all posts post new thread

Less is More

Wake up 6:00
Total Time: 33 min
Training Start: 7:00 AM

One Hand Swings:
1:00 rest
24k 10x10
Nothing really to report here; these feel absolutely perfect.

3:00 rest between

TGU:
1:30 rest
The extra two minutes between 1HS and TGU helped quite a bit, tho I was still reduced to a pool of sweat afterwards.

Wake up 5:15
Total Time: 36 min
Training Start: 6:30 AM

One Hand Swings:
24k 10x10
The middle finger callous on my left hand is giving me troubles. I discovered if I grip the bell tighter with my pinkie and ring fingers then it helped out some.

I took a full 5 minutes between movements today; the swings gassed me.

TGU:
These felt better today; in the initial getup, I focused on driving with the working glute and it eliminated most of the dreaded 'leg pop.' Forearms are beginning to adapt to keeping the wrist straight; they were still very pumped up but I was managing the bell much better today.

Puppy Monkey Baby

Wake up at 6:30 am
Total Time: 36 min
Training Start: 1:55 PM

One Hand Swings:
24k 10x10
Ok, the callous on the left middle finger palm is roadblocking me now. It was pinching so bad it made it hard to concentrate on my form. So i razored the pinched up skin off. Switching to two hand swings for a few days to let it heal up. I only razored off the callous, but I threw some neosporin on it anyways to hopefully heal it up faster.

3 minute rest between.

TGU:

Wake up at 8:00 am
- slept 11 straight hours!
Total Time: 59 min
Training Start: 8:50 AM
Hour 13 of fast. Training at hour 11 fast is the normal, but the extra sleep put me over. Training on a fast feels great; yesterday I trained after breakfast and it wasn't as good. Wasn't as focused, not as much energy.

Two Hand Swings:
2:00 rest
24k 10x10
Since the one hand swings are out of the question while my callous heals, I focused on making these as violent and as explosive as possible while adhering to the 80% rule.

5 minute rest between

TGU:
5:00 rest
I had no problem keeping the wrist straight using the 24k all 5 sets, so I think the issue I had in previous sessions was just fatigue. Fatigue from compressed rest periods, fatigue from the one hand swings wearing on my grip.

Great session overall.

Wake up at 6:00 am
Total Time: 29 min
Training Start: 7:15 AM

Right knee was feeling weird, so I did an off day.

Two Hand Swings
:
16k 10x10
- Did these very fast

1 minute rest between

TGU:
- All done in under 8 minutes

Wake up at 5:30 am
Training Start: 6:30 AM

Two Hand Swings
:
24k 10x10
  • Focusing on staying tall - from the initial hike all the way to the float makes these flow beautifully.

5 minute rest between

TGU:
5:00 rest
  • Wow, this is the best my TGU's have ever felt.
  • A little trick to keeping the wrist straight is to 'regrip' the bell extra hard before each new phase.
  • Before the roll-to-sit, before the sweep, etc. I grip the bell extra hard.
  • Focusing on driving hard with the glute in the roll-to-sit helps keep the leg pop to a minimum and makes the lift flow

Two Hand Swings
:
24k 10x10

5 minute rest between

TGU:
3:00-5:00 rest

Did not train yesterday

Two Hand Swings
:
1:15 rest
24k 10x10
Focused on staying tall and getting back into my hips at the bottom of the swing.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 10 minutes
Left wrist was hurting a little during the sweep. I moved my left hand out just a tad, and it alleviated 95% of the pain. I've started playing my bass again after a long break, so I think it's just my fretting hand being sore from practice. I will do some hot/cold therapy on it this evening. That always works wonders.

Total training time 25 minutes

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10
Focused on staying tall and getting back into my hips at the bottom of the swing.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 9 minutes
Just focusing on keeping good form while riding the sweat train

I must finally be getting some of that "conditioning" as this session felt pretty great.

Hour 17 of 24 hour fast

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10
Focused on staying tall and getting back into my hips at the bottom of the swing and breathing through my nose despite the effort.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 10 minutes

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10
My form is feeling pretty good here. I noticed I'm doing better with breathing through my nose. Not sure why this is a challenge...

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 9 minutes
Still feeling out where to place the wrists for the sweep transition to post, but it's feeling a lot better.

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10
Nothing to really report here. The initial hike feels perfect now. Focusing on 'sitting tall' back into the hips at the bottom and the glute cramp at the top.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 8:30
Today I learned that if, before I place the non-weight-holding hand down, I open my hand hard as far as I can, then grip the floor as hard as I can it eliminates the wrist stress. I do not necessarily think it's the tension that does it, but likely the tension lines up the angle of my hand correctly.

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10
I can really feel when I load up the hips correctly in the bottom. The bell just seems to effortlessly popup to lockout.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 10:00
Really feeling stable with the 24k. A focus on keeping myself pushed away from the bell helps the movement flow better overall.

Wake up at 6:00 am

Two Hand Swings
:
Did a set every minute
24k 10x10

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 09:00

Today was a victory over the self. I just did not feel like training today (odd for me).

I really like your practice commentary... You learn something every session.

11 hours of sleep last night!

Two Hand Swings
:
Realized I'm actually doing a set every 45 seconds.
Timer setup for 45 seconds rest/15 seconds work
24k 10x10

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Was easily able to add another set with the 24k!

A couple learnings.
Re-read simple & sinister. These past few sessions, I've worked on a few added things.
1. Controlled breathing.
- Between swings, I take 5 controlled breaths then free breathe during the last remaining seconds.
- Getups, stand up and take 10 controlled breaths then get back to work.
This has helped a lot.
2. "When you train, you should train as if on the battlefield"
- Swings: Crisp lockout, like a strike. Loading the hips in the bottom as if loading the body for a strike.
- Getups: Pushing my opponent (the kb) strongly away from me (keeping elbow locked out, lats tight)
- Do not let your opponent see you work hard (effortless controlled breathing)
- Hardened body (braced abs)
- Make your eyes glare ( dominate the kb )

Wake up at 7:00 am
Total training time < 25 minutes
Another big sleep last night, 10 hours.

Two Hand Swings
:
Cut back time; 42 rest/15 work
24k 10x10
More and more I'm coming to view the bottom hike position as the 'load' position - loading up the hips to strike to lockout.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 08:00
Just focused on taking less rest today and being very controlled with breathing

I was seriously demotivated this morning. I even thought about not training. So I punished/rewarded such thoughts by reducing rest periods.

Ate a midnight snack last night without thinking. So today I trained at 11am instead of the usual 6:45 so I still get the 11 hour fast boost.

Two Hand Swings
:
42 rest/15 work
24k 10x10
I'm going to focus on keeping this feeling good while dropping the rest periods down over time. Right now I'm at 9:30 total. The weight isn't the challenge here, it's the controlled breathing.

1 minute rest between

TGU:
Finished under 07:00
The controlled breathing helps me on the swings, but it doubly helps with the TGU. Today I was strong on all my sets and still kept it under 7:00 minutes.

Short Term Objectives (S&S 75%):
With 24k bell, perform 10x10 two hand swings at or under 5 minutes
After 1 minute rest, with 24k bell, perform 5x1 TGU at or under 10 minutes.
Then begin to mix in the one hand swings.
This way I become a master technician while getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of the 24k bell.

Usual hot shower/tea/reading before training
Ate a midnight snack again without even thinking about it. Appetite is off the charts the past few days.

Two Hand Swings
:
40 rest/15 work
24k 10x10

1 minute rest between

TGU:

Today I focused on the pleasure of getting in an intense training session while other folks are still in bed.

Back
Top Bottom