all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Strong with Pull Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gorillainagi

Level 5 Valued Member
I have begun the Kettlebell Strong long plan with a pair of 24kg kettlebells. I am adding pull ups to it, doing as many pullups as double cleans and presses. I train with kettlebells every other day. I also train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu several times a week, and I row 5,000-10,000 meters a week.

Anyone have any experience with this addition to the Kettlebell Strong program or thoughts on it?

I have begun the Kettlebell Strong long plan with a pair of 24kg kettlebells. I am adding pull ups to it, doing as many pullups as double cleans and presses. I train with kettlebells every other day. I also train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu several times a week, and I row 5,000-10,000 meters a week.

Anyone have any experience with this addition to the Kettlebell Strong program or thoughts on it?
Not KB strong, but I ran S&S very successfully with weighted fighter pull-ups

Chris Lopez used to superset pull ups with the presses in KB STRONG, and he's the man Geoff chose to take over his online business when he retired. Also, Aleks Salkin personally recommended that option to me when I mentioned trying KB STRONG to him last year. I can't personally speak to whether that volume would be sustainable recovery wise with all the BJJ and rowing as well...

I'd probably use a fairly moderate pull-up program. How many can you do?

I say just listen to your body. If you can handle the pull ups and the pressing with your BJJ practice then do it. If it takes a toll on you then lower the volume/days on the pull ups or take them out for another program mix.

Pull Ups are a great compliment to the C&P. Just make sure to keep "the goal the goal" as Dan John says. I like to "practice" pull ups during my Strong sessions - never coming close to failure. Typically, I'll do one perfect Ring Pull Up rep in between my C&P sets.

I can complete the sets (10x3, 6x4, etc.). In one set I can probably pull off 10 or so strict pullups.

If that's the case you probably can do the pull-ups virtually in line with your KB Strong. Baker is right though keep the goal the goal.

Chris Lopez used to superset pull ups with the presses in KB STRONG, and he's the man Geoff chose to take over his online business when he retired. Also, Aleks Salkin personally recommended that option to me when I mentioned trying KB STRONG to him last year. I can't personally speak to whether that volume would be sustainable recovery wise with all the BJJ and rowing as well...
I actually did a 2:1 pull-up to C&P ratio when I did KBStrong and it worked well. I think, though, with all the rowing, you may want to stick with 1:1.

I actually did a 2:1 pull-up to C&P ratio when I did KBStrong and it worked well. I think, though, with all the rowing, you may want to stick with 1:1.

@fitandbusydad welcome to the forum Chris! Did you keep that ratio up through phase two (10x6/10x12)? You're a pull up machine! Btw, I bought your KB Alpha program and it looks great...looking forward to it!

I found that doing 5x5 after I completed the work for the day i.e. 10x1 or whatever the day called for added a nice finishing touch in Phase One. During phase 2 I tried to be consistent with pull ups but honestly, the double 36s beat me up and sometimes after a 10x4 or 5 I was too spent!

Chris' idea of supersetting them I think would be a winner!

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but has anybody paired STRONG program using C&P with a DL or FSQ barbell easy strength style program? Or even possibly using the same rep scheme side by side as the C&P

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom