all posts post new thread

Off-Topic ***Jiu Jitsu guys!!!

Not excluding people who don’t do Jiu Jitsu but i enjoy tips from you as well, but what program (from any coach or SF) helped your vo2 on the mats? I’m not worried about the strength part, more so noticing WTHE when you roll.

I cant Stand Turkish get up’s (go figure being a Bjj athlete ), swings and OHS make my low back hurt and to this day don’t know why. But snatches don’t.

So with that being said , any programs that don’t have those movements helped your game a lot?
Nothing will get you as conditioned as sprinting. IMO, sprinting gets you conditioned for almost everything.
If, for whatever reason you don't want to run, stationary bike sprints will also do the job.
30 seconds sprinting, 90 seconds recovery for 15-20 minutes would be perfect.

Outside of just rolling more the two things that improved my cardio the most were my Air Bike and running KSK.

For the Air Bike I do either 30 seconds hard and 90 seconds at 50% or 8 second sprints and 52sec at 50%.

For KSK you probably want to go down a bell from the recommended bell (I should have used a 28KG but used a 24KG) and try to push the pace a bit.

On a side note- since you said you hate TGU's - ever try them with a sandbag? A few weeks ago I set a timer for 5, 5min rounds with 1min rest. Sandbag TGU on the right, SB TGU on the left, SB bear hug march for 30sec, repeat for the round. It was a killer.

Beyond developing some mat cardio from rolling directly (which I assume everyone who trains has achieved at a certain point) the biggest benefit I have found is from adding in some low intensity cardio. Being a bigger guy I found myself still gassing out after several 5 minute rounds and couldn't break that plateau. Another big guy at the gym turned me onto adding in a couple 30 minute stationary bike session a week. Typical LISS stuff. That helped me tremendously. I guess I was missing that aerobic base and I suspect many other people are in BJJ. Rolling by itself just doesn't address this part of your aerobic fitness. This was then corroborated by a lot of the stuff I read here and in references like the Tactical Barbell books which advocate for including this element in your training.

The most important thing for mat cardio is really just to train more. I think a lot of people assume this is because you are building aerobic capacity on the mats, but it's actually because you're getting better at jiu-jitsu. Every move you make should be deliberate, efficient, and have a high likelihood of success (or will set something up that will be successful).

If you haven't trained in 2 weeks, you should still be able to do 12 six-minute rounds without feeling gassed - without a ton of "extra" work.

But in addition to this, get strong first. A mix of kettlebell ballistics and grinds (S&S, AXE, Q&D, KB Strong, etc.) over a long time horizon will help as well.

Typical LISS stuff. That helped me tremendously. I guess I was missing that aerobic base and I suspect many other people are in BJJ. Rolling by itself just doesn't address this part of your aerobic fitness. This was then corroborated by a lot of the stuff I read here and in references like the Tactical Barbell books which advocate for including this element in your training.

But in addition to this, get strong first. A mix of kettlebell ballistics and grinds (S&S, AXE, Q&D, KB Strong, etc.) over a long time horizon will help as well.

100%

These are what I have found to be the most productive. I think that a lot of times, recreational athletes (which I assume we are) tend to miss the forest for the trees. We look at what professionals are doing, with dedicated S&C programs (even in jiujitsu), and forget that their entire jobs are training and recovery. As amateur/recreational/hobbyist jiujitsu athletes, we really have to remember that our S&C programs need to supplement our jiujitsu. Most of our improvement takes place on the mat, so we don't want to be drained and have anything keep us from being effective training there. Depending on your training schedule, typically 3-4 times per week, I think adding 2-3 S&C sessions are great, if you can recover properly. To that end, I really feel like we get our "sprinting" work done during the rounds of sparring. Usually short duration, high intensity. What's missing is the LISS and strength work. Finding a way to work those things in, while keeping fresh for training is the key. I think Justin's "novocaine" protocol is a great mix, but anything following those principles would work great!

I've been running through Pavel M's "4 weeks to Flexible Steel" program in conjunction with Single bell C&J Plan A and Q&D snatches. With lots of walking to supplement my aerobic capacity. My variety days also include stuff like a sledgehammer complex and stonelifting.

I plan to put it to the test at NAGA next month. See if I can't get me a championship belt.

I've always had ridiculous cardio so YMMV. The program that made me feel most invincible was Viking Warrior Conditioning by Kenneth Jay. I only did the first part (up to 40 minutes of 15:15 intervals) but it was great. I felt like I could never get tired. Will probably revisit it at some point :)
I have That book. I get insane blisters lol

Switching to exclusively breathing with the nose during all kinds of strength & conditioning as well as rolling was a great gamechanger in my experience. Trying to brath calmly between swing sets in S&S seemed to work well (also when injuries prevented me from running), and applying some breath holds during running (don't dop too much of that nowadays) also worked efficiently.
I always try to do this but end up forgetting.

I've been running through Pavel M's "4 weeks to Flexible Steel" program in conjunction with Single bell C&J Plan A and Q&D snatches. With lots of walking to supplement my aerobic capacity. My variety days also include stuff like a sledgehammer complex and stonelifting.

I plan to put it to the test at NAGA next month. See if I can't get me a championship belt.
Lemme know how naga goes!

Back
Top Bottom