all posts post new thread

Nutrition Is it possible to lower blood pressure with diet? If so, how?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bobbo

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

Can we lower our blood pressure by losing weight, limiting alcohol, avoiding tobacco, and becoming physically active? People who follow vegetarian and vegan diets typically have lower blood pressure???

Hello,

@Bobbo
Saturated fats are supposed to play a role.

There are also sodium and potassium balance. Basically, we eat too much of the first one.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Those are all good options to lower your blood pressure and you do not have to be a vegetarian. Vegetables high in nitrates in particular have been shown to reduce blood pressure. Beets and arugula are high in nitrates. Garlic has been shown to have positive effect on blood pressure as well.

That being said, everyone is different and see a doc if you are concerned about high blood pressure.

I have successfully lowered my blood pressure by 20 points (whatever the top one is) through diet. The approach I adopted was (1) increased consumption of fruit and veg with less meat and grain-based foods (2) eliminated added salt (3) eliminated caffeine (4) eliminated fast foods (5) reduced alcohol

Ive had success with lowering sodium and adding more pottasium my strategy was extra pot orange juice. Breakfast was low salt burrito, lunch salad regular supper plenty ballistics with kettlebells (I am a believer) went from 160/ 110 to 110/85 in 6 months like this. Exercise ,watch what you eat ,and balance sodium potassium it can help you buddy!get a monitor to keep track and feel out what works for you! Edit : I also cut completely the processed foods.

Last edited:
I think if you have a healthy weight i.e. do not carry too much body fat, most health problems will fade.
Combine that with reasonable nutrition and you are on the path to longevity

My whole family struggles with hypertension. I have had best results eliminating table salt, reducing processed foods, meditation.

It still runs on the high side but without other risk markers my Doc isn't recommending meds yet.

Kettlebells and intermittent fasting did the trick for me. My blood pressure and heart rate went down, even that I still am obese.

While I don't know if there is science behind this I have heard that a mostly plant based diet can lower blood pressure.

I went full on Vegan(no meat, dairy, or eggs) 3 months ago and my blood pressure dropped a small amount(it was already on the low side). I am looking forward to seeing blood work results next week to see how diet change will effect my cholesterol.

@Bobbo, there are many possible causes of high blood pressure. Please start with a doctor's visit and get your doctor's opinion and report back. I also recommend a home blood-pressure device so that you can compare your numbers during various parts of your day with those measured in the doctor's office.

-S-

These Power Foods For The Ultimate High Blood Pressure Diet
# White beans
# Pork tenderloin
# Fat-free plain yogurt
# Tilapia
# Kiwifruit
# Peaches and nectarines
# Bananas
# Kale
# Red bell pepper

Pork Tenderloin for high blood pressure? That is a new one for me.

So is fat-free yogurt.

-S-

For many people, this results in more body odor than their friends, family and co-workers can tolerate.

-S-

I am perhaps too selfish but if that would help me prevent hypertension (and so ultimately early death) I would not care too much about someone's sensitive nose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom