all posts post new thread

K1 Program from Hardstyle Method

@Tjerr and @chrisnewbery - Do you guys do the full Hardstyle Method Movement Prep before each workout? I love it, but it takes 15 mins. On snatcj days, after the Movement Prep and TGUs I’m like a half hour in by the time I get to the snatches (which then take another like 20-35 mins). I like Chris’ idea of splitting a session over a day or two, because the other “essential” moves are so good.
I dont personally. Not sure i have seen the full prep.
I just do what I need to do and start training. If Im in a rush I dont really warm up to be honest.

@Tjerr and @chrisnewbery - Do you guys do the full Hardstyle Method Movement Prep before each workout? I love it, but it takes 15 mins. On snatcj days, after the Movement Prep and TGUs I’m like a half hour in by the time I get to the snatches (which then take another like 20-35 mins). I like Chris’ idea of splitting a session over a day or two, because the other “essential” moves are so good.

Nope, I almost never warm-up. The sessions are long enough without it.

I am doing GFM mobility on my first rest day, unloaded mobility. And am planning to do the flexible steel loaded Mobility on Saturday as 'scratch the itch' training. Also thinking about an easy zone 2 run before the loaded Mobility on Saturday.

Thanks! It’s such a good program - agree with it being more of a “park bench” program. With the full Movement Prep and some of the higher volume days for the Press and Snatch, plus the recommended rest time on some of the essentials/accessory work, it got to be a lot. I like to try to keep things under 45 minutes, and I found myself going over an hour at times.

I know there’s the option to “scratch the itch”, but apart from some work on the rower this program doesn’t leave many itches to scratch. I might try to do the full Movement Prep in advance of some Zone 2 rowing on the off days and modify the warm up on the program days.

Man, I messed up today; did 20 Get ups with a 36, then the snatches and ab work. Session felt fine, but it completely drained all my energy, all I want to do is sleep now:confused:.

I'll take the weekend to think about dropping a bell back.

I thought that the snatch day started with 10 getups, 5 per side. But now that I look at it again, yeah, it’s 10x1/1 - 20 getups.

Yes, is 20;

Today still felt completely empty; felt cold the whole day, as if I used so much energy that I couldn't even keep warm:rolleyes:.

No achings, no soreness, just plain cold and tired; fried nervous system.

From Monday on, going to drop a bell back to 28 for the snatches and therefore also a bell back for get ups.

Oh, I’ve also only been doing 5 per side. Don’t see myself doing 10 per side - very diminishing returns, for me at least, and not worth the extra time.

Definitely learned some lessons, increased the weight to fast and completely fried myself. Couldn't train for a full week, so like Tim sais, only bell up after all the brackets.

And with family life, vacations, weird working days, shifted my focus on Simple and Sinister, working towards Sinister (did Solid Saturday without any difficulties) and want to go back to K1 in probably October or something. Too much to do in this period, to have 4 one hour sessions, so keep the basics, and my goal (as written down at 13 december last year: Timeless Sinister and a 56 Get Up).

Hows training going for others with Tim and Mikes method. Any decent lessons learnt? Conversation points?

I'm on my 5th week of it. Really like it - but its probably not for everyone. A few thoughts
  • Despite what they say, I don't see it as a minimalist program at all. If you do all of the accessories, you have a very comprehensive program with something like 9-10 different exercises each week (despite the fact that the snatch and MP are the only 'primary' ones). It's very well balanced, which I like - but the sessions are not short (60+ mins if you do everything without rushing, some sessions I get done in closer to 45 mins if I push the pace).
  • Its not for those who want clear progression within a given timeframe. Unlike something like ROP, you aren't advancing at a linear pace, and you don't know when you might hit whatever goals you have. I think its a great program for someone with a 'park bench' mentality - you do the work, don't have to worry about hitting targets or what happens if you miss a session, and over time you get stronger. I like this about it, others wouldn't.
  • I've modified a few things - I only do half the TGUs prescribed (10 instead of 20) and treat it as a warm-up for snatch days (doing a rep each side at 16, 20, 24, 28, 32). I've substituted heavy farmers carries for most of the ab work, something like 5-10 x :30 carries with 2x32 KBs. Still do some hanging knee raises, but otherwise think the carries are a better use of time for me.
  • I've been hitting the max sets on the pull-ups and DFSQs to get some hypertrophy benefits. This is working well for me as an accessory to the MP at low reps. At some point I'll probably drop the reps down and increase weight, then build back up to sets of 8. There is a decent amount of flexibility within the framework to allow for experimentation and hitting different/new areas. They don't spell it all out for you, but most intermediate/advanced folks will get how to adapt it in the right ways.
  • I'm doing it alongside a decent bit of rucking (both unstructured at easy pace outside and for focused zone 2 step-up sessions), and one short burpee workout a week. I feel as fit as I ever have, and this combination of things is really checking all the boxes for me. Again, as my goals/interests shift, I feel like the framework from this program can be adapted quite a bit to accomodate.
Hope this is helpful.

I have altered a couple things also to adapt to my lifestyle.
  • Rarely do the entire practice in one go. Ill usually do 1 or 2 components daily and spread one practice over a day ot two. I do try and complete it in one day but if my day gets away from me then thats fine. Happens often having 3 kids under 4.
  • I too jumped the weights up too quickly and here I a little over a year later and Im back with the original weights I started with beginning from scratch again. Yes I am stronger but after jumping up I felt I needed to revert back after being bitten by too much fatique. It looked fine on paper to increase the weight but really it was my ego that got in the way. I was making great progress with the original weights, felt I could increase but in hindsight I ahpuld have done what Tim stated and finish all brackets well, not just finish them for the sake. Big lesson there. Even though Im back down to 32 snatch and double 32s press Im feeling Im getting better progress and enjoying my training much much more.
  • Swapped in deadlifts for 2HS. My heaviest bell is a 48kg and for 2HS it feels a bit light for 10x10 on the 2min. I have been thinking about doing 2HS with the 48 and just decreasing the rest period do I stay more on track with complimenting the snatch. Would love some thoughts on this? Have played with double bell swings but I really find them uncomfortable. Dont quite feel the connection through the posterior chain like I do with 2HS or deadlifts.
  • For the core component I have been doing exercises form GMB fitness. Just found some on their youtube channel and feel like really help.
  • I swap in and out with double front squats and bearhug squats with my sandbag. Working on Double Front Squats at the moment to support a strong press but will go back to the strongman sandbag eventually as they feel great. Played around with bear hug squats and shouldering the bag and squating from there.
  • Ive done th3 same with get ups. Just 10 singles.
Just find the philosphy behind Hardatyle Methods programming really works. Especially with slowing people down. It is a very adaptable program to all lifestyles. I am fortunate I can train at work so Im sure a common 9-5 job would say different. But by me breaking it up over the week I usually have no issue in getting all the work done.

Back
Top Bottom