all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB "Even Easier Strength"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

One of the other posts regarding Dan Johns "Big Three" got me thinking about his "easy strength" programs. We have S&S as an equivalent concept but I'm not sure it really hits everything I would like it to. I have been supplementing it with squats, hill runs, and lunges. So my question is what would fill out the rest of Dan's "even easier strength" if only using KBs?

Even Easier Strength daily volume
Hinge: 10x Deadlift or 100x Swings
Squat: 10x Squat
Press: 10x Press
Pull: 10x Batwing
Loaded Carry: 100m Farmer
I feel like the KB version would be S&S with a little more.
Hinge: 100x Swing
Squat: ## Goblet Squat or Front Squat
Press: ## Press or Clean & Press
Pull: ## Pull-Up
Loaded Carry: 10x TGU
What seems like a good daily dose volume for squats, presses, and pulls? Or would you replace those with something else?

I think the original "even easier strength" rules would apply. That is, 10 reps per session, doing no more than 5 reps per set (3x3, 2x5, 2-3-5, 6 singles, etc) for total body lifts, which in your case would be squats (and TGUs, but they play by some different rules due to their time under tension, so 8-10 is probably good). For lifts that use less muscle mass (presses in this case), you would still keep the sets under 5 reps, but you would do up to 15 total reps. I'm not sure where pull ups would fall into it, my gut says they would do alright with 10 total reps, especially if you're doing swings. The swings would be in the range of 50-100 total reps, with the max reps per set being 20 (although it seems like 10 is a better number).

In my opinion, a double kettlebell deadlift for 10 total reps would fit in quite nicely as well.

I'm not quite sure S&S is an easy strength equivalent. S&S is a GPP program that can be done solo or concurrently with another training mechanism, ie other program, martial arts, etc. S&S is merely a minimalist version of the essentials. In "Easy Strength", there is a page or two that shows that the movements can be done with any implement, though inherently there are some more suited than others; eg big hinge is a barbell DL. Picking your 5 lifts and sticking to the easy strength rules, no matter which implement you choose, would be an acceptable part of the program.

I was trying to find a KB only experiment I did from 2012/13. It was the 40 Days program with just KBs. Five Days a week of One Arm Press, Pull Ups, Swings, Goblet Squats and TGUs. I was rebuilding after a total hip replacement. I was also doing Tim Anderson's Pressing Reset (6 Point Rocks, Nods, Rolls, March in Place). I kept the Press and Goblet Squats in the 15-25 range, if memory serves but it seems right, Pull Ups at a total of ten (never miss!), Swings 75-250 per workout, and, at most, 5 + 5 in the TGU. (Or just a part of them on an easy day.

I have a good selection of KBs, so I could go heavy, medium or light, just by moving my hand a few inches. I stuck the basic ideas: never miss...all quality. I came up the idea that I explained in Can You Go? from this:

I came up with an easy way to understand the number of repetitions, any motion or movement that’s repeated and counted, and how it relates to load—the amount being moved, the weight or resistance. Over the past sixty or so years, both experience and science has shown that between fifteen to twenty-five reps is about, around and close to the correct number of repetitions we need to do per exercise.

Here’s how I judge—

· If it takes one or two sets to do the fifteen to twenty-five reps, the load is light.

· If it takes three, four, five or perhaps six sets to do the fifteen to twenty-five reps, the load is just right.

· If it takes more than seven sets, the load is too heavy.

Whether your client is using a machine, a band, a kettlebell, a dumbbell or whatever, this will help you determine if the load is just right.

There are days you’ll want to go light, days you’ll want to go medium, and days you’ll want to challenge your clients with the heaviest load possible. Some experts argue that as few as a fifth of a person’s workouts need to be challenging—and, of course, there are those who tell you that if you don’t puke, you weren’t trying.

I err on the side of more easy and medium workouts, as I keep thinking that showing up for five years without missing a training day will trump the person who has a surgery or illness every other month.

So, on this 40 day attempt, I tried to find "heavy," for example. With the 36K, I can press that a bunch in ONE set. I can't do much the next. So, the reps to 25, for example in the Press might be:
11 (could do more, don't want to fail)
That's 25!

Most of you would be more like 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3

The idea was not not miss, not struggle and have mastery of technique.

With Swings, you count total reps. So, with the 24k:

First set gets you to 31. Second set gets you to 52...all the way to the goal...which is whatever you decided on before the workout. Some sets are ten reps, some are fifty.

I have believed for a long time now that reps and sets are great, but they don't reflect what is really going on with KBs and the O lifts. One "bad" rep can damage you in the KB, O lift and powerlifting world, so get out the notion of magic numbers. Strive for mastery on every single rep and let quality feedback tell you when to end the set.

One other thing I tried to mixing 250 swings with the easier days in the other movements. It didn't work. Plan on like two "fuller" workouts a week, one, maybe two, on the low end and one medium. I had a few easy days that went so fast that Tiff said: "Are you going to workout now?

Just did!

Huh....that's it?

The road to strength has "Huh...that's it?" days, too.

I was trying to find a KB only experiment I did from 2012/13. It was the 40 Days program with just KBs. Five Days a week of One Arm Press, Pull Ups, Swings, Goblet Squats and TGUs. I was rebuilding after a total hip replacement. I was also doing Tim Anderson's Pressing Reset (6 Point Rocks, Nods, Rolls, March in Place). I kept the Press and Goblet Squats in the 15-25 range, if memory serves but it seems right, Pull Ups at a total of ten (never miss!), Swings 75-250 per workout, and, at most, 5 + 5 in the TGU. (Or just a part of them on an easy day.

I have a good selection of KBs, so I could go heavy, medium or light, just by moving my hand a few inches. I stuck the basic ideas: never miss...all quality. I came up the idea that I explained in Can You Go? from this:

I came up with an easy way to understand the number of repetitions, any motion or movement that’s repeated and counted, and how it relates to load—the amount being moved, the weight or resistance. Over the past sixty or so years, both experience and science has shown that between fifteen to twenty-five reps is about, around and close to the correct number of repetitions we need to do per exercise.

Here’s how I judge—

· If it takes one or two sets to do the fifteen to twenty-five reps, the load is light.

· If it takes three, four, five or perhaps six sets to do the fifteen to twenty-five reps, the load is just right.

· If it takes more than seven sets, the load is too heavy.

Whether your client is using a machine, a band, a kettlebell, a dumbbell or whatever, this will help you determine if the load is just right.

There are days you’ll want to go light, days you’ll want to go medium, and days you’ll want to challenge your clients with the heaviest load possible. Some experts argue that as few as a fifth of a person’s workouts need to be challenging—and, of course, there are those who tell you that if you don’t puke, you weren’t trying.

I err on the side of more easy and medium workouts, as I keep thinking that showing up for five years without missing a training day will trump the person who has a surgery or illness every other month.

So, on this 40 day attempt, I tried to find "heavy," for example. With the 36K, I can press that a bunch in ONE set. I can't do much the next. So, the reps to 25, for example in the Press might be:
11 (could do more, don't want to fail)
That's 25!

Most of you would be more like 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3

The idea was not not miss, not struggle and have mastery of technique.

With Swings, you count total reps. So, with the 24k:

First set gets you to 31. Second set gets you to 52...all the way to the goal...which is whatever you decided on before the workout. Some sets are ten reps, some are fifty.

I have believed for a long time now that reps and sets are great, but they don't reflect what is really going on with KBs and the O lifts. One "bad" rep can damage you in the KB, O lift and powerlifting world, so get out the notion of magic numbers. Strive for mastery on every single rep and let quality feedback tell you when to end the set.

One other thing I tried to mixing 250 swings with the easier days in the other movements. It didn't work. Plan on like two "fuller" workouts a week, one, maybe two, on the low end and one medium. I had a few easy days that went so fast that Tiff said: "Are you going to workout now?

Just did!

Huh....that's it?

The road to strength has "Huh...that's it?" days, too.

Now for the six page thread interpreting and debating this post...

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. The hardest "lesson" is to always strive to feel better after you leave. I would suggest adding Hip Flexor stretches daily, too, maybe a T-Spine stretch, we do Windmill Sticks (Youtube: dj84123) and, oddly, this works.

Dan's 40 day KB program looks great. I've been doing Simple & Sinister and I've missed doing the presses and rows.
One question I'd have however, if you are doing swings 75-250, squats 15-25, get ups 10, presses 30-50, pull ups 15-25,
5 days a week, would this not be too much for a regular guy? Do you use the squats & get ups as part of your warm up with a light weight?

I said 15-25 and no more than ten in the Pull Ups. Your numbers are much larger, so I don't know.
My easy day was one set of everything, light. I still did 75 Swings as it was also rehab. If you read the original work, you can see that warm ups are up to you.

I said 15-25 and no more than ten in the Pull Ups. Your numbers are much larger, so I don't know.
My easy day was one set of everything, light. I still did 75 Swings as it was also rehab. If you read the original work, you can see that warm ups are up to you.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. My press numbers are so high because you suggested 1 arm presses so I doubled them to get a total for both arms.

Pressing L/R doesn't isn't that hard. Somewhere I have an article on Dragondoor about the One Arm Press. I love it...but I love it most because you can use more than you think one handed vis-a-vis two.
Don't work too hard on the discussion. Just do it and get a sense of things and adapt.

Pressing L/R doesn't isn't that hard. Somewhere I have an article on Dragondoor about the One Arm Press.

Hi Dan,
Thanks again for your response.
I know exactly the article you are talking about, it's one of my favourites. I have your 3 "Go" books and I also love the one dumbbell workout. I can't remember which book it was from. I'm gonna take your advice and see how I go on the 40 day KB workout.

One of you must be Harry Potter. Breaking Muscle posted this today. If your eyes are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good, you can see who they attribute the work to here...
The 40 Days of Movement Challenge

NOT COOL!

Some of the lines are direct copies from Easy Strength and Intervention. I spent several years doing academic research, that's is NOT how you reference other people work, just plain plagiarism...

One of you must be Harry Potter. Breaking Muscle posted this today. If your eyes are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, good, you can see who they attribute the work to here...
The 40 Days of Movement Challenge

That's pretty unbelievable. There are some comments at the bottom complaining, and a response from a moderator saying that the author made references that were mistakenly omitted.

To me this goes beyond references. To justify an article, the author needs to put his own twist on the program, and the article should be about the justification and application for tweaking it that way (giving full credit to the original sources, of course). Otherwise, it should just be a link to Dan's blog.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom