all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell ICT

I finished week 6 last week, and so far my weight has stayed within +/- 1 pound (1/2 kg) of my starting weight, with no measurable change in body fat. This is despite dropping a few hundred kcals from my diet. :(

(This can partly be explained by the fact that, with the winter weather we have had here in Wisconsin over the last month, my average daily walking volume has dropped from about 11k steps/day down to 8k steps/day, so that probably balances out the drop in calories from my diet.).

I haven't done any other body measurements yet, but certainly no real noticeable changes. In general, I find it really difficult to shift my body weight up or down, and have stayed in a fairly narrow range for many years, despite shifting food intake up and down by us much as 600 or so kcals.

We'll see if 6 more week of this finally moves the needle...
Very interesting, and disappointing.

Keep at it.

About 3lbs. of bodyweight lost so far.
I took that measurement within an hour of the workout, before eating anything.

Weighed myself again this morning, again before eating anything, and it looks more like a 6lb. weight loss.

I use a scale that I bought at Ikea a decade ago - probably longer. It's got a wheel on the front side that is used for manually resetting the scale to 0. So... not the most accurate weight measurement device.

Started week 9. Option 1, Beginner

1 minute conditioning was as hard as I expected, but no harder. 35~36 swings.
Forearms felt on fire.

one caution: i basically tore off a callus from so many swings at once. Didn't notice til after Session 2 was complete. I'll need to tape it for sure for next A session on Thursday.

Last edited:
Week 5 day 2.
Oh dear. Push presses knocked me down today, the extra duration was really hard.
4 sets completed for both.
On the last set of push press I may have strained a chest muscle on my left. Time will tell.
This is the first session that I’ve felt really puffed out by the end. Sitting afterwards drinking coffee and reflecting, lots going on at home. Poor sleep, physical day yesterday, poor recovery, youngest has come down with Covid in the last few days, so who knows what my body is fighting right now.

Week 5 day 2.
Oh dear. Push presses knocked me down today, the extra duration was really hard.
4 sets completed for both.
On the last set of push press I may have strained a chest muscle on my left. Time will tell.
This is the first session that I’ve felt really puffed out by the end. Sitting afterwards drinking coffee and reflecting, lots going on at home. Poor sleep, physical day yesterday, poor recovery, youngest has come down with Covid in the last few days, so who knows what my body is fighting right now.
I've just finished week 5 and feel much the same. Jerks and snatches have been hard.
Where are resting mid set? At lockout or in the rack?
Lockout seems easier when paired with squats. I'm thinking micro marginally here.
The jerks and rows are a breeze in comparison.

I've just finished week 5 and feel much the same. Jerks and snatches have been hard.
Where are resting mid set? At lockout or in the rack?
Lockout seems easier when paired with squats. I'm thinking micro marginally here.
The jerks and rows are a breeze in comparison.
Resting briefly during push presses in rack position. I’ll try the lock out position next time. Interesting how little things can make a difference.
Agreed on the rows, I find them less taxing than squats.

Today was my first day of Week 5.

At first, the jump to 45 sec. made me wonder if I'd forgotten to start the timer. I actually put the KB down during one of the snatch sets to check the timer, only to have the timer go off. :D I got through the workout without further incident.

I needed the full 2 min. to rest between supersets. Toward the end I was thinking "Timer ringing already?!?! Rest time is too short!" :p I paused at lockout during the snatches to slow myself down and pace myself for the increased time for the set.

ICT Option 2 Advanced
Week 7 Day 3 A Day
A1. 20kg - 27 reps all
A2. 24kgx2
B1. 15kg - 21 reps all
B2. 28kgx2
5 series of A
4 series of B cut short slightly

I'm behind a bit... Looking to go everyother day to catch up....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-144739.png
    Screenshot_20240205-144739.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 1
Today was my first day of Week 5.

At first, the jump to 45 sec. made me wonder if I'd forgotten to start the timer. I actually put the KB down during one of the snatch sets to check the timer, only to have the timer go off. :D I got through the workout without further incident.

I needed the full 2 min. to rest between supersets. Toward the end I was thinking "Timer ringing already?!?! Rest time is too short!" :p I paused at lockout during the snatches to slow myself down and pace myself for the increased time for the set.
Also did the first workout for week 5. The 45 sec conditioning part really felt! I do intermediate with 1H swings and damn those 45 sec were brutal. Squeezed in around 26-27 swings. I definetly needed the full 2 minutes. Compared to last week I just needed to rest 1:15 and managed 6 sets. I only managed 4 sets today.

