all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell StrongFirst question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
So I’m coming in hot off of a cycle Of ROP and am really looking forward to running this program for the rest of the year (mostly). I plan on running the swing and get up protocol for a couple of cycle’s as i base build and transition to a more marathon focused training, at which point i plan to transition to the CnJ portion (2 days opposed to 3).
Enough about me though…My question right now is in regards to the get up portion of the heavy days. We are to do partial get ups to the elbow or hand, but are told we can do multiple reps (1-3). Does that include fully returning the bell to the floor and pressing it back up, or are we simply holding it for time under tension? @Pavel Macek comes to mind with this approach in his sinister training, and @Mike Torres seems to be the resident expert on this program, so any input is appreciated.
Happy training!

It’s not specified; experiment a bit. I had always done TUT getup protocols without the press, but I do occasionally add some additional floor presses into the heavy days - so long as it doesn’t shortchange my energy to log some time. I don’t personally do them with each rep since the total number of partial getups (and therefore presses) one ends up doing with a heavy bell over 20, 40, or 60 minutes can be significant.

It’s not specified; experiment a bit. I had always done TUT getup protocols without the press, but I do occasionally add some additional floor presses into the heavy days - so long as it doesn’t shortchange my energy to log some time. I don’t personally do them with each rep since the total number of partial getups (and therefore presses) one ends up doing with a heavy bell over 20, 40, or 60 minutes can be significant.
Thank you Mike! That was my feeling towards it as well, but it was nagging at me. I’m really looking forward to your article(s)!

First, my plan is to keep my Heavy TGU to within 8kg of my Swing weight. I appear to be one of those people whose TGU improve faster than their Swings.

The plan in my head was complete 3 reps for all sets in time frame "to elbow". Then reduce the reps and build back until I get "to hand". Finally repeat once more but with a press on every rep.

My current heavy day is 3r, 2r*4s each side with a 32kg in 15 minutes and a full press on all reps. This is my third week. The presses took it to some other level of energy requirement... Week 1 was 32kg 3r*7s in 15min to elbow "easy". Week 2 same numbers up to hand, again "easy". I'm still doing both Swings and TGU on the same day (until I hit Intermediate numbers soon)

Last edited:
First, my plan is to keep my Heavy TGU to within 8kg of my Swing weight. I appear to be one of those people whose TGU improve faster than their Swings.

The plan in my head was complete 3 reps for all sets in time frame "to elbow". Then reduce the reps and build back until I get "to hand". Finally repeat once more but with a press on every rep.

My current heavy day is 3r, 2r*4s each side with a 32kg in 15 minutes and a full press on all reps. This is my third week. The presses took it to some other level of energy requirement... Week 1 was 32kg 3r*7s in 15min to elbow "easy". Week 2 same numbers up to hand, again "easy". I'm still doing both Swings and TGU on the same day (until I hit Intermediate numbers soon)
Nice, sounds like a good plan. My tgu usually goes up faster too. I suspect my 32 may soon become my medium bell and 40k my heavy. Not sure about swings yet though. When you say 4s is that how long it takes you to do one rep?

Nice, sounds like a good plan. My tgu usually goes up faster too. I suspect my 32 may soon become my medium bell and 40k my heavy. Not sure about swings yet though. When you say 4s is that how long it takes you to do one rep?
It's how I document my session... r=reps, s=sets... so one set of 3 reps per arm, followed by 4 sets of 2 reps per arm. It's based on how we would document S&S progressions.

I don't measure the time, it takes whatever it takes to do it smooth and controlled. I only know the reps of a set while I do the set (each rep in a set is a practice). I only know the sets once the buzzer says I'm done (every set is a practice). And I only start a set if I pass the talk test.

So I’m coming in hot off of a cycle Of ROP and am really looking forward to running this program for the rest of the year (mostly). I plan on running the swing and get up protocol for a couple of cycle’s as i base build and transition to a more marathon focused training, at which point i plan to transition to the CnJ portion (2 days opposed to 3).
Enough about me though…My question right now is in regards to the get up portion of the heavy days. We are to do partial get ups to the elbow or hand, but are told we can do multiple reps (1-3). Does that include fully returning the bell to the floor and pressing it back up, or are we simply holding it for time under tension? @Pavel Macek comes to mind with this approach in his sinister training, and @Mike Torres seems to be the resident expert on this program, so any input is appreciated.
Happy training!
Either, or.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom