all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Xene

Level 6 Valued Member
Kettlebell AXE is out now and I am sure many of us are now reading it.
I am still going through the theory part and I am enjoying it.

I love how Pavel finally describes the differences between all AGT (Strong Endurance) and how clear the book is so far. It's a very enjoyable read and I am almost a little bit excited doing it.

We can use this thread to discuss the protocol.
There is so much to discuss, discover and to learn from. Let's start!

So excited to get started! Going to plan the 'Preferred Way' combining with S&S Get Ups, because I love Get Ups.

Not quite sure though, if one does the Get Ups on the same day, or a different day. But let's start with a day after. And maybe do 'Regimen day #3' as S&S total.

KB Axe is out on kindle. Physical copies are sold out or unavailable.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CK3G2PSS

Finally, a comprehensive explanation of anti-glycolytic training all in one place.

The “A“ in “AXE” stands for “aerobic.”
The “X” refers to type IIX fast muscle fibers.
“E” is for “exercise.”

AXE will install aerobic power infrastructure in your fast fibers.

While simultaneously making these fibers bigger and more powerful—the ancient conflict
between strength and endurance finally resolved.

With AXE, you will sprint faster and hit harder—over and over—while producing less soul- and
performance-crushing lactic acid.

Last edited:
Another masterpiece by Pavel T.
I just read it briefly, i would say that The Quick and Dead is prerequisite for reading before this. Not because you wouldn’t understand the point but because it is highly complementary.
It explains basic science behind AXE (A+A)
I expected maybe some comparison between clasical AXE (OTM) and for example C&J KBSF program and Every 20 Sec swing protocol (newsletter 11.4.23)
Book is full of links to great SF articles.
There is another book coming of with name Metal Heart, should be focusing on intermediate type 2A fibers.
In this book is also quite nice explained glycotic training, how, when, dosage. This is my favorite part of this book. Can’t wait for my first double espresso.
Definitely great book, i would recommend it to everyone in SF community

Probably a dumb question but, is this the new book on A+A we’ve been hearing about? I’m slightly confused and really curious about A+A.

I suspect there are more than a few Strong First forum members who have written and published books. You know what a massive effort it is. To write clearly, concisely, and get your message across succinctly is the apex. Thanks, Pavel T, for all your hard work on AXE. I'm looking forward to mining the gold in its pages.

So the programs are swing only?

There is a comment: do not limit AXE to just training swings. And, the jerk is mentioned as an option. So, I bet there are other things that fit the paradigm (especially quick lifts). But, you gotta be proficient in the lift. Eg. if you can pass the SFG 1 snatch test, snatch is on the table.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, but it was so comprehensive it made my head spin. My problem with SF books are always that they're extremely minimalist and then i struggle to apply them to my goal lifts (sandbag shouldering, weighted lunges, weighted push-ups, weighted rows, swings). In the last year, the two best programs I've cobbled together to let me tackle S&C with Strongfirst programming are:

Total Package
Day 1 (strength - goal lifts minus swings, performed using Kenny's cluster method)
Day 2 (conditioning - S&S)
Day 3 (strength - goal lifts minus swings, performed using Kenny's contrast method)
Day 4 (conditioning - A+A C&J one week, glycolytic circuit the next)

and:

OLAD
Day 1 sandbag shouldering
Day 2 weighted push-ups
Day 3 swings
Day 4 weighted lunges
Day 5 weighted rows
Day 6 hanging

The OLAD work was very heavy singles, doubles and triples using long rest breaks (3-5 mins between sets), except for the swings which were EMOM for 30-60 minutes done using the stop signs (almost AXE already).

I can see myself doing AXE work in Total Package pretty easily (on conditioning days), but i wonder if AXE work could be applied to ALL the lifts (except hanging) in the OLAD program. I could see myself turning OLAD into training blocks: one month as heavy strength work, one month as AXE work, and then back again.

On the other hand, I could also see myself screwing everything up. The book makes it sound like the Soviets applied AXE to many lifts, but I'm in no position to tinker with things.

I don't know why I typed this all up. Clearing things up in my head, I guess.

Last edited:
Love Pavel’s books (especially ETK and RTK). That said, I’m not a fan of S&S (don’t hate me!).

I do like swings but I don’t love swing only/swing dominant protocols… is this book worth getting for someone like me who likes overhead work and pull work?

This book looks very interesting and I will probably end up purchasing it.
But I am not an avid kettlebell user. So I hope the principals in the book can be applied to barbell work. I am almost certain whatever is contained in the book can be used with many different tools. Just texting out loud to reassure myself I guess.

This book looks very interesting and I will probably end up purchasing it.
But I am not an avid kettlebell user. So I hope the principals in the book can be applied to barbell work. I am almost certain whatever is contained in the book can be used with many different tools. Just texting out loud to reassure myself I guess.
I have a sneaking suspicion. cut the sets and reps in half and see what happens with a slow lift....

Back
Top Bottom