Feels like the programming is excellent and I look forward to when phase 2 feels as easy as phase 1. But then it's time for phase 3

Week 9, Day 2.
1 minute of PP was a real experience. I got to 16 on my stronger side, which is a pretty amazing number for me. 14 on other side which also is just shocking.
Also doing 36 2HSwings in a row on Sunday - I never would have thought of attempting that before starting this.

I felt good after this PP session - refreshed. The 2HSwings just drain me though.

ICT Option 2 Advanced
Week 8 Day 1 B
A1 & B1 12kgx2 23 reps all
A2 & B2 28kgx2
5 sets each

Working 7 days a week for the last month and until Easter... Forcing myself to really live clean over the rest of this program. To be able to handle everything in my life without crashing. The rpe is definitely lower than week 5 even though my HR does not reflect that.

Screenshot_20240207-143954.png

Week5 day 3.
A better session today.
Swings and presses 5 sets.
Swings and squats 4 sets.
I did not feel totally knackered by the end today. All good, apart from it appears my dear wife now has Covid. I’m doing my best to avoid getting it.

So no tear. I passed the all the strength tests with no pain. He said he thinks it's a labrum tear and I have impingement on both sides.
When it gets better, try only pressing singles. I have found that singles are much better than doubles from someone with a (previous) shoulder injury. Also, push presses are much more friendly to my shoulder. The only thing I ever got diagnosed with was “minor impingement”. Nothing on imaging. Yet, the day I injured it, I distinctly remember and knowing something was wrong. It happened in the first bit of a strict kb press. That part still bothers me past 25 lbs. yet I can push press a 32kg with a slow Eccentric no issue… anyways, try singles.

Started week 9. Option 1, Beginner

1 minute conditioning was as hard as I expected, but no harder. 35~36 swings.
Forearms felt on fire.

one caution: i basically tore off a callus from so many swings at once. Didn't notice til after Session 2 was complete. I'll need to tape it for sure for next A session on Thursday.
Completed week 9.
Much better feeling than the first day this week.

Swings were better- I basically learned how to save energy by hinging less and snapping up more crisply. Good life lesson there.

Recovery much quicker. Up and about 8 minutes after completion.

Taping callus helped immensely.

Have tough schedule next three weeks with some international travel. Hope I can complete as planned.

ICT Option 2 Advanced
Week 8 Day 2 A
A1. 20kg 27 reps all
A2. 24kgx2
B1. 15kg 21 reps all
B2. 28kgx2

Mind game today, my body wanted to quit on several occasions. Finished... New moon today, my training history shows me these have been my hardest sessions.

Screenshot_20240209-092212.png

Finished Week 6 yesterday! Half done with KB ICT!

I had a busy week. I was conducting a training at work. Yesterday I got up at 4:30 a.m. to get my session done. (WTF!)

The DFSQs continue to be my nemesis. (We were such good freinds!) For all 3 sessions, I only managed to get 4 sets of anything involving the DFSQs. However, on Wednesday, I managed 5 sets of DMP. Yesterday I got 5 sets of the RRs. So my conditioning is improving.

Next week I want to try, at least for one session, to get 5 sets of DFSQs.

I am running Option 2 with the advanced movements. I am using 20k bells for the conditioning. I am using 2x28s for the press & squats and 2x24s for the rows.

Bring on Week 7!

Week 5 Complete. These are the kettlebell weights I used:

Session A

A1 Snatch 12kg
A2 Press 16kg

B1 Snatch 12kg
B2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

Session B

A1 Push Press 16kg
A2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

B1 Push Press 16kg
B2 Supported Row 16kg

I expected the workouts to get harder with the increase in conditioning set time and strength set reps, and I was not disappointed. However, as long as I believed that I set the timer properly, I was able to get through the sets without feeling like I was running out of gas on every set. It was when I doubted that I had set the timer that I start to feel gassed.

Callouses from all this snatch practice are starting to peel. Time to use the pumice stone.

Bodyweight is about 157 lbs. compared to pre ICT starting weight of about 161 lbs.

Last edited:
Head bowed this morning... I'm an injury victim as well... Subscapularis and teres strain on the left shoulder, iliacus strain in the right pelvic bowl... Didn't warm up a bunch during the last 4 weeks due to time crunch and I'm paying the piper :( onwards and upwards fellas and felletes

Back
Top Bottom