all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Im on my second read of the book and like all of Pavels Books it gets even more profound every read through, Thanks!

Pavel,

1. When doing 2 days of swings or snatches and 2 days of jerks, Do you totally exclude grinding lifts in that scenario?

2. For Wrestling/mma: Do you think it would be to much to do mon+thur= Strength aerobis, something like the protocol from the study on mma fighters (strong endurance manual) where the athletes did 3 exercises, at around 70%, 3-5 reps for 10-15 sets with 1-2min rest and thuesday+friday do the AXE program from the book?

Thanks for answering all our questions, Looking forward to programming demystified!

Pavel, I’m glad that you are again sharing valuable knowledge with us in this crazy stream of meaningless information called fitness. Do you think the GTG Naked Warrior goes well with the Kettlebell Axe? For example, 2 days kettlebell axe (snatch or swing) and other days of the week Naked Warrior. I find GTG to be a very pleasant activity for the nervous system.

Pavel, I’m glad that you are again sharing valuable knowledge with us in this crazy stream of meaningless information called fitness. Do you think the GTG Naked Warrior goes well with the Kettlebell Axe? For example, 2 days kettlebell axe (snatch or swing) and other days of the week Naked Warrior. I find GTG to be a very pleasant activity for the nervous system.
Pretty sure GTG one arm push-ups are listed in the book as one pressing option.

Pavel, great book...thorough yet easy to digest and apply.

Would be curious your input on the pros/cons of sticking to one exercise during AXE sessions (i.e. just swings or snatches) v. incorporating 2-3 exercises in a circuit (i.e. swings, explosive push-ups, jump squats). This is for someone who doesn't have any sport/job specific requirements.

Also, for times when without kettlebell, I assume a strict burpee performed on the same time/rest parameters is an ok substitute?

Yes, GTG 1A Pushups are explicitly listed. You could also do some Pistols the day before your AXE sessions.

Im on my second read of the book and like all of Pavels Books it gets even more profound every read through, Thanks!
Thank you, Olof.
1. When doing 2 days of swings or snatches and 2 days of jerks, Do you totally exclude grinding lifts in that scenario?
Not at all. But you will have to use your judgment.

2. For Wrestling/mma: Do you think it would be to much to do mon+thur= Strength aerobis, something like the protocol from the study on mma fighters (strong endurance manual) where the athletes did 3 exercises, at around 70%, 3-5 reps for 10-15 sets with 1-2min rest and thuesday+friday do the AXE program from the book?
Olof, you would be better off with 2 days of one and 1 day of the other; rotate after 6 weeks.

Thank you, serjetto.

A perfect mix.

Pavel, great book...thorough yet easy to digest and apply.
Thank you, dcc449.
Would be curious your input on the pros/cons of sticking to one exercise during AXE sessions (i.e. just swings or snatches) v. incorporating 2-3 exercises in a circuit (i.e. swings, explosive push-ups, jump squats). This is for someone who doesn't have any sport/job specific requirements.
I have answered this question earlier in this thread.
Also, for times when without kettlebell, I assume a strict burpee performed on the same time/rest parameters is an ok substitute?
Yes—provided you can do it without hurting your back. Repeated spine flexion is no joke.

Pavel,
I have thoroughly enjoyed your S&S, Q&D, and now this new AXE book. I love the combination of reference to anecdote, research, coaches, and personal experience, and how they are all combined in a way to create a better rounded education on these topics. As somebody trained in molecular bio and working in healthcare in an MSK profession, I admire your ability to communicate these concepts so clearly on all of these levels. I always re-read these books multiple times.
As for AXE, I am in the midst of drafting up a training program to train for a 3 day mountain bike stage race. I intend to use a polarized 80/20 approach with a base and comp prep phase. I have some ideas of how to include AXE into the program using swings and perhaps the single leg split squat jumps.
But I am curious is you have any general pointers beyond the book that you wish to share on how to best use AXE in a program with a large volume of endurance training?

Thank you and please keep publishing !

Glen

What a great book, really interesting information. Thank you Pavel for the book. I'm wondering how one would apply this to S & C training for amateur boxing. Should one use heavy bag and kettlebell training for the program? If so, how many times a week each?

And If using kettlebells, would kettlebell jerks be better than swings for boxers or would swings complement heavy bag work better?

You mentioned that similar training was used for boxers so I'm just trying to make this clear: when AXE is used with heavy bag work, would it work just like the kettlebell versions, meaning using the same structure for number of sets, adhering to stop-signs etc.? And one should punch for 80% of max power for around 4-10 (similar to 2-4-6 reps) seconds straight, then the remaining time do some relaxed shadow boxing?

Thank you,

-Niko

Tried the snatch approach this week with the 24, and then the 32. So sticking with the 32 and solely focussing on Axe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003-111223~2.png
    Screenshot_20231003-111223~2.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231005-105659~2.png
    Screenshot_20231005-105659~2.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 59
What a great book, really interesting information. Thank you Pavel for the book. I'm wondering how one would apply this to S & C training for amateur boxing. Should one use heavy bag and kettlebell training for the program? If so, how many times a week each?

And If using kettlebells, would kettlebell jerks be better than swings for boxers or would swings complement heavy bag work better?

You mentioned that similar training was used for boxers so I'm just trying to make this clear: when AXE is used with heavy bag work, would it work just like the kettlebell versions, meaning using the same structure for number of sets, adhering to stop-signs etc.? And one should punch for 80% of max power for around 4-10 (similar to 2-4-6 reps) seconds straight, then the remaining time do some relaxed shadow boxing?

Thank you,

-Niko
Great post Niko and I look forward to hearing Pavels response on his. Something I have started doing since I attended Strong Endurance in July is build up my bag work time. I started at one 20 minute round and built up to an hour of bag work twice a week. I didn’t follow any time structure only that most of my shots were full power and I kept the pace and frequency of punches slower ie much more single shots, two shots and occasionally 3 shot combos and never more but always making sure that I can pass the talk test throughout. Doing it in an unstructured free flow manner allows me to drill the technique and fight combos and game plan as well as my conditioning all at the same time. Training like this has been a game changer for me and I have developed a huge work capacity. I believe Leon Spinks trained like this for Ali but he worked up to 2 hours on the bag and was able to effortlessly fight for 15 x 3 minute rounds. On top of this I have been doing long cycle clean jerk KBSF programme for 9 months to build my work capacity for grappling. The two axe sessions of KBSF and two long bagwork sessions a week along with EES seemed to very very well for me.
I have explained the long bag work thing to amateur boxers who were dismissive and pointed out that amateur fights are short so there is no need for prolonged bagwork. However I believe this is short sighted because by building your aerobic gas tank to such a level that you can absorb the S&C demands of a 15 round bout will have so many benefits and especially to someone who is fighting shorter bouts very regularly and needs to recover aerobically between them. You also kill a lot of birds with the same stone as you are training conditioning, power, roadwork and skill all at the same time. Close to a fight of course I would do a small amount of glycolytic peaking to mimick fight pace and conditions.

Pavel,
I have thoroughly enjoyed your S&S, Q&D, and now this new AXE book. I love the combination of reference to anecdote, research, coaches, and personal experience, and how they are all combined in a way to create a better rounded education on these topics. As somebody trained in molecular bio and working in healthcare in an MSK profession, I admire your ability to communicate these concepts so clearly on all of these levels. I always re-read these books multiple times.
Glen, thank you for your kind words! Would you please post your review on Amazon?

As for AXE, I am in the midst of drafting up a training program to train for a 3 day mountain bike stage race. I intend to use a polarized 80/20 approach with a base and comp prep phase. I have some ideas of how to include AXE into the program using swings and perhaps the single leg split squat jumps.
But I am curious is you have any general pointers beyond the book that you wish to share on how to best use AXE in a program with a large volume of endurance training?
Go for it. Do AXE when you are reasonably fresh, otherwise you have plenty of flexibility. It can be done at any time in the training cycle due to the low biological cost, all the way up to the race.

Q&D will help your event as well.

Back