all posts post new thread

KB Press

Str0ngN3rd

Level 3 Valued Member
So getting ready to start another round of RoP and reviewing the C&P.
Found this on youtube:
Interesting because it looks like he is not at al flaring the elbow/shoulder and going straight up.
If you look at some strongFirst specific videos it appears the elbow/shoulder is flaring out:
, .

To flair(within reason) or not to flair, that is the question? Does StrongFirst teach a slight flair and the other individual just does not? I guess they are both acceptable, whatever works best, thoughts?

So getting ready to start another round of RoP and reviewing the C&P.
Found this on youtube:
Interesting because it looks like he is not at al flaring the elbow/shoulder and going straight up.
If you look at some strongFirst specific videos it appears the elbow/shoulder is flaring out:
, .

To flair(within reason) or not to flair, that is the question? Does StrongFirst teach a slight flair and the other individual just does not? I guess they are both acceptable, whatever works best, thoughts?

Based on shoulder structure.

One generally preaches the Russian style of KB, and here in SF it is the hard one. I don't know about the press which is better, but I'm more comfortable with the version taught here. It comes to me spontaneously without any thought.
By the way, this guy is one of the most outspoken opponents of hard style.

I think the biggest benefit of the single kettlebell press is that you can adapt to your own physical structure. It's like what the rings are to a stationary pull up bar, there's some interpretation there.

Same thing with how @Rif found a barbell press that doesn't hurt and still allows him to reach PRs, without wrecking his body. He always clarifies, it's not a strict military press but it lets him put weight overhead at almost (I think ) 70 years old!

There's perfect form and then there's perfect form for you.

I'd argue that keeping the forearm completely vertical with a heavier kettlebell becomes impossible. With the 16 kg bell in the video it might be possible, but I would not dare to try it with a 40 kg bell. The heavy weight would be hanging in the air, when the forearm is vertical. When the elbow is directly below the body of the kettlebell (i.e. the elbow is "flared out"), the center of mass of the bell has a solid support.
Also note, that when the individual of the first video has the kettlebell in the rack position, the bell also hovers over his elbow...

I'd argue that keeping the forearm completely vertical with a heavier kettlebell becomes impossible. With the 16 kg bell in the video it might be possible, but I would not dare to try it with a 40 kg bell
I will say though, it may be something you can work towards, depending on your body weight.

I have discovered with my 32kg press, as I become stronger, it becomes possible for me to make the arm trajectory more vertical (Kind of).

I suspect, that for variation, or a little extra challenge, one can work towards having a slightly prouder chest with a slightly straighter path from the heels, to hips, to shoulders, to the wrist overhead.

I have been noticing that line (from the heel through the wrist) being able to get a little more straightened out over time as my overall top pressing stance strength increases. As I get stronger in that top stance I become more able to allow that weight to hang off the back of my more vertical arm.

otherwise, a very vertical heel-to-hip-to-shoulder stack can work perfectly well with an offset arm angle that deals with the relative gravitational forces; as a finish position.

It's been my experience that people with a lot of bench pressing experience will tend to press more straight up. Speaking as someone who never bench pressed until I'd done a lot of kettlebell pressing, I use the "open the door" groove.

It's worth mentioning that this distinction is _not_ part of the SFG press standard, and for good reason - either is acceptable.

@Brett Jones, please amplify or correct as necessary and thanks in advance for that.

-S-

I tend to use the nonflare technique with heavy pressing. Was taught at a SF seminar that the flare is a last ditch effort to get the weight up and if you start there then there is nothing left to go to wwhen it gets hard.

As @Steve Freides noted the pressing groove is individual and can be influenced by strucure and previously established patterns.

I have different pressing groove between my left and right arm due to a seat belt related SC joint injury from many years ago.
If I tried to force my left to press like my right I would cause myself problems.

Optimizing the grip is also important and reviewing this article: Optimizing the Kettlebell Military Press Grip—For You | StrongFirst is a good idea and I would not use the false grip shown in the video for the MP.

Ain’t nothing wrong with a 16kg bell y’all. Especially when instructing a press.
That’s true. But given the options of “press this way or press this way,” I’d go with the guy pressing 56kg, not the guy pressing 16kg. Like it says in Simple and Sinister, start with light weights and rapidly progress to medium weights, as light weights don’t provide the proper feedback for learning.

When I started kettlebells, before I found StrongFirst, I used to see guys on YouTube demonstrating this or that with 16kg bells that are completely worn out and chipped up. Now, looking back at those guys, they seem weak. Probably because they ARE weak.

But I know what you’re saying: using a light weight for instructional purposes can still get the idea across. As a certified instructor you’d certainly know a lot better than me!

That’s true. But given the options of “press this way or press this way,” I’d go with the guy pressing 56kg, not the guy pressing 16kg. Like it says in Simple and Sinister, start with light weights and rapidly progress to medium weights, as light weights don’t provide the proper feedback for learning.

When I started kettlebells, before I found StrongFirst, I used to see guys on YouTube demonstrating this or that with 16kg bells that are completely worn out and chipped up. Now, looking back at those guys, they seem weak. Probably because they ARE weak.

But I know what you’re saying: using a light weight for instructional purposes can still get the idea across. As a certified instructor you’d certainly know a lot better than me!
There is nothing wrong with how he presses. And he is not demonstrating how much he can press, like some of the other gentlemen videoed in this thread.

In my opinion/experience, the most important factor is stacking the wrist and elbow at the beginning of the press. What your body needs to do from there will vary based on your physiology and the weight in question. Beyond that I'd suggest not overthinking it.

There's a pretty good amount of chipped up StrongFirst/hardstyle instructors tbh. No, before anyone asks I don't have an encyclopedia of all instructors injuries, it's just a trend I've noticed throughout the years.

People tend to share their wins without sharing their aches/pains because ignorance is bliss and they like a certain character to be out out there.

I'm sure @BrianCF could chime in a bit, not that he agrees with my above statement just that he's been around this community for a while and just had surgery on his shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom