to shoot for in general

Variation wise the Classic, Traveling 2s, (with singles and doubles), Moving Target, + snatch, + pullup are all good to progress towards.

Ran a session today of +snatch for 20m. Logged 27 sets. In relation to the 34 sets I logged previous using classic, would this session be considered medium or heavy? I am leaning towards medium by feel. Thinking of using the moving target or ladders for heavy? Feedback appreciated.

Ran a session today of +snatch for 20m. Logged 27 sets. In relation to the 34 sets I logged previous using classic, would this session be considered medium or heavy? I am leaning towards medium by feel. Thinking of using the moving target or ladders for heavy? Feedback appreciated.
Since you are early into the protocol I would log it as you feel it is appropriate (medium) and keep track over time.

Hard, medium, and easy will "reveal" themselves as you try different variations. IMO

Back
Top Bottom