all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

My third week of Iron Cardio is complete. I'm using dice rolls to make this variable, x3 per week. After working with a single 20 kg. bell up until today, it really ironed out some imbalances and I feel I started "owning the weight". Tried T2 with double 20 kg. today, and was pleasantly surprised. It was harder, but didn't kill me! 18 sets in 20 minutes. I'm in love with this program, and combining it with Q&D x2/week has yielded great results so far...

I'll soon try my hand with my single 24 kg. and see how that goes. I was unable to press that thing at all 4 weeks ago, after completing Maximorum with 2x16 kg. I'm afraid this will get expensive if the rapid progress continues. A 28 kg. bell isn't cheap!

My third week of Iron Cardio is complete. I'm using dice rolls to make this variable, x3 per week. After working with a single 20 kg. bell up until today, it really ironed out some imbalances and I feel I started "owning the weight". Tried T2 with double 20 kg. today, and was pleasantly surprised. It was harder, but didn't kill me! 18 sets in 20 minutes. I'm in love with this program, and combining it with Q&D x2/week has yielded great results so far...

I'll soon try my hand with my single 24 kg. and see how that goes. I was unable to press that thing at all 4 weeks ago, after completing Maximorum with 2x16 kg. I'm afraid this will get expensive if the rapid progress continues. A 28 kg. bell isn't cheap!
Excellent—keep us posted.

How to keep track of Traveling 2's (single kettlebell) without getting lost?
I use this:

You use another color for every movement and you can keep on track on all sets. Pretty simple and easy.

2x
C
P
S
C
P

C
S

I cross it out after completing the sequence on the right side.

What do you follow if you want to increase the difficulty? I did 3 workouts. I don't know if it will be more difficult to add a repetition (Classic ---> T2's) or maybe do a sets with two kettlebells (Classic double KB, or single KB, but heavier).

I find keeping track good mental exercise and do it in my head. If I do have a brainfart on a set (yes, that will happen at least once during a workout), and my traveling two gets lost during its travel, then no big deal! I'm still putting work in. I laugh at myself for being an idiot and correct on the next set... If someone has ADD or a similar issue, I see the problem and the two above suggestions are both practical and simple solutions. If you absolutely need it, I think simple is the key. Otherwise it'll steal focus and break the "zen-like rhythm" of doing IC.

I also run into this issue on Traveling 2s.

I make hash marks in my training log so I know that for a single bell C+P+Sq traveling 2s the sequence will take 6 sets so I can count where I am in the sequence to make sure I'm on the right set of two.
For +Snatch the sequence repeats every 8 sets.
Double bell every 3 sets.

I have a small whiteboard to track sets, reps, intervals, etc

Generally, I'm pretty good at keeping count of things and calculating send-off times during a workout, but as I've gotten older it's become a lot easier to lose track.

Got a bit of right elbow pain and did the following today
Set 1 clean press squat with 16 kg right hand
Set 2 same, left hand
Set 3 clean and 4 squats with 2x 24kg

Repeat for 30 mins.

Felt like I was saving the elbow.

I've been running 044 Q&D (Snatch focused) with 10-20 minute Iron Cardio sessions with aerobic roadwork as a supplement and have been noticing my stamina on the mats has improved measurably. I don't tire as quickly as I did last year.

Additionally that strength has helped me for when I had to spread 40x 18 kilogram bags of topsoil on bald patches on my parents' lawn this week on my 'rest day'.

Last edited:
I also run into this issue on Traveling 2s.

I make hash marks in my training log so I know that for a single bell C+P+Sq traveling 2s the sequence will take 6 sets so I can count where I am in the sequence to make sure I'm on the right set of two.
For +Snatch the sequence repeats every 8 sets.
Double bell every 3 sets.
I move my water bottle across my mat. Set 1 upper left, set 2 middle, set 3 upper right side. Repeat. If its a 4 exercise workout I move it around the 4 corners of the mat.

I'm looking to create custom dice for this and looking at the variations. Any others to add?

Exercise variationsModificationsTimes/SetsWeights
Clean, Press, SquatTraveling 2's20 minutesLight
Clean, Press, Squat, SnatchClean Ladders20 setsMedium
Clean, Press, Squat, Pull upPress Ladders30 minutesHeavy
Clean, Press, Squat, Snatch, pull upSquat Ladders30 setsVery Heavy
Clean, Jerk, SquatSingle KB40 minutes
Clean, Push Press, SquatDouble KB40 sets

Now, I know that some of the selections will preclude others, ie very heavy may not be a press or press ladder day, but would be the jerk or push press, but, very heavy could become a medium/heavy weight with double KBs

How is the difficulty level graded?

Classic
Traveling 2s
CPS+snatch
Ladder
CPS (L/R)+pullup
Doubles
?

Heavier bell

I'm a beginner. I would like to create a table of sequences according to difficulty level. You can always take on more weight.

How is the difficulty level graded?

Classic
Traveling 2s
CPS+snatch
Ladder
CPS (L/R)+pullup
Doubles
?

Heavier bell

I'm a beginner. I would like to create a table of sequences according to difficulty level. You can always take on more weight.
This will be different for each lifter depending on their ability with each left.

For example, at 250 lbs , I can't do 1 full pull up. So that one goes right to the top for me.

Back
Top Bottom