all posts post new thread

Less is More

Don't overthink the snatch, just make that bell go up.
The down stroke is giving me grief, not the up stroke.
The upstroke feels surprisingly smooth, especially after the t-rex high pulls - they are a good teacher.

I haven't discovered how to control the drop - it lands in my palm uncontrollably hard and yanks the skin apart. From the progress I've made on the t-rex high pulls, it's likely a combo of keeping the lats tight, plus dropping the bell correctly to the working hand side. I've discovered recently on the OHS I don't always back swing towards the working-hand side of the groin; controlling that aspect of the down stroke will help a lot.

You'll get there.

Up 8:00, train 11:00
Loud concert in the park near my house, impossible to fall asleep. Woke late, trained late.
Warmup: D.D., SaS
SFG Prep, day 3.3

OHS:
10s x 10r
interval: 1:15
Focus:
Breathing, taming the arc, back swinging toward the working hand side of the groin.

TGU:
5s x 1r
interval: 3:30
Focus:
Keeping the bicep tight to improve shoulder stability, breathing.

t-rex High Pull:

6s x 5r
interval 1:15
Focus:
...it's likely a combo of keeping the lats tight, plus dropping the bell correctly to the working hand side.
Yup, this was it! These flowed nicely, the best they've ever felt. Definitely a level up!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Up 6:00, train 8:30
SFG Prep, day 3.4

OHS:
10s x 10r
interval: 1:00

TGU:
5s x 1r

t-rex High Pull:

6s x 5r
interval 1:00

Not bad.

“Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together and you've got a kingdom.”
- Jack LaLanne

Up 6:00, train 6:45
SFG Prep, day 3.5

THS:
10s x 10r

TGU:
3s x 1r
interval: 3:00

Deload/off-day

I woke up feeling exhausted, completely depleted. Didn't get my a$$ in gear in time to train. Slacker! I've smashed it hard 12 days in a row.

This evening I will do mobility work and take a long walk.

Think of today as a rest/recovery day as dictated by your body rather than a slack day. Every now and then some rest & recovery is required. Today is your day.

Think of today as a rest/recovery day as dictated by your body rather than a slack day
My body was dictating loud and clear that serious training was out of the question!

brake for the curves.... as you like to say
You're not allowed to use my own lines against me :)
This must be what it feels like when you're a dad and your kid calls you out for the same thing you called them out on :p

Good points, gentlemen :cool:

Up 530, train 6:50
Warm up: D.D., SaS
SFG Prep, day 3.7

OHS:
10s x 10r

TGU:
3s x 1r
Cut back two sets here, as the primary objective is to build my snatch.

t-rex High Pull:
8s x 5r
Added two sets here. I'm getting much better at catching the bell with my lat, not the shoulder. Still no snatching yet, but these will help a great deal.

Up 530, train 6:50
SFG Prep, day 4.1

OHS:
10s x 10r

TGU:
Zero. Banged the crap out of my left forearm on a door handle yesterday.

t-rex High Pull:

4s x 5r
interval 10 breaths

Tomorrow I have an appointment at TNT Performance with Ryan Toshner. I'm going to have an FMS screen, and instruction in the snatch. Much excite!

Tomorrow I have an appointment at TNT Performance with Ryan Toshner
cool! I just read he lives up in Milwaukee on a different post.
I have very little doubt this will be nothing short of amazing.
He really seems to know his stuff.
ENJOY!

I think we may have had this discussion before, but 90 minutes south of Milwaukee would be, around Downer's Grove/Aurora?

He does indeed know his stuff. He was the primary instructor for the StrongFirst kettlebell course I took last month. Well worth the 1.5 hour drive.

Up 6:00, train 9:00
SFG Prep, day 4.2

Big rain storms here. Rivers were still high from the last pummeling we got, so I rescheduled my appointment at TNT. My car is not designed for fording!

THS:
8s x 10r

TGU:
2s x 1r
Went light to gauge my body's reaction

t-rex High Pull:

10s x 5r
Snatch up/down last rep
interval 1:15
Bit of a lightbulb moment...at the top of the snatch the bell lands naturally in the optimal position on my hand...but I was making a bad adjustment and easing it deeper into my palm before dropping it. Kicking in the lats ASAP also helped. Eliminating that bad adjustment + more lats made it much easier on my skin!

Backing off the volume of swings and get-ups to prioritize building the snatch.

Up 7:30, train 9:15
Warm up: D.D., SaS, a few sets of THS, TGU lunge hip flexor stretch
SFG Prep, day 4.3

THS:
8s x 10r
Experimented with narrowing my stance. Recruited the glutes more.

TGU:
2s x 1r

t-rex High Pull:

10s x 5r
Snatch up/down last rep on sets 2,4,7, & 8
Anna's advice of "Jerk it down, loosen grip, bell flips, catch in fingers" helped. Managed to tear two callouses, but they don't seem too deep...we'll see tomorrow :mad:

Forgot to note about the snatch:
90% of my problem with the bell jerking my arm straight has dissipated. Also doing a much better job of projecting my power upwards and getting the hips into the movement earlier with my breath. Happy for the progress there!

Up 5:30, train 6:45
Warm up: D.D., SaS, a few sets of THS, TGU lunge hip flexor stretch
SFG Prep, day 4.4

THS:
10s x 10r
Again with the closer stance. Liking it.

TGU:
2s x 1r

Needed a deload day for my skin :cool:

Felt quite good after this session.

Up 5:30, train 6:45
Warm up: D.D., SaS, a few sets of THS
SFG Prep, day 4.5

THS:
6s x 10r
Cut back two more sets here.

TGU:
2s x 1r

t-rex High Pull:

10s x 5r

Hips are feeling the extra work. Attempting to balance everything out with priority on learning the snatch. Feeling good, still learning on the high pull which is great.

Back
Top Bottom