Kefir

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by Harald Motz, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Bauer

Bauer More than 500 posts

@zarn Sometime ago I wrote this:

iron&flint likes this.
  2. Harald Motz

Harald Motz Quadruple-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

this is the description I started again with kefir. Really easy.
    Then I ordered some organic kefir grains again and was happy enough, that a local farmer sells fresh raw organic milk via a coin machine, where I can get the milk anytime anyday directly filled into my bottles.

when I come home with the milk I sieve every bottle which fermented then 3-4 days in the brown bottles at room temperature. The grains from one kefir bottle go to the milk bottle the sieved kefir goes back to the bottle again. I do this with every bottle and put the kefir in the fridge and the milk vaccinated with the grains comes to the shelf to ferment for a cycle.

Sometimes I wash the grains under tap water and whe they get to much I either give them away or eat some.

Screenshot_2019-10-20-13-25-53.png
    Fermentation of the milk on the shelf.

- Kefir likes it dark (either brown bottles or covering with a sheet)
    - room temperature is just right
    - the bottles or jar should be closed but enable to leave pressure for developing CO2 gas
    - shorter fermentation the kefir is more mild
    - longer fermentation makes it sour with almost no lactose and more casein

To make kefir is really easy and since I have raw organic grass fed milk it never was that good. I Go Mad about kefir...

Tarzan and Bauer like this.
  3. Tarzan

Tarzan More than 500 posts

Hi Harald. It's good to see you posting again,

I revived my Kefir grains a few months ago, I'd left them sitting in the fridge in finished kefir for almost twelve months and they looked like a lost cause. The Kefir had pink and grey mold all over the top and it smelled really funky so I was going to throw the whole batch out but I thought I'd put them in some fresh milk and see if they were still viable.

They were a bit slow to get started again but now the grains are growing quicker than ever. I didn't drink the first few batches until the grains started to multiply and the fermentation rate got back to normal but now it's just as good as it ever was. I was a bit worried about drinking it again the first time so I started with a few small amounts over a few days with no problems and now I'm drinking about 300ml a day with no problems, so it seems like it's fine.

I read somewhere that whey protein is detrimental to gut bacteria and it always seemed to give me problems but I started mixing about 30% kefir in with it after it's been mixed with milk and the gut issues disappeared . I was always quite adverse to protein supplements before I started mixing it with kefir because of the gut issues but adding a bit of kefir seems to make it much easier on my digestive system,

I have too many grains now and I'm eating the excess almost every day.

Harald Motz likes this.
  4. Harald Motz

Harald Motz Quadruple-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

@Tarzan: kefir is really great, not a hint of a downside. It is grateful and I am grateful too to it. As I have 3-4 liter of it on a daily basis it provides a great base of fat and protein. It is years ago that I got some protein powder.

Had a training session and came out of the shower a few minutes ago. I opened my fridge took a bottle out shook it for a few seconds and now enjoying it (over and over) again. The brown bottles I have for 9 months now clean them and use recycle them over and over also.

Screenshot_2019-10-23-19-44-17.png
    A batch if my kombucha. Green tea fermentation at it's finest.

Bro Mo likes this.