all posts post new thread

KB overhead squat progression - does it make sense?

jozko

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all, my shoulder have been achy for quite some time, so I started doing single kettlebell overhead squats regularly. It works like charm and I can see results in real time. However, doing it with 20kg does not improve my strength in any way.

So my question - does it make sense to work on higher weights (say, at least 32kg)? Is there anybody who achieved this weight with it?

If I want to do a heavy overhead squat, I use a barbell.

Unilateral overhead squats (i.e. KB, DB) can give a lot of benefit at lower weights -- you don't need a lot of load to hit all the unilateral stabilizers.
This is what I will likely do - KB overhead squats as a warm up/variety exercise paired with shoulder-friendly strength builder. Thanks!

@Symanoy , halos, getups and dead hangs are a staple in my routines. But this is the first time a see side plank as a recommendation for shoulder issues and it sounds interesting. Do you have an experience with side planks in the context of shoulder injury?
I will definitely try it.

@Symanoy , halos, getups and dead hangs are a staple in my routines. But this is the first time a see side plank as a recommendation for shoulder issues and it sounds interesting. Do you have an experience with side planks in the context of shoulder injury?
I will definitely try it.
I'm finding side planks really useful for scapular strength, stability and alignment. I've got some issues in this regard which they are really helping with. I’ve sprained both AC joints in the past as well as broken my collarbone some time ago. Also some chronic postural issues from playing guitar which have affected my shoulders.

Last edited:
Hi all, my shoulder have been achy for quite some time, so I started doing single kettlebell overhead squats regularly. It works like charm and I can see results in real time. However, doing it with 20kg does not improve my strength in any way.

So my question - does it make sense to work on higher weights (say, at least 32kg)? Is there anybody who achieved this weight with it?
Been a while , but I used to do them with a 32 as part of a complex.
P-SN-OHSQ-SQ_PP, switch hands, repeat. Five rounds.
You could go lighter and work on DBLOHS.

Another way to build capacity and hit similar areas. Time stamped.

Back
Top Bottom