all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Iron Glutes and the Hip Bridge

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Denys Carthusian

Level 5 Valued Member
This isn't trolling about a favorite Dan John exercise, honestly. I'm just curious what others think of it and if this is one of those exercises that's worth adding into the movement template. I am completely neutral on it.

This isn't trolling about a favorite Dan John exercise, honestly. I'm just curious what others think of it and if this is one of those exercises that's worth adding into the movement template. I am completely neutral on it.
is that same as hip thrust/glute bridge promoted by Bret Contreras?
In that case I like it. I have relative heavy hip thrust for sets of 5-8 last few weeks and it feels great.

Any exercise that allows you to move safely a significant load is always worth it.

Also, hip thrusts are a must for any grappler.
I'm thinking, then, that hip thrusts are more of an SPP programming item, which would explain their absence in Strong First programming.

I think Bret Contreras theory makes a lot of sense. Glutes are a neglected muscle (In isolation) Perhaps they can increase a squat or a overhead press (or any exercise you want to add) if you can work it in.

Last edited:
I believe Bret Contreras considers both hip thrusts and kb swings to be a "horizontal" hip hinge movement. So if you're already doing swings, then hip thrusts might be redundant.
Hip thrust can be use as hypertrophy exercise by focusing on tempo/pause for sets of 10-20.
Kettlebell swing is more like power exercise. So it really depends on the goal that you should choose the exercise

Honestly have never done this exercise, other than the StrongFirst Hip Bridge in S&S warm-up. Wonder if I'm missing anything. (Nah... actually I don't.)

I had/have terrible flexibility my whole life and assumed I would never in my life touch my toes. My flexibility was so bad that when I took a flexibility elective in college, it’s the only course I ever didn’t get passing grades in lol. Then I had a coach that programmed regular heavy hip thrusts and out of nowhere I could touch my toes.

It’s a great movement IMO. I don’t know the science or magics involved, but it definitely helped me. I saw a lot of carryover to my deadlift and power cleans, don’t recall much with my squatting.

I'm thinking, then, that hip thrusts are more of an SPP programming item, which would explain their absence in Strong First programming.
Not really. Even if I wasn't a grappler I would still do hip thrusts. They are magic manna for my lower back and seem to tick a lot of boxes.

I came up with this little exercise matrix:

Vertical motion, barbell above shoulders
  • Squat.
  • Overhead press.
  • Pull up.
Horizontal motion
  • Hip thrust.
  • Bench press.
  • Bent over row.
Vertical motion, barbell below shoulders
  • Deadlift.
  • Dip.
  • Curl.
If you analyze the movement patterns of each lift, you'll start to see the pieces falling into place. The hip thrust is the only lower body movement that can be significantly loaded horizontally.

You could try variations if you don't find them challenging enough ie one leg, one leg with shin at 45 degrees, weighted one leg shin at 45,

I'm thinking, then, that hip thrusts are more of an SPP programming item,

Hip Thrust

I would not catagorize them as Special Physical Prepardness Training any more so than performing Hamstring Curls, Leg Extension, etc.

hip thrusts and kb swings to be a "horizontal" hip hinge movement. So if you're already doing swings,

Horizontal Hip "Thrust" Hinge Movement

Good point.

Kettlebells Swing involves the Glutes.

Both of these movement fall into the the category of being a Descending Strength Curve Movement; the OverLoading occurs at the End of The Range of these Movements. The initial phase of the Movement is fairly easy; which may assist with the Deadlift. More below.

The hip thrust is the only lower body movement that can be significantly loaded horizontally.

As Alan points out, Hip Thrust allow you to significantly horizontally employ heavier loads for the Glutes.

Band Kneeling Hip Thrusts

Personally, one of my preferences is this...

Perhaps they can increase a squat

fSquats vs. hip thrusts for glute growth: which is better? [New study review]
Squats vs. hip thrusts for glute growth: which is better?

While there probably is some carryover of Hip Thrust to Squat, it may be minimal.

As per this research...

Squats led to significant muscle growth in the glutes as well as the quads, and significant strength gains in the squat as well as the hip thrust.

Squats blew hip thrusts out of the water... Squats led to over double the glute growth and about 6 times more quad growth(!)
mail

...Full squats achieve high tension on the glutes as well as the quads over almost their full ROM.

Let's address this...

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Hyperterophy Research

Schoenfeld identified optimize Hypertrophy Training was elicited with...

1) Mechanical Tension

This means Maxium Strength Training with Heavy Load, Low Repetitions, and Long Rest Periods Between Sets.

2) Metabolic Stress

This means "The Pump" or "The Burn"; flooding the muscles with blood.

Light to Moderate Loads for Moderte to High Repetitions Per Set, with Short Rest Periods Between Sets.

3) Muscle Damage

a) Pushing an Exercise to failure or near failure InFrequently.

b) Full Range Movements

As the article states, "...high tension on the glutes as well as the quads over almost their full ROM".

Full Range Movements of muscles (Full Squats, Dumbbell Bench Press, Deficit Deadlifts, etc) produce muscle damage: which promotes and Anabolic, Muscle Building Effect.

Take-Home Messages

One of the Take Home Messages is...

For maximum glute growth, you need more than 1 exercise. In other word, Hip Thrust in conjuctions with something like Squats, Kettlebell Swings, Deadlifts, etc should be considered if your objective is to increase Glute Strength and/or Size

Squats Vs Hip Thrust

Another Chart...

Barbalho2.png

Conclusion

"...You should never do just one exercise to develop a given muscle group. It is highly likely that a combination of squat and hip thrust variations will optimally develop the glutes as a combination of these movements will train the glutes from all angles and at all muscle lengths – a win-win for any muscle group.

Butt To The Bar
My Analysis

In the top part of a Max Effort Deadlift, the Butt Needs To Be Driven To The Bar To Complete The Lift.

For individuals with a Top End issues in locking out the Deadlift, some type of Assistance Training Hip Thrust Exercise Movement should be considered.

Back
Top Bottom