all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Training and Aerobic Capacity: My Case

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have to admit - I haven't the free time to endure the dishonor or aerobics lately - but I look to A+A as the main training modality. insofar as the physical distance is at issue while I have to tend to young kids -

would I be correct to assume a rowing machine is more or less - just as useful as running for increasing aerobic capacity?

I ask because I've never read about drawing a distinction between bike riding and running before, and it comes as a surprise.

I have to admit - I haven't the free time to endure the dishonor or aerobics lately - but I look to A+A as the main training modality. insofar as the physical distance is at issue while I have to tend to young kids -

would I be correct to assume a rowing machine is more or less - just as useful as running for increasing aerobic capacity?

I ask because I've never read about drawing a distinction between bike riding and running before, and it comes as a surprise.
Yes and no. It is good if you can’t put road work in, but aerobic base building is best when it involves locomotion. I have a C2 (and I love it) ,but I try to put in a lot of early morning walking, rucking or jogging. That means getting out of bed between 4:30-5 AM. :rolleyes: Dog loves it.

Pavel's "dishonor of aerobics" refers to Jane Fonda style aerobics
i appreciate the clarification.
i mean no disrespect. i just found the phrase humorous.
fwiw - i've been dealing with aerobic capacity since i joined up about 20 years ago, and am substantively jealous of a shorter 2mile runtime as a result of the culture.

so - I would take from this that I'm better off doing laps in the yard than sitting on the rower in the garage; by a certain margin.
Fortunately or unfortunately yes. If you use the rower, make sure to engage you glutes otherwise your rear end will go to sleep.

For good aerobic base building, you’ll want to try to hit 45-60 min if possible, but keep the HR down and nasal breathe. It actually will help with your recovery from strength training as well.

In case you misunderstood something Pavel's "dishonor of aerobics" refers to Jane Fonda style aerobics and NOT aerobic endurance training.
Here's a different kind of "dishonor"... Running slow enough to stay under 125 HR on a long gentle incline and having two 70 year-old ladies powerwalk past you while trying to suppress their giggles.

Happened to me this morning.

Here's a different kind of "dishonor"... Running slow enough to stay under 125 HR on a long gentle incline and having two 70 year-old ladies powerwalk past you while trying to suppress their giggles.

Happened to me this morning.
You could try wearing a balaclava.

I have a rower and unless I’m doing a 2k sprint my heart rate stays in the low end of zone 2. Rowing also will not translate into running because running is so specific and since you are in a standing motion your heart rate increases more. However @Adachi you're not wrong about jogging in the backyard. I have a treadmill as well but love doing beep test/shuttle runs, sprints, soccer juggling with freestyle runs etc. in the backyard, nothing beats getting the heart rate up in the sun. But for cardio health and zone 2 type benefits featuring mitochondria Running is the standard IMO.

I have a rower and unless I’m doing a 2k sprint my heart rate stays in the low end of zone 2. Rowing also will not translate into running because running is so specific and since you are in a standing motion your heart rate increases more. However @Adachi you're not wrong about jogging in the backyard. I have a treadmill as well but love doing beep test/shuttle runs, sprints, soccer juggling with freestyle runs etc. in the backyard, nothing beats getting the heart rate up in the sun. But for cardio health and zone 2 type benefits featuring mitochondria Running is the standard IMO.
Yeah turns out your body was made to do it too. Outside is certainly best and away from a treadmill, which robs you of muscle engagement to propel yourself forward through space.

Thanks for the input. I'm especially curious about info ahead of time due to scant time availability. I have a bum ankle which has made including aerobic work difficult in general. The injury withstanding, there are many times almost daily when I'm the only caretaker for the kids. Which presents other logistics issues. So I guess I'm interested in understanding the differences in the value propositions. Because my windows of opportunities are usually narrow and insufficient. And those which can be foreseen are very easily booked way in advance . So I'm very eager for any info that can help me plan for the most potent tradeoffs I can make.

And, I'm very interested in moving toward A+A programming.

But rowing is way closer to a full body movement than running and requires a lot more discipline to keep it steady state in my experience.
However running definitely gets you good at running though.

Thanks for the input. I'm especially curious about info ahead of time due to scant time availability. I have a bum ankle which has made including aerobic work difficult in general. The injury withstanding, there are many times almost daily when I'm the only caretaker for the kids. Which presents other logistics issues. So I guess I'm interested in understanding the differences in the value propositions. Because my windows of opportunities are usually narrow and insufficient. And those which can be foreseen are very easily booked way in advance . So I'm very eager for any info that can help me plan for the most potent tradeoffs I can make.

And, I'm very interested in moving toward A+A programming.
How about strength aerobics?
I wouldn't want to be swinging or snatching anywhere near the littl'uns.

But rowing is way closer to a full body movement than running and requires a lot more discipline to keep it steady state in my experience.
However running definitely gets you good at running though.
Good point. The C2 and module I can see what my split and s/p and easily regulate the intensity and density of the strokes.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to get on the rower, get my HR around 120 bpm and go for and easy 5-10k (course I usually pop in some ear buds and watch my iPad - is that cheating? :) ), but your body is meant for reciprocal locomotion in an upright posture.

The main thing about running is building up to it slowly and using proper, efficient technique to make the primary moves your shock absorbers, rather than your joints. If performed and dosed correctly, you will do well increasing bone density too. Personally, I’m just scratching the surface on this. Not an expert (yet!).

Currently I’m a brisk daily walk and days with no kettlebells, I usually ruck. I’ve been throwing in more jogging though.

Are you sure?

I think I remember plenty of the old kettlebell training talk speak fondly of the swinging and snatching taking care of all the conditioning one needs and often being superior compared to other modalities.

This is true… except when they don’t…:)
True. Probably from a market segment perspective, you have set yourself apart.

Kettlebell work can certainly build a certain type of work capacity or strength endurance, but it cannot replicate consistent aerobic base building. Incorporating aerobic development in the form of walking, rucking, running and rowing has been a game changer for overall health and base building for me.

True. Probably from a market segment perspective, you have set yourself apart.

Kettlebell work can certainly build a certain type of work capacity or strength endurance, but it cannot replicate consistent aerobic base building. Incorporating aerobic development in the form of walking, rucking, running and rowing has been a game changer for overall health and base building for me.

I don't mean to derail the thread but...

Game changer for health measured how?

Base building as in base for what?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom