all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

That looks a good mix! How are you finding the Bent press and squat?
It works really well, I initially did the btp after the squat, but I find it works better after the clean. Brett advised to keep an eye on the btp due to more moving parts but after 4 weeks, no issues yet. The IC days feel like lubrication after the C&J. I think they work really well together.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. After reaching timeless simple and running some cycles of the Giant, I started Iron Cardio about a year ago. For a 48 year old father of two children, with a stressful job, Iron Cardio is a gift. Simple, flexible and very effective. I have the ebook and I have listened many podcasts, but I still have a question. Can this protocol be applied by doing straight sets instead of flows? For example, instead of doing sets of 1 clean, 1 press and 1 squat to do 3 cleans, rest as needed, 3 presses, rest as needed, 3 squats, rest as needed, 3 cleans.... and so on, for 20 or 30 min.
Thank you all

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. After reaching timeless simple and running some cycles of the Giant, I started Iron Cardio about a year ago. For a 48 year old father of two children, with a stressful job, Iron Cardio is a gift. Simple, flexible and very effective. I have the ebook and I have listened many podcasts, but I still have a question. Can this protocol be applied by doing straight sets instead of flows? For example, instead of doing sets of 1 clean, 1 press and 1 squat to do 3 cleans, rest as needed, 3 presses, rest as needed, 3 squats, rest as needed, 3 cleans.... and so on, for 20 or 30 min.
Thank you all
@Nicgr

The ladder and moving target options are good options for this sort of volume/approach.

Can the strategy you suggested work?—give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Hello everyone
Have any of you tried focusing on the squat - or the lower limbs in general (swing/squat)?
What would be a good approach for this, alternating with more "classic" sessions? (Something like a Double kb session once a week with ladders on the squat? )
@Brett Jones , what would be your suggestions?
Matthieu

Hello everyone
Have any of you tried focusing on the squat - or the lower limbs in general (swing/squat)?
What would be a good approach for this, alternating with more "classic" sessions? (Something like a Double kb session once a week with ladders on the squat? )
@Brett Jones , what would be your suggestions?
Matthieu
@Matthieu

A double bell rep ladder for the squat would do the trick (probably one session a week alternated with other variations).

For those that have combined Q&D with Iron Cardio: how well did they mix? I've seen one or two posts stating that they compliment well but seemed to be on the front end. I am running a Q&D block now and wonder if it would be better to go 3 days Q&D pure and resume IC at the end of the block, or stick with a 2+2 format. I'm in my first week of the 4/5 protocol and feel pretty trashed...it may be because I overreached on my IC day in a misguided attempt to de-emphasize the press by adding a pull (specifically, had been doing IC classic on Tuesdays with an IC variation that emphasizes press, but did IC + pull up on my light day), but would appreciate any sage wisdom from the field. Barring that, I'll run it for a couple more weeks going back to IC classic on the easy day with the pull on the hard day, reassess, and report back with results. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For those that have combined Q&D with Iron Cardio: how well did they mix? I've seen one or two posts stating that they compliment well but seemed to be on the front end. I am running a Q&D block now and wonder if it would be better to go 3 days Q&D pure and resume IC at the end of the block, or stick with a 2+2 format. I'm in my first week of the 4/5 protocol and feel pretty trashed...it may be because I overreached on my IC day in a misguided attempt to de-emphasize the press by adding a pull (specifically, had been doing IC classic on Tuesdays with an IC variation that emphasizes press, but did IC + pull up on my light day), but would appreciate any sage wisdom from the field. Barring that, I'll run it for a couple more weeks going back to IC classic on the easy day with the pull on the hard day, reassess, and report back with results. Thanks in advance!
I’ve been incorporating IC + AXE into my routine for a few weeks now, and I find that they complement each other well. I know it’s not quite QnD. But pretty similar approach. I aim to alternate between them every other day, with Sundays off. As a father of two, getting six days consistently is rare, but that’s my goal.

I’ve learned the importance of being mindful of how I feel and planning my workouts accordingly. Balancing restitution and energy is crucial for me.

For IC, my routine includes single KB C+P x 3 + FSQ. I use a 32kg kettlebell for the hard days (20/30 min), a 28kg for medium days (20/30 min with extra focus), and a 24kg for easy days (20/30 min).

In AXE, I practice one-hand swings with a 24kg kettlebell for 20/30 minutes. It’s more of a technique-focused session with a relatively light weight, but I still feel the benefits. My lower back has improved noticeably in the last few days.

While AXE feels like more of a practice at this point, adjusting the intensity based on how I feel has been key. These minimalist programs allow for flexibility and cater to how my body responds each time. It has greatly improved my awareness of my body before each session.

Haha, I don’t know if this gives you anything

Last edited:
mfbunch

I am assuming that in this first week of Q&D you did 2 IC session and 2 Q&D sessions—correct?

Running 044 (snatch based Q&D) or the Swings and Powerpushups?

If you are new to the powerpushups it is a very different stimulus.

I ran this combo for 8 weeks, and found them to mix great! 2x IC and 2x Q&D with push-ups and two-hand swings... This template worked fine for me, and Q&D never killed me doing it this way:
  • Mon: IC
  • Tue: Q&D
  • Wed: Off/running
  • Thu: IC
  • Fri: Q&D
  • Sat: Off/running
  • Sun: Off/running

I found the sessions less taxing than any IC variation except classic, unless hitting 80 reps of Q&D. There's a learning curve to overspeed eccentrics and power push-ups. Are you sure you're using correct technique and/or kettlebell weight? Maybe try assisted push-ups with a band just to get used to the exercise, and drop a kettlebell size on the swings (or snatch, if that's what you're doing).

mfbunch

I am assuming that in this first week of Q&D you did 2 IC session and 2 Q&D sessions—correct?

Running 044 (snatch based Q&D) or the Swings and Powerpushups?

If you are new to the powerpushups it is a very different stimulus.
Yes, first week, and swings / power pushups. Not necessarily new to power push ups (Army Army Army), but haven't tried blending them into this weekly recipe before. It was the first time in a few months doing push ups, so I was a little sore (which I anticipated). The NEXT day was my IC + pull up day. I was going to play it by ear and switch to IC classic if it turned out to be too intense...and when it didn't I charged forward with the exponential increase that it turned out to be. All that to say, I probably knew better and did it anyway which left me on the hurtin side of life.

I did a really easy session (light clubs and stretching) Wednesday, and Q&D Thursday. Today (Friday) was another easy session, tomorrow is scheduled IC. I was planning on IC + high pull but may dial back to IC classic or visit 20 rounds for a light session, depending on how I feel.

In response to ipetter (sorry, I haven't figured out the quote / reply et al), Q&D was hard but energizing. I'm conscious that it taxes me much differently than AXE. Per the book, I'm not worried about overspeed eccentrics (and may not mess with them for this block of Q&D). No issue with power push ups although I'm watching form on the final set or two and may adjust accordingly. I don't have a place to hang a band so I may do push ups on a step or something similar (a la reverse of the progressions in the Gymnastics Body Foundation workouts)...we'll see next week when the alternate 5/4 and 10/2 becomes an option.

Appreciate the advice! I'll keep you posted.

Yes, first week, and swings / power pushups. Not necessarily new to power push ups (Army Army Army), but haven't tried blending them into this weekly recipe before. It was the first time in a few months doing push ups, so I was a little sore (which I anticipated). The NEXT day was my IC + pull up day. I was going to play it by ear and switch to IC classic if it turned out to be too intense...and when it didn't I charged forward with the exponential increase that it turned out to be. All that to say, I probably knew better and did it anyway which left me on the hurtin side of life.

I did a really easy session (light clubs and stretching) Wednesday, and Q&D Thursday. Today (Friday) was another easy session, tomorrow is scheduled IC. I was planning on IC + high pull but may dial back to IC classic or visit 20 rounds for a light session, depending on how I feel.

In response to ipetter (sorry, I haven't figured out the quote / reply et al), Q&D was hard but energizing. I'm conscious that it taxes me much differently than AXE. Per the book, I'm not worried about overspeed eccentrics (and may not mess with them for this block of Q&D). No issue with power push ups although I'm watching form on the final set or two and may adjust accordingly. I don't have a place to hang a band so I may do push ups on a step or something similar (a la reverse of the progressions in the Gymnastics Body Foundation workouts)...we'll see next week when the alternate 5/4 and 10/2 becomes an option.

Appreciate the advice! I'll keep you posted.
The change in loading and volume could have just been a wee shock to the system—stick with lower volume Q&D while you adapt.

The change in loading and volume could have just been a wee shock to the system—stick with lower volume Q&D while you adapt.
You were absolutely correct...and the undisciplined addition of pull ups in the IC mix pushed me over the edge.

Quick update: body adapted to load fairly well, I've been on track with the IC / Q&D rotation and am mixing in all Q&D variables (minus knuckle push-ups and snatches) into the mix. The temporary setback did teach me a valuable lesson, so when I leveled up weight on the IC day I did the math...and kept the total load on those days close the previous week to give time to adjust to the new weight before increasing the number of sets. I do like the way the two mix and will echo a previous comment that the two programs go well together.

You were absolutely correct...and the undisciplined addition of pull ups in the IC mix pushed me over the edge.

Quick update: body adapted to load fairly well, I've been on track with the IC / Q&D rotation and am mixing in all Q&D variables (minus knuckle push-ups and snatches) into the mix. The temporary setback did teach me a valuable lesson, so when I leveled up weight on the IC day I did the math...and kept the total load on those days close the previous week to give time to adjust to the new weight before increasing the number of sets. I do like the way the two mix and will echo a previous comment that the two programs go well together.

It's been a few weeks since I've updated in this thread. But currently on 11 weeks of IC and the strength gains are noticeable.

2 weeks ago I introduced the 28kg in a weighted ladder session with the 24 & 28kg. I was surprised how easy I was able to move the 28kg. Last week I ran a 30 minute Classic session with a 28kg and managed 46 sets in 30 minutes. Slowly working my to the 28's as my main bell(s).

I've mapped out a plan for the next few weeks to focus on pressing, squats, cleans, and general endurance with moving target, traveling 2's, ladders etc.. I enjoy that I have the option to shift focus on how I'm feeling that week while still making strength gains. I'd like to continue on this path and work up to the 32's. But it'll be a slow and steady journey.

A couple observations I've had so far. Press ladders are tough, there's a reason why it's mentioned to do them every 6-8 sessions if your focus is pressing. Moving Target with double bells is a nice challenge with proper rest between sets.

I ran IC in conjunction with 044 Q&D with a 20KG kettlebell for a good while. The only flaw, thus far, is that I wasn't able to do a 'mid-cycle' test for that 12 weeks due to personal life things going on. Still, I do feel a touch faster than I did twelve weeks ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom