all posts post new thread

Old Forum Is this right?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kbkris

Level 2 Valued Member
So, I'm reading S&S today.  In it, the girevik is instructed to do his or her swings before the get-ups.  Is that a type-o?

Here is what I'm talking about:

"This workout is not a circuit; do all sets of swings before moving on to get-ups."  I don't have a page number to reference as I'm using the kindle version.

I'm asking because KB rules before this has always been to do grinds before ballistic movements.

Kris,

I don't know what the logic is, but Pavel does indeed have the ballistics before the grinds in Simple and Sinister.

I'm curious about this too. I don't have S&S yet (ordered paperback), but I did read another thread where swings were listed before TGUs.

I also thought the rule was grinds before ballistics, and that has always made sense to me from a safety perspective, so I'm wondering too.

Great thread guys.

In the PM Remastered section, swings are used not a a "smoker" but as a means of generating maximal power output.

On page 52 of the book, Pavel notes that Ivanov and others concluded that ten swings was the maximum number of reps to use in a set to keep the power output high when using a submaximal load in a ballistic.

Focus on creating power, not on getting gassed when doing your swings. There may be some days when you go all out and use the swing as a conditioning tool, but in the program as outlined in this section of the book, one should be laser-focus on power generation.

Imagine a fighter. He may have to engage in significant power-generating movements before laying hands on an opponent and going to the ground.

I've been using S&S after my long cycle training.  I wondered about this as well.  I've found that the get ups make a good cool-down.  For example, on Wednesday I did 7 minutes of long cycle, rested three minutes, then the swings for the allotted time, then rested 2 minutes, then the getups at the time/rep scheme in the book.  My heart rate at the end of the long cycle and again at the end of the swings was approaching 180 according to a quick check of my pulse at the neck.  I went into the get ups still breathing heavy, with an elevated pulse.  After my last getup, my pulse was almost down to normal, and I felt really good- no soreness afterward from the long cycle or swings.

Mark,

That makes sense.  I remember when I learned the (some of the) Oly lifts and variations from a USA Weightlifting coach.  The ballistics were always before the grinds in training because you need fresh muscles to properly do them.  I can see how the same logic applies here.

Mark thank you for clarifying. I'm going to complete my ETK PM for this week and next Monday I'm going to be all about my S&S.

Thanks again.

Kris and Jeffrey,

Thanks for the questions. Like I said, this is a great thread, I hope people keep inquiries such as these coming.

I purchased kindle version yesterday.  As you will see from my previous posts I have always been a bug fan of heavy getups and swings. So this  is right up my alley.  I am on day 2 and feel good. I do have a question though.  I have been running alot and haven't figured out yet when or how i should  fit in my runs?  anyone have any insight ?

Great explanation Mark, thank you so much. Thinking of it in more of a power generation/weightlifting context makes sense. Would it be fair to say doing it this way, together with the instructions on strict one minute rest between swings and getups, is also to make both exercises somewhat self-limiting?

Great thread Kris, thanks for starting, was wondering that myself.

Frank, what's your running schedule look like, in terms of how many days a week, and what distance in what time? Also, what context is this in? My answer would be very different for someone training for a marathon, vs. meeting a job requirement, vs recreational runner, etc.

Frank,

It really depends on your goal and why you're training.

Research going back to the 90's seems to lend some credibility to the theory that introducing a good strength program, like the Program Minimum, improves an aerobically oriented athlete's performance.

Is your running targeted toward a specific goal?

Mark,

I have no specific goal when it comes to running.  I would like to be able to do a 10k when the warmer weather comes back, but for now trying to run 4 to 5 miles a couple days a week.   I guess where I need some guidance is should i run the same days as SS when I run skip my SS workout. My thought now is to run in the morning like normal then do SS at night.

I  am new to running so not used to trying to fit my strength training into a running routine.  Before SS i was just doing some body weight stuff when i could.

--Frank

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom