all posts post new thread

Bodyweight It's official - Attending my first ever SFB event!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Something else I meant to comment - but even though I haven't mastered the OAOLPU yet, the carryover from practicing the skills has shown it's worth... I pressed the 24kg today just to see how things are.
Prior to SFB training - 5RM and 2RM on the left (true RMS)
Today - 4 easy reps on the right, 2 easy reps on the left. Not even a struggle!

#principles

Well everyone, try as I did I don't think I will hit the OAOLPU this weekend. I can hit it at about a 30 degree incline.
30 degrees is actually really close to ground. Remember weight drops off sinusoidally, not linearly, with the angle.

What I mean:
Linearly
If 90 degree is basically zero weight and zero degrees a full OAOLPU, then 30 degrees would be 66.6% the weight/difficulty of a OAOLPU.

Sinusoidally
Sine(90-30) =86% weight/difficulty of a OAOLPU.

If you were to do some 3-4 negatives with an assisted positive (only helping as much as you need) every day until the weekend. And considering that you'll be really excited and energized by everyone around you. And maybe you psyche yourself up a bit before the attempt...

I think you actually have a fair chance of achieving it. Obviously not telling you how to live your life but if your schedule is cleared up, it might be worth the good old college try. Worst thing that happens is you don't get it, which is your assumption anyways. GTGing neurologically intense work like negatives can seriously increase strength in a manner of days.

Just a thought. Tell us how the SFB goes!

That is quite interesting @305pelusa . Honestly I would've never thought of it that way. I can control a good negative on the right, not so good on the left. Maybe I will get there, who knows! Took your advice yesterday and will do so again today. Practice some at an easy incline Friday for a "tonic" day and hopefully go into the weekend fresh!

@wespom9, you have a few months to pass the tests for good reason - you'll be better after the weekend than you are now, and I'm sure you'll nail it well within the time limit.

-S-

Well everyone, SF does not disappoint! I had an amazing time at the certification. We had a small group, but we had a lot of fun. We were led by Jon Engum and Cole Summers, who between them have so much knowledge, experience and passion it was a privilege to attend and listen to their stories and coaching techniques.

I was not able to get my OAOLPU (I controlled a negative but couldn't come up), however I have walked a way with a very good idea of what and how I need to improve, and more importantly have more tools in my pocket to be a better coach.

I made a vow to myself I'm not going to wear the SF shirt I received until I pass the test, and when I do I will post a video of it! Meanwhile, the shirt is sitting on my dresser in plain view reminding me of what I need to do. I've set a goal of April 15th to complete it. That gives me time to unwind from the cert, dial in the lessons I've learned and structure a 6 week plan to get there. I feel I'm not far away, but the 6 weeks will really help me own each drill and concept along the way. If I get there sooner, even better but I'm in no rush.

Thanks to everyone who gave tips and advice on the way! I hope to have my name with an SFB on it in the sidebar come Spring!!

Wes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom