all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Describe how you connected IC with AXE. And what effects.
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm planning on continuing with IC 2-3 days per week, and do Axe swings 2 days per week. Starting in a couple of weeks, when I've completed 8 weeks of Q&D alongside IC. As for effects, we'll see in 6-8 weeks...

Going to start my first session of IC tomorrow. I've been listening to a few podcasts that Brett was on and picked up a lot of great information (along with this thread). I've decided to spend a few weeks in the classic IC territory to get a feel of things.

My left shoulder was giving me trouble, but everything seems to be getting better so I'll spend some time with the 20kg. I'll pay attention to how it's feeling before introducing the 24kg back into rotation. I just spent the last 6 weeks swinging a 28kg and would like to carry on with a ballistic movement so I'm adding in the snatch in on the medium days.

This is my layout for the next few weeks:
Easy (20 minutes): Classic IC (C+P+SQ) with a 20kg

Medium (20 minutes): Classic IC + Snatch with a 20kg

Hard (20 minutes): Classic IC (C+P+SQ) with 2x20kg or Traveling 2's with a single 20kg

I've been finding Iron Cardio melds nicely with Quick and the Dead. Usually I do a 10-20 minute session, my base session being:

Clean-Press-Squat-pullup (odd numbered rounds), One Arm Pushup-kickstand squat-pullup (even numbered rounds)

Hi, I bought the IC book and it mentioned about the hypertrophy effect by doing the IC, does anyone recorded your bodyweight/muscle mass change after doing IC?

Hi, I bought the IC book and it mentioned about the hypertrophy effect by doing the IC, does anyone recorded your bodyweight/muscle mass change after doing IC?
I just track bodyweight.
For muscle mass, people around you will tell, you will feel it in your clothes and see it in the mirror.
For what it's worth, I did my first journey with IC last june for 3 weeks. Bodyweight didn't change but arms, back and shoulders had swolen and abs were more visible. And I pressed the 36kg for the first time in my life.

I apologise if this has already been covered as I am short of time to read every response on this forum… hence why I’m doing minimalistic training!
I know that IC pairs well with 044 just wondering if 044 would also pair well with Double IC?
Thanks in advance

First week in and I'm really enjoying the program so far. I felt really good after each session and the following days felt refreshed. Not sure if I read this analogy here or in the book but each session feels like bringing water to a slow simmer rather than a raging boil. My breathing has been controlled throughout the whole session and I'm able to own each rep.

Easy Session (Classic IC) 20kg: 24 sets. Eased into this one. Took it slow and rested properly.
Medium Session (Classic IC + Snatch) 20kg: 28 sets. Solid session, the snatch felt like adding just the right amount of spice to the combo.
Hard Session (Classic IC with Doubles) 2x20kg: 20 sets. Great session. Wasn't a total smoker, just the right of progression throughout this session.

I'm going to run this combo for a few more weeks to see how my sets progression. If I start hitting the 40 sets in 20 minutes I'll jump up to the 24kg and adjust from there.

I apologise if this has already been covered as I am short of time to read every response on this forum… hence why I’m doing minimalistic training!
I know that IC pairs well with 044 just wondering if 044 would also pair well with Double IC?
Thanks in advance
It can work well and as noted—watch recovery.

@Brett Jones
Thank you for your amazing program.
I recently read a book and want to do a press-focused Ironcardio.
I wonder if it's okay to remove the squat from Ironcardio.

Example)
1 Clean + 1Press + 1 Snatch
1 Clean + 2Press + 1 Snatch
1 Clean + 3Press + 1 Snatch

Or

2 Clean + 1Press
2 Clean + 2Press
2 Clean + 3Press

And if this example is possible, I wonder if Rop can be a kind of strength aerobics

Hello everyone,
Do some of you combine IC with a strength program, training both on alternate days?

Happy new year!!!!

No, for me that would be to much tbh, although of course it depends on what exactly your background, abilities and goals are.

If I was doing strength training (i.e. heavy dead/squat/press/pull/etc. barbell lifts) the only way I could do anything IC-like as well would be to do very easy recovery type sessions, by which point I'm not sure it's really IC as such in terms of the benefits you'd be getting from the program 'proper'.

Why try and do so much? Just do blocks one after the other, and maybe you can keep doing a long IC session once a week when on the strength block?

@Brett Jones
Thank you for your amazing program.
I recently read a book and want to do a press-focused Ironcardio.
I wonder if it's okay to remove the squat from Ironcardio.

Example)
1 Clean + 1Press + 1 Snatch
1 Clean + 2Press + 1 Snatch
1 Clean + 3Press + 1 Snatch

Or

2 Clean + 1Press
2 Clean + 2Press
2 Clean + 3Press

And if this example is possible, I wonder if Rop can be a kind of strength aerobics
The two examples you have laid out can work but would not avoid the squat unless an injury etc. makes it ill advised.

I would not use the ROP ladders up to 5 reps and unless you wave the volume the way John Spezzano did (see his article) I wouldn't use the ladders for every session.

Hello everyone,
Do some of you combine IC with a strength program, training both on alternate days?

Happy new year!!!!
Deadlift focus might work on a couple of days with 2-3 days of IC.

A low rep PTTP might work but watch overload of specific patterns (I would not barbell MP while on IC) and recovery.

Thought I'd post an update, after 12-13 weeks of Iron Cardio. At first done alone x3 per week, then dropped to 2x per week and combined with 2x Q&D for 8 weeks. The past 1 1/2 weeks I've combined it with chin-ups and dips, done using Myo-Reps for hypertrophy X2 per week. 20 kg. is my main weight for this program.

Started out with some surprisingly large imbalances, coming off 4 months of double kettlebell work with 16 kg. IC had that pretty much sorted in around 3 weeks of work. Pressed the 24 kg. for the first time around 4 weeks in, and have been visiting it every now and then since. It has probably gone from a 1RM to 3RM by now, but I haven't tested. Don't let the name of the program fool you! It delivers plenty of strength...

My last two sessions have been:
- 40 min. classic with 1x24 kg: 54 sets
- 20 min. classic + row with 1x20 kg: 34 sets

I feel like I could continue with this program forever and see progress. The almost endless options and variability keeps things fresh mentally as well, and I've not once felt "tired" of it. I'll continue my current combination for a few more weeks. Then we'll see. I'm contemplating running BTS3 before returning to IC again, but time will show. I have too many programs to choose from.

Thought I'd post an update, after 12-13 weeks of Iron Cardio. At first done alone x3 per week, then dropped to 2x per week and combined with 2x Q&D for 8 weeks. The past 1 1/2 weeks I've combined it with chin-ups and dips, done using Myo-Reps for hypertrophy X2 per week. 20 kg. is my main weight for this program.

Started out with some surprisingly large imbalances, coming off 4 months of double kettlebell work with 16 kg. IC had that pretty much sorted in around 3 weeks of work. Pressed the 24 kg. for the first time around 4 weeks in, and have been visiting it every now and then since. It has probably gone from a 1RM to 3RM by now, but I haven't tested. Don't let the name of the program fool you! It delivers plenty of strength...

I feel like I could continue with this program forever and see progress. The almost endless options and variability keeps things fresh mentally as well, and I've not once felt "tired" of it. I'll continue my current combination for a few more weeks. Then we'll see. I'm contemplating running BTS3 before returning to IC again, but time will show. I have too many programs to choose from.
Excellent—well done.

The two examples you have laid out can work but would not avoid the squat unless an injury etc. makes it ill advised.

I would not use the ROP ladders up to 5 reps and unless you wave the volume the way John Spezzano did (see his article) I wouldn't use the ladders for every session.
I usually warm up with SQ and I want to add Superslow 2.0 squat 2x/week. So I'm worried that SQ volume will be too large.

Great work!

Back
Top Bottom