all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Jump Rope

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Xcal

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been thinking about this again recently. Why doesn't anybody here talk about skipping? I was really into skipping until 2 years ago...August is exactly 2 years since my health declined! I'm ready to start thinking about jumping again
If you are proficient at it, you can use jump rope. Otherwise, ...

now that I think of it. I did skip GTG from time to time when practicing different skipping tricks.

Hello,

Tyson's jump rope is no joke !

From a pure cardiovascular standpoint, as long as you are in Z2, regardless the tool (running, skipping, rowing...), for 20-30 minutes+, you are good to go. Muscles only 'see' a rythmic and coordinated contraction and relaxation they can sustain for a long time.

Skipping is a technique, so is running for instance. Therefore, one has to be proficient enough at it to reap the benefits (otherwise one is 'just' learning technique).

Overall, if you like it, are good at it and can do it, then do it. It is better to skip in Z2 than doing nothing. Plus, the fact that skipping is not the most common way to do cardio does not mean it's not effective !

Skipping can also be done 'here and there, GTG style if one works remotely as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

my Workout Of the Decade was these 5 moves

skipping
swings
weighted lunges
weighted push-ups
weighted rows

but everything got turned higgledy-piggledy when I discovered the 9-minute-challenge and sandbag shouldering so now I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Anyways, I'm babbling: skipping is amazing and it's one of my core exercises.

Skipping is a fantastic aerobic exercise. I vastly prefer it to jogging and it can be done almost anywhere. Skipping on 1 leg for entire rounds and proficiency at double unders builds some nice attributes I never got from running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I jump rope a few minutes as a warmup every time before I train, and have for decades.

Many years ago it was my only real exercise, done with a 1/2" sisal rope and 1 1/2" dowels for the handles, between 25 and 45 minutes depending.

Also use it for currently for Tabata-style HIIT and occasionally as inter-set interval, combined with isometrics.

Skipping provides you one aspect of indoor cardio nobody talks about - calf/ankle activation. Swings and snatches are just better for elevating hearth rate - the intensity of skipping is just low. However, recent studies show calves are way too important for hearth health: Tip: Small Calves Equals Shorter Life

Of course, if I can do hill sprinting, I will choose this in 100% of cases.

For a short 2-3 min round - yes, skipping is great.
For conditioning - I am still not convinced. I had the same choice. I have tried skipping. I still have the rope. I have even tried skipping with HR monitor.
There are better choices.

Hello,

I built up slowly toward 1h of skipping. Finally gave up because that's boring.

I never experienced soreness because I progressed very slowly. Plus, one can also play with footwork to "preserv" legs: high knees, 2-3 rounds on the same leg while the other is resting, etc... The move is supposed to be very smooth.

As for the impact, there is, IMHO, less impact than running (even if there is still an impact compared to running for instance). Indeed, depending on the footwork one uses, feet barely jump from the floor (just enough to let the rope pass).

Kind regards,

Pet'

From memory. I think I kept my skipping to a max of 20-30minutes + warmup+cool down. I agree that an hour is boring. Even if you have a full bag of tricks under your belt.

I will now skip as a regular warmup routine rather than the focus of the day.

Hello,

Something which can be done to make things "interesting":
- round 1: easy pace, simple footwork
- round 2: easy pace + a few moderate pace portions (up to 10s)
- round 3: easy pace + a few all out portion (up to 5s)
- round 4: pace depending on "how one feels" (can be a cool down, can be a 2nd round 3, a Mike Tyson's round, etc...)

That's something fairly typical in boxing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have found jumping rope to be highly preferable to running for folks like myself who are overweight and/or have deconditioned knees, ankles, and feet. There is definitely some impact while skipping but I find it to be much more tolerable especially once the technique is dialed in a bit. I think people (particularly fit or small-framed people) forget or do not understand how much force can be generated on the knees by a 250+ lb body while running.

I was introduced to it through Muay Thai practice and now try to incorporate it into my sessions as a warm up or even just as a standalone cardio session.

Last edited:
I broke my house down hunting for my ropes, and found the heavy leather, and light plastic ones. I broke the plastic one within a few moments of skipping. It got brittle after +2 years of inaction. I added to the pile of broken training-consumables: jump-ropes, those hand squeezer things (I gave up many years ago, now KB gives me better hand strength), nunchakus (I love them, childish, but Bruce Lee!), and shoes.

Anyway. the heavy rope was great. I spent about 10 minutes last night, more or less 15s on and 30s rest. started slow and picked up fairly quickly. the rest period was awesome compared to my previous life of just attacking non-stop until I couldn't breathe. I was able to focus on technique in the 15s on period and did a number of things that I didn't expect to on my first return...like riding a bicycle.

Skipping now owns a regular spot in my warmup routine. I just need to see how the upfront cardio affects my A+A or other recovery times for the main KB sessions and adjust accordingly. I suspect an immediate increase of the recovery periods between sets, but long term reduction as I acclimitize to the new routines. I'm also acclimitizing to A+A, so it is a complex self-investigation.

It was our warmup for Muay Thai class and I have kept it. I am recovering from plantar fasciitis a foot problem and it helped stretch and strength my feet. Thanks for reminding me. I brought my rope while traveling and forgot about it!

I really like skipping but struggle to do it as a sustained skip. I’ve found that best thing is 20 seconds of skipping, 10 seconds reset. Repeat for ages!

I love skipping, used to do it before boxing every day. Don’t do it as much but anytime I hit the heavy bag I always warm up with skipping. Have also worked with different patterns and sets to improve footwork. Never done the Tyson workout.

I never got up to an hour but at my peak would do 30 minutes continuous. It’s definitely a thing where you just have to learn to push past the first minute and then it gets easier over time.

Pretty hard to hit 30-45 minutes of Zone 2 via skipping.

Also hard (at least for me) to hit Zone 5 at all using skipping.

Quick feet are happy feet. I think that it is a good form of gpp. I wouldn't skip as a core exercise now that I have 2 cores (run and kb) and like most of my other training, I really enjoy the technical component of learning the tricks.

I loathe running, it's so boring. I won't do it for long periods of time.
Skipping I could add in between swings (60% vo2max effect of running) or snatches (85% vo2max effect of running).
But I won't, it's just an example of a use case

If I compare swings or snatches with running for pure "conditioning" (read vo2max) it is stupid, waste of time.

Things are hardly black or white. They might actually be somewhere in a gray-scale or a prism. But here on the forums they are usually only right/wrong... You have a thread here where people actually argue what dumbbells are correct and incorrect...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom