all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Jump Rope

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Quick feet are happy feet. I think that skipping is a good form of gpp. I wouldn't skip as a core exercise, but it is a great filler/warmup, and like most of my other training, I really enjoy the technical component of learning the tricks.

Hello,

Even if VO2 max remains an indicator of health, one has to keep in mind that it represents only a small portion of the entire cardio respiratory capacity. That the "tip of the pyramid". More content on the topic can be picked up in "Training For the Uphill Athlete".

It is mostly trained using "intervals" work.

However, if by conditioning one understands the ability to run / walk / run for extented period of time - meaning a steady state pace - , then there are low hanging fruits, easy to pick up. Zone 2 training, regardless the tool (skipping, running...) is the way to go and is supposed to be 80% of training duration (conditioning wise). Z5 work will improve Z2 training and Z2 will improve the ability to recover between Z5 bouts.

Working mostly on "intervals" (even if we are talking A+A) is kind of "sub optimal" if one is looking for pure conditioning and can lead to aerobic deficiency syndrome.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Zone 2 training, regardless the tool (skipping, running...)
+1. I ensure to get a 90+ minute walk/jog every Sunday, and a 30min walk with a moderate KB towards this end

Z5 work will improve Z2 training and Z2 will improve the ability to recover between Z5 bouts.
+1 I do my best to get in a 45 minutes interval or tempo run that zooms in and out of Z5.
Working mostly on "intervals" (even if we are talking A+A) is kind of "sub optimal"
the other 2or3 days are 30-50min dedicated to this type of work. and now includes some skipping. I clearly remember touching into Z5 in heavy skipping moments (double unders or whatevery they're called), but that was never sustainable for me 2 years ago...as opposed to running where I can sustain z5 for quite a while...simply a matter of skills because I could not do more than 3or5 reps of double unders, but I can run without falling for as long as I want.

overall, most of my training is around and below Maf/talk test, which sortoff equates to Z2 (depending on the zone definitions), for me it is 134 BPM when I start walking/slowing down and maybe 120BPM when I start speeding up (or the next set of C+J/swing/etc))

Edit: the strict EMOM or E30s is a different thing altogether. A+A style E30 generally keeps me in the Z2, but harder EMOM (e.g. 10swings EMOM) throws all HR monitoring and Zone thoughts out, it is straightfoward time and effort based. This happens regularly, but not often, e.g. 1 every 3or4 weeks with a higher frequency as I reach the end of a training cycle (stronger in the particular move e.g. my cycle of 100 swings with 24kg ended on 30June...the last week or so was ramping up my speed/power in each rep while shortening the rest between each set). and my running program of 12 weeks build up slowly but strongly towards week 10, then tapers for 2 weeks until the 'race-day'. I am not so fanatic about sticking to the running program, but am fanatic about my 3 days on the road (1 long slow, 1 short hard, 1 KB WalKBie)

Last edited:
Hello,

As far as I am concerned, I usually utilize the talk test to be sure I am in Z2. If I want to be in Z5, sprinting is my tool of choice, as I guess I am not skill enough to do double unders long enough to reach Z5, even as a boxer...

Swings and skipping are a good combination, IMHO.

Otherwise, I enjoy doing "fartlek", which is MAF running with some sprints here and there (not necessarily timed or whatever).

Kind regards,

Pet'

my Workout Of the Decade was these 5 moves

skipping
swings
weighted lunges
weighted push-ups
weighted rows

but everything got turned higgledy-piggledy when I discovered the 9-minute-challenge and sandbag shouldering so now I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Anyways, I'm babbling: skipping is amazing and it's one of my core exercises.
What’s the “9 min challenge”?

Skipping in boxing is done for the foot work. Skipping for conditioning is stupid. Running and jogging have a lower skill requirement, and a more sustainable for conditioning.
Try to be respectful…if you’re not actually adding anything keep it to yourself. That being said, your post is stupid. 75% of runners get injured every training cycle and proper running form is a high skill ceiling.

Best used for HIIT though IMO.

Try to be respectful…if you’re not actually adding anything keep it to yourself. That being said, your post is stupid. 75% of runners get injured every training cycle and proper running form is a high skill ceiling.

Been looking at these lately, pricey, but look like they're worth it.
And they make some heavy suckers.

Ive had a ball bearing one before (that fell apart eventually) but never weighted. Dude at the calisthenics park would always have one and let me use it. They’re legit, those are expensive but id rather get a good one than another cheap one that will eventually fall apart.

I find it extremely difficult to do for time. Its on the list of things to have another go at....... one day .............. probably a good one to take on holidays.

I have jumped rope as a cardio activity for 30+ minutes - and I found it stupid. I am adding my personal experience.

The amount of runners in the world (amateur and professional) is overwhelming. That might be the cause of injury statistic.
I have also jogged for 10 years, also sometimes with injuries. No, running is not a high skill activity. Every child can do it.

If you are talking competitive running - I agree. That can be a skill. But I wounder how many of us on this forum are competitive runners.
Also - we can examine why we run. If we are running to make a certain distance in a certain time - form matters. If we are just keeping our heart rate up - it does not matter that much. It can be jogging, walking on the treadmill, or elliptical. All of those would be better than a jump rope. Mostly, because it is easier to sustain consistent effort for a long period of time with a low impact repetitive motion.

Last edited:
Hello,

Jumping rope brings something interesting: this kind of mix between ankles stiffness / flexibility. Same note for the knees. That's something useful for most locomotive activities. Because the jumps are usually fairly low, there is very low impact as well. One can add variety (high knee, several jumps on the same leg, etc...). Boxers are usually good at that.

It takes time and practice to be proficient at jumping rope before reaping all the benefits (conditioning, proprioception, etc...). In that sense, running can more immediate. Everyone can run 10 minutes without training, from scratch. I am not sure that's the same for jumping rope.

For interval purposes, as a boxer myself, I think that 2 double unders are more effective than other "forms". Doing so, that's close to sprint, burpees, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have jumped rope as a cardio activity for 30+ minutes - and I found it stupid. I am adding my personal experience.

The amount of runners in the world (amateur and professional) is overwhelming. That might be the cause of injury statistic.
I have also jogged for 10 years, also sometimes with injuries. No, running is not a high skill activity. Every child can do it.

If you are talking competitive running - I agree. That can be a skill. But I wounder how many of us on this forum are competitive runners.
Also - we can examine why we run. If we are running to make a certain distance in a certain time - form matters. If we are just keeping our heart rate up - it does not matter that much. It can be jogging, walking on the treadmill, or elliptical. All of those would be better than a jump rope. Mostly, because it is easier to sustain consistent effort for a long period of time with a low impact repetitive motion.
This is what you should have wrote the first time. Context, background, actual advice from experience.

Learning to jump tope is also very easy, i teach it to kindergartners every year. The high skill cap of proper running is what leads to injuries.

Last edited:
My experience with jump rope leads me to two major observations:

- it is scalable and customizable. For general fitness, 30 minutes daily with a heavy jumprope is equivalent to all manner of sub-max circuit training plus aerobic response. The ability to chose the surface you jump on is part of that customization.

- it is the cheapest form of max effort aerobics that will allow one to hit 90% of their max heart rate in under 10 seconds (once warmed up). This makes it the most accessible means of training Tabata for those with limited space or money.

Jump rope is nice but like Pavel.K said, it can be quite challenging to push intensity. That's also my experience. I used to jump rope a lot when playing soccer - as a part of conditioning for my ankle + ability to move on the ball of the feet quickly (goalkeeper).
At first you can easy push the heart rate but after awhile you get better so each strike cost less energy. If you use it as hiit/other high intensity training the benefits withdraw quickly. But if you use it as overall conditioning tool (like another way to put you in zone 2 and stay there) then it's good

Jump rope is nice but like Pavel.K said, it can be quite challenging to push intensity. That's also my experience. I used to jump rope a lot when playing soccer - as a part of conditioning for my ankle + ability to move on the ball of the feet quickly (goalkeeper).
At first you can easy push the heart rate but after awhile you get better so each strike cost less energy. If you use it as hiit/other high intensity training the benefits withdraw quickly. But if you use it as overall conditioning tool (like another way to put you in zone 2 and stay there) then it's good
Interesting, when I used (use) it for HIIT I can always pin my HR. I sometimes have to berate myself for not keeping my knees high.

Interesting, when I used (use) it for HIIT I can always pin my HR. I sometimes have to berate myself for not keeping my knees high.
Hmm, probably because I don't use the high knees or any exotic version (I'm in an apartment). Most of the time mine is double under. When I try to push the speed I will hit myself with the rope

One of the nice things about jumping rope is that you really don't need more than an inexpensive basic PVC or beaded rope. My favorite PVC rope is a Hererope 7mm which you can find on Amazon. 7mm is a little heavier than most "non-weighted" PVC ropes, which are typically 4-6mm, so it gives a little more resistance and feedback than a lighter rope, but doesn't feel slow like a weighted rope. It's a nice balance, and it also has ball bearing handles so it turns very smoothly. Basic beaded ropes are also really good for just about anything, and a nice balance between too light and too heavy. Elitejumps.co, formerly known as EliteSRS, makes nice beaded ropes. I also have a Lifeline USA beaded rope that I like a lot because it has short, heavy beads that give it a little more weight than most other beaded ropes.

If you want to go heavier, Honor Athletic makes a nice 10mm PVC rope, and Elitejumps make a nice 12mm PVC rope (called the Muay Thai 3.0).

I have heavy ropes, but tend to stick with the midweight regular ropes.

Besides the price, one thing I don't like about the Crossropes is that they aren't adjustable. Rope length is very interactive with technique. If you keep your elbows in close and back further, it effectively lengthens the rope by narrowing the arc. If you have your elbows out, it effectively shortens the rope by widening the arc. So as you develop your technique, you may find your rope length needs to change. I'm really picky about my rope length and frequently make small adjustments as I experiment with tweaks in technique, which is easy to do on most PVC or beaded ropes, but impossible on a Crossrope.

BTW, I find rope jumping to be a great low impact exercise. I have such badly damaged ankles that even normal walking is painful, but I can still jump rope (although my left ankle is so bad, I can't do steps where I only jump off one foot). You only have to jump high enough to clear the rope, so it can be very low impact. But between a higher cadence, moves like double unders or high knees, and/or heavier ropes, it can get very intense. And you can manipulate types of moves, types of rope, and work/rest schemes to manage fatigue and heartrate in all kinds of ways. For instance, you can do side swings, where you swing the rope, but don't jump over it, as active rest within work intervals or during rest intervals.

+1

Pretty hard to hit 30-45 minutes of Zone 2 via skipping.

Also hard (at least for me) to hit Zone 5 at all using skipping.
It's not hard to hit 30-45 minutes of Zone 2, though I guess it depends how one defines it. I wear a HR monitor and do however many (40-60) at the top of every minute and adjust the reps as the minutes go by. It's not a CONSISTENT HR (I bounce between, say 120 and 135 every minute), but it works (again, depending on one's definitions, I suppose).

I've also been doing double-unders using the Q&D 044 template. Definitely sends me to Zone 5. Of course, being able to consistently DO double-unders without erring, while in or nearing Z5, is a pretty big barrier to entry, I guess. Personally, I'm only sort of consistent (I start missing when I get really tired).

It also needs to be built up to from a "don't strain your 54 year old calf or tear your 54 year old achilles tendon" perspective......

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom