all posts post new thread

Learning Strong Endurance with limited to no resources

tijuana_black

Level 1 Valued Member
I am very interested and intrigued by what is known as the Strong Endurance protocol, but I have a problem.

I don't live near any of the locations where the seminars are held (and there doesn't seem to be any on the schedule) and I don't live near any trainers that would be able to give me incite/training.

Is there an alternative option? .... Maybe a book I could purchase?

Hello,

Hope you'll find what you look for with the below readings:

Kind regards,

Pet'

@tijuana_black

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't live near any of the locations where the seminars are held
The Strong Endurance Seminar has been offered with an online component, at least once per year, that I've seen, recently. I had to wait many months between when I became interested, and when the calendar showed a Strong Endurance Seminar with an Online component. The schedule will be updated, but maybe not as soon as we'd like.

I don't live near any trainers that would be able to give me incite/training.
Many trainers are willing to work with clients online. They would be able to offer some critique and improvements on your form and execution, via video, and provide you with a program to meet your needs.

Also, please feel free to offer a post, here on the forum, with your current vitals (Height, weight, Max weights for your lift, max reps, etc.), current ability levels/training history/injury history, and a goal that you'd like to achieve. And, I'd bet that someone might be able to connect with you. At the very least you might encounter some free advice - which may or may not be worth more than the cost.

Is there an alternative option?
Again, after waiting for the better part of a year, I was able to afford myself online attendance of the strong endurance seminar as an online participant. and, I must say, the staff answering questions in the chat were quite excellent at answering quickly, and if not raising the question in the room on our behalf.

Maybe a book I could purchase?
I have poured over the Strong Endurance Manual. (I am possibly the last class to receive a paper copy, as an online attendee, as it were) And, as an Average Joe who's just trying to get in shape in the healthiest way that I can, I have found that The Quick and the Dead (Q&D) offers the creme de la creme of Strong Endurance programming to the masses. I have sampled timing and set and rep schemes from each of the templates plans and protocols from Strong Endurance. And, while there are amazing additional things that provide new and interesting venues of challenge and improvement, the overall bang for the buck lies in the distillation of the Strong Endurance Manual that is: The Quick and the Dead.

MY TWO CENTS
I can confidently say that, in my view, all the relevant bits for General Physical Preparation are included in Q&D, after having read the Strong Endurance manual cover to cover about 5 times. I have referenced it countless times, during training and while composing training schedules for a cycle; some were more successful than others. And, I have found out through several cycles and many months that Q&D Plans 033, 044, 015 are what I would refer to as the biggest bang for the buck.

If you have more specific concerns for a sport, competition, or a specific goal of performance you'd like to achieve, sooner than you'd be able to attend a seminar, I would advise you to spend some time with a trainer, if for nothing else to commission some programming. But, if you're just looking to get in shape, at a lower biological cost, Q&D pays in spades.

Hypothetically: If you read (and re-read) Q&D, you run those plans for a while (until you get to attend a Strong Endurance seminar) I think you'll come away with the same impression that I came away with. Strong Endurance is great, and Q&D comprises the best parts of Strong Endurance; summarized, for your convenience.

Last edited:
I am very interested and intrigued by what is known as the Strong Endurance protocol
Strong Endurance isn't really a specific protocol. It's a training method focused on the ability to repeatedly produce force over a sustained period of time. It also tends to have a lot of carry over into many different attributes, such as hypertrophy, strength, and more generalized endurance. Even if it's arguably not the best way to develop any one of these qualities, it tends to have a lot of different positive effects, and can be organized in very sustainable ways with reasonable recovery demands.

This mainly involves interval-type training, especially emphasizing relatively short intervals of work and long enough recovery to maintain force output over a session. But within that, there are lots of ways to cook the exact parameters (exercises, load, length of work, length of rest, patterns of work and rest, varying parameters over time, methods of progression, etc.)

A LOT of this is available in posts on this forum, articles on this site and elsewhere on the internet, and published materials such as the Q&D book and the Kettlebells StrongFirst program. Here's a great article by Al Ciampa about what I think of as "classic" A+A training (as opposed to the version in the Kettlebells StrongFirst program):

Al Ciampa A+A Training

Anytime you see a reference to A+A (Alactic + Aerobic) or AGT (Anti-Glycolytic Training), it's something that falls within the realm of Strong Endurance.

Is there an alternative option? .... Maybe a book I could purchase?
I'd love to see compendiums of Strong Endurance and Plan Strong programs for various purposes, with some implementation guidance in book form. I wouldn't expect this in free articles, and I'd be happy to purchase them in book form.

I am not at all a fan of the seminar format because of:
--Cost
--Limited scheduling availability
--IMO, the seminar format is a very inefficient and tedious way of learning. I MUCH prefer text for information and explanation. I find it very tedious to listen to a talking head explanation on video, and it makes it much harder to quickly find and review specific information I'm looking for. And, as far as I can tell, the Strong Endurance and Plan Strong seminars are not available as recordings for reference anyway. Video can be indispensable for demonstration. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, and sometimes a video is worth a thousand pictures, but only when it's something visual and dynamic like technique demonstration. For programming information, I don't want to sit and listen to a talking head.
--Not interested in a lot of the theory, biochemistry, etc. Pavel frequently quotes Taleb's assertion in Antifragile:
We are built to be dupes for theories. But theories come and go; experience stays. Explanations change all the time, and have changed all the time in history (because of causal opacity, the invisibility of causes) with people involved in the incremental development of ideas thinking they always had a definitive theory; experience remains constant.
A little theory, presented as a working hypothesis for why this makes sense, is okay. But ultimately, "This way works really well for this purpose under these circumstances" is a compelling enough explanation, without tying it to a theoretical explanation that may or may not turn out to be valid, and which makes no practical difference in implementation.

So anyway, put it in a book and take my money.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with @Adachi with his take on Strong Endurance via Q&D. Having done the All Terrain Conditioning course, which is advertised as Strong Endurance without all of the science lectures, I would agree that Q&D has it covered. When I attended ATC we learned and performed the programs that would later become Q&D. I would strongly recommend picking up a copy, read it through a few times and search the forums, you will likely find what you need.

@tijuana_black

Welcome to the Forum!

The Strong Endurance Seminar has been offered with an online component, at least once per year, that I've seen, recently. I had to wait many months between when I became interested, and when the calendar showed a Strong Endurance Seminar with an Online component. The schedule will be updated, but maybe not as soon as we'd like.

Many trainers are willing to work with clients online. They would be able to offer some critique and improvements on your form and execution, via video, and provide you with a program to meet your needs.

Also, please feel free to offer a post, here on the forum, with your current vitals (Height, weight, Max weights for your lift, max reps, etc.), current ability levels/training history/injury history, and a goal that you'd like to achieve. And, I'd bet that someone might be able to connect with you. At the very least you might encounter some free advice - which may or may not be worth more than the cost.

Again, after waiting for the better part of a year, I was able to afford myself online attendance of the strong endurance seminar as an online participant. and, I must say, the staff answering questions in the chat were quite excellent at answering quickly, and if not raising the question in the room on our behalf.

I have poured over the Strong Endurance Manual. (I am possibly the last class to receive a paper copy, as an online attendee, as it were) And, as an Average Joe who's just trying to get in shape in the healthiest way that I can, I have found that The Quick and the Dead (Q&D) offers the creme de la creme of Strong Endurance programming to the masses. I have sampled timing and set and rep schemes from each of the templates plans and protocols from Strong Endurance. And, while there are amazing additional things that provide new and interesting venues of challenge and improvement, the overall bang for the buck lies in the distillation of the Strong Endurance Manual that is: The Quick and the Dead.

MY TWO CENTS
I can confidently say that, in my view, all the relevant bits for General Physical Preparation are included in Q&D, after having read the Strong Endurance manual cover to cover about 5 times. I have referenced it countless times, during training and while composing training schedules for a cycle; some were more successful than others. And, I have found out through several cycles and many months that Q&D Plans 033, 044, 015 are what I would refer to as the biggest bang for the buck.

If you have more specific concerns for a sport, competition, or a specific goal of performance you'd like to achieve, sooner than you'd be able to attend a seminar, I would advise you to spend some time with a trainer, if for nothing else to commission some programming. But, if you're just looking to get in shape, at a lower biological cost, Q&D pays in spades.

Hypothetically: If you read (and re-read) Q&D, you run those plans for a while (until you get to attend a Strong Endurance seminar) I think you'll come away with the same impression that I came away with. Strong Endurance is great, and Q&D comprises the best parts of Strong Endurance; summarized, for your convenience.
Hi;

Just wondering, there is no strong endurance manual or online course? Any way to take the online course as I’m very interested. As well as possibly studying the manual? Any help here please

Best,
Matt

Hi;

Just wondering, there is no strong endurance manual or online course? Any way to take the online course as I’m very interested. As well as possibly studying the manual? Any help here please

Best,
Matt
The manual was provided to me after the seminar was broadcast to an in person audience, and an online audience .

The course will be scheduled at some point , I'm sure

I'd be happy to do my best to tide you over (by doing my own level best to answer any questions you have) till the next calendaring of Strong Endurance Seminars, as best I can.

I will take this opportunity to say more explicitly : the book:"The Quick & The Dead" by Pavel, really is a cliff notes version of the seminar. It is a much larger value for money than some might think.

Amazon product ASIN 0989892425

The last SE seminar, as I recall, was in February. I did not attend it because by the time I knew it the price was too expensive. I hope the next one would take place soon.

Last edited:
From what I read about it is most Strong Endurance protocols are built around performing 6-12 seconds of work followed by 1 to 3 minutes of rest I believe. Al Ciampa had a pretty thorough breakdown on his website. I'm very interested in that seminar as well. I'd be interested in knowing how to program the double kb snatch around these principles.

Return of the kettlebell has a good protocol in it for programming the lccj with performing ladders to achieve various rep ranges.

I could be wrong but I think Pavel's article on the best overall training method is based on this seminar's teaching where you basically start with one cl and j every 30 seconds for a specified time.

Last edited:
If attending a seminar or finding a nearby trainer is not possible, there's no need to worry. You can still explore the Strong Endurance protocol by referring to Pavel Tsatsouline's book "The Quick and the Dead". This comprehensive guide breaks down the protocol and offers detailed step-by-step instructions.

Back
Top Bottom