all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Living and Training With Crohn’s Disease

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

jaku

Level 4 Valued Member
On Monday, May 2nd, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

Before my diagnosis, I was trying to gain weight and muscle through hypertrophy training. Results were slow, and I was in a lot of pain due to eating foods that were hurting my body. Other symptoms of the disease affected me as well such as constant fatigue, joint pain and bleeding. I was fighting a losing battle and didn't know it.

After my diagnosis (2 days ago), I've had to cut out 90% of the things that I consume such as red meat, beans, cooked tomatoes, protein powder, dairy, nuts and grains, whole wheat, raw leafy greens, fruit, and other things that contribute to my inflammation.

As far as traditional bulking diets go, they're off the table. As far as meat protein sources, my only option is chicken, which I've never liked or cooked. Egg whites could be another source.

I've lost most of my natural and hard-earned strength thanks to this disease. I'm 130lbs of atrophying muscle mass currently and at constant risk of malnutrition because my body doesn't absorb nutrients properly. It's difficult to meet my protein intake needs with a small appetite and stomach size now. And as the saying goes, you gotta eat big to get big.

With a minimal diet, maybe I should shift my goal from training for hypertrophy (feel-good vibes) to training for strength with minimal programs like S&S. But what holds me back is that I feel like I won't get as good of a physique (and w/ sub-optimal protein intake, it won't matter anyway).

I'm at a crossroads. Being strong and looking good are important for my mental health. I want to look good in the clothes I wear and feel attractive. I feel that being skinny and weak isn't attractive. Maybe it's time to change my beliefs but it's really hard to look at myself in the mirror these days.

Just venting... I've been feeling really down and lost.

Last edited:
Life may appear bleak at the moment but it will get better now that you have been diagnosed. If you have started the anti inflammatory and immune suppressant medications then these should go some way to reducing your flare up. From there you can slowly introducing foods back to your diet, notice a negative change, move along and try something else, but revisit your suspect aggrivant when stronger. Sadly certain food and drinks may need to be removed permanently. Consider environmental factors, clothing, cleaning agents etc as possible sources of stimulation of the immune system. Everybody is unique and different in what a trigger could be. Likewise certain medications will work better than others. It may take some time to get the right combination and dosage. Train when you feel your strength return. Learn to take the good days with the bad. There will be be plenty of set backs as you adjust. In the long term though the disease is largely controllable out with the flare ups.

Before my diagnosis, I was trying to gain weight and muscle through hypertrophy training. Results were slow, and I was in a lot of pain due to eating foods that were hurting my body. Other symptoms of the disease affected me as well such as constant fatigue, joint pain and bleeding. I was fighting a losing battle and didn't know it.

After my diagnosis (2 days ago), I've had to cut out 90% of the things that I consume such as red meat, beans, cooked tomatoes, protein powder, dairy, nuts and grains, whole wheat, raw leafy greens, fruit, and other things that contribute to my inflammation.

As far as traditional bulking diets go, they're off the table. As far as meat protein sources, my only option is chicken, which I've never liked or cooked. Egg whites could be another source.

I've lost most of my natural and hard-earned strength thanks to this disease. I'm 130lbs of atrophying muscle mass currently and at constant risk of malnutrition because my body doesn't absorb nutrients properly. It's difficult to meet my protein intake needs with a small appetite and stomach size now. And as the saying goes, you gotta eat big to get big.

With a minimal diet, maybe I should shift my goal from training for hypertrophy (feel-good vibes) to training for strength with minimal programs like S&S. But what holds me back is that I feel like I won't get as good of a physique (and w/ sub-optimal protein intake, it won't matter anyway).

I'm at a crossroads. Being strong and looking good are important for my mental health. I want to look good in the clothes I wear and feel attractive. I feel that being skinny and weak isn't attractive. Maybe it's time to change my beliefs but it's really hard to look at myself in the mirror these days.

Tough right now. Still, you got a diagnose. Now you have an idea of what is going on and why your body was acting up.

Slowly work from there. Get the ball rolling. If it is S&S so be it. Make little changes, see how the body reacts. Keep making little changes. Monitor sleep, general well being. Training is recovery recovery recovery. Even more so if you have a medical condition. Seek your balance.

Take a look into Wim Hof’s method. Apparently it has helped people with your condition. Disclosure: I am not a doctor and this is not an endorsement of anything. Just a suggestion that there are many paths open to you. Explore them, see what works, discard what doesn’t.

All the best. Real strength, is, as some say around these parts, an attitude.

I don't have any personal experience to share, but I know that NBA player Larry Nance Jr. has Crohn's. Here's an article about his experience. The article is a little old; it's from when he was a senior in college and he just finished his seventh year in the NBA, but it does a good job tracing his experience from his diagnosis in high school. It sounds like at the time of his diagnosis he could have written the OP:

Larry Nance Jr. Inspiring Crohn’s Community

As far as meat protein sources, my only option is chicken, which I've never liked or cooked. Egg whites could be another source.
You’ve got your diagnosis so now is the time to be the best you can be with your diagnosis. I’ve read your horoscope and it says you are going to be strong and muscular with a lot of chicken and egg whites in your life. Go to it!

As luke stated, chicken and eggs are the main two protein sources for many bodybuilders out there, both pretty clean and worth it, not at all suboptimal as you stated, no one ever got into the Mr Olympia stage eating only red meat, big bodybuilders are the fear of the chicken hen!

You should clear with your doctor first the foods you are allowed to take, anecdotally I know that extra virgin olive oil may be your friend on the process, lots of kcals and easy to digest, but do not cook with it, just use it on top of your food, but again check with your doc.

Aim as others said to keep the ball rolling and aim to recover, don't chase any bulking, even eating below maintenance kcals is good just think about this process where you lost that weight as a fresh start to begin with your everlasting clean bulking process.

No personal experience and I’m certainly not offering any advice, or endorsing any methods, but I have a relation who has Crohns. He runs marathon plus distances, cycles, and rock climbs. He is pretty scrupulous about his diet however.

You might find the book, The Maker's Diet, helpful.

I had read inspiring story in Scott Carney's What doesn't kill us (if I recall correctly). Although I am not a fan of Wim Hof method, practicing cold exposure has huge potential in treating such health issues. You can check Rhonda Patrick on YT, she knows a lot about cold exposure and its benefits.
The next one is fasting. However, this might be problematic if you need rather smaller and more frequent meals and you already lost a lot of weight.

Another little tip would be eating more of stuff like gelatin, bone broths and combine it with some vitamin C. There is some emerging evidence that it helps to heal lining of your gut, but I am not sure out of my head - try googling a little. If you understand Czech, find risebyperformance on instagram - he did quite a lot of research related to this topic.

Start slowly and be careful.

When your health improves, and I believe it will, you can regain some muscles if you want. You will be also able to eat food which is strict no-no in your current acute situation.

Take a look into Wim Hof’s method. Apparently it has helped people with your condition. Disclosure: I am not a doctor and this is not an endorsement of anything. Just a suggestion that there are many paths open to you. Explore them, see what works, discard what doesn’t.
Only after my post I noticed somebody else mentioned this. But let's call it cold exposure ;)
+1

I’m not a doctor but I can tell
You many people have turned to carnivore-ish animal based diets to cure their Crohn’s disease. Beans and plant foods will for sure be an issue but red meat is likely not a factor. I have celiacs and going animal based has completely changed my life. I’m completely off all medications. Do your research, and don’t just accept that you have to be on prednisone and other anti inflammatory meds. You can get it under control with your diet and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! I know the stress and anxiety and depression that can come along with having to completely change your food intake. But know that once you dial it in you’ll feel great and won’t want to ever go back.

My own journey has been hard and going animal based has been my last resort as I’ve tried it all. Vegan, keto, typical western diet….everything killed my system except carnivore….. I wish I tried it years ago. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses and support. I've been sitting with this for the past few days, and it's the start of a long new journey for me. My doctor is calling for a bunch of tests and samples, including an MRE. I'm happy she's doing her best to help me, and I expressed my concern about the financial impact of it all.

As far as short-term medication goes, I'm being prescribed Budesonide 9 mg/day. Adverse reactions associated with steroids include insomnia, depression, suicidal thoughts, mania, weight gain, and osteoporosis.

I believe that I can turn this setback into a success in time.

We're here to cheer you on..

Get in touch with Lane Britnell, he's an awesome SFGII and SFL.. he also has Crohn's
Is Lane Britnell on this forum? What's the best way to get in touch with him?

I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 7 years ago, symptoms started around 10 years. I'd be happy to talk with you about it.
What's life and training like for you these days?

You many people have turned to carnivore-ish animal based diets to cure their Crohn’s disease. Beans and plant foods will for sure be an issue but red meat is likely not a factor. I have celiacs and going animal based has completely changed my life. I’m completely off all medications. Do your research, and don’t just accept that you have to be on prednisone and other anti inflammatory meds. You can get it under control with your diet and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! I know the stress and anxiety and depression that can come along with having to completely change your food intake. But know that once you dial it in you’ll feel great and won’t want to ever go back.

My own journey has been hard and going animal based has been my last resort as I’ve tried it all. Vegan, keto, typical western diet….everything killed my system except carnivore….. I wish I tried it years ago. I wish you the best.
This is an interesting take. The doctor was going to prescribe me something strong and short-term and then transition me to something more long-term. I really don't like the fact I'll be on medication for the rest of my life and I'd like to make the effort to get to a point where I don't need medication. Where can I read more about carnivore diets, is there a reputable source on the internet? I've read that red meat isn't really the way forward anymore and I should be looking more into chicken and eggs.

Last edited:
I looked at this thread yesterday and today. Thanks for reaching out about it! The saying that comes to mind for me is "a little and often over the long haul." Apply that how you will.

I think it means how you eat as well as how you train. For lifting, start slow. Just carrying heavy stuff could be a good 'go to' a few times a week as you transition into your reformed lifestyle.

As Pavel and others say, a exercise session should give you more than it takes away. Find those exercises that have minimal mental, physical, and emotional impact in the minutes, hours, and days after. Find things that make you feel good and get rest.

I am advising you, but I am really advising me! Good luck. God speed. Strength and happiness to you!

Some of the
Thank you everyone for your responses and support. I've been sitting with this for the past few days, and it's the start of a long new journey for me. My doctor is calling for a bunch of tests and samples, including an MRE. I'm happy she's doing her best to help me, and I expressed my concern about the financial impact of it all.

As far as short-term medication goes, I'm being prescribed Budesonide 9 mg/day. Adverse reactions associated with steroids include insomnia, depression, suicidal thoughts, mania, weight gain, and osteoporosis.

This is an interesting take. The doctor was going to prescribe me something strong and short-term and then transition me to something more long-term. I really don't like the fact I'll be on medication for the rest of my life and I'd like to make the effort to get to a point where I don't need medication. Where can I read more about carnivore diets, is there a reputable source on the internet? I've read that red meat isn't really the way forward anymore and I should be looking more into chicken and eggs.
Follow Dr Shawn Baker on Twitter or search “world carnivore tribe”. Amazing stories.

Here’s another my wife follows….BTW, chicken is a terrible choice IMO because of what they’re fed. You are what the thing you ate, ate and all that. Also, research the problems associated with consuming seed oils. I have other sources but time doesn’t permit rn.4E0075A2-FEDD-4647-AF01-4800605F292C.jpeg

It’s got to be a trial and error thing. I thought I was destined to be on medication my entire life and every doctor I ever saw told me so. I was hospitalized for asthma at 32 my lungs were just shut off I will get so sick at the faintest smell of perfume. I would literally almost s*** my pants every single day at work my stomach was hurting so bad every single morning. And this was after going gluten-free for almost 7 years. Just cutting out wheat was not enough for me. I didn’t start seeing results until I cut out all grains corn, rice, beans, leafy greens, All the things that have excess fiber that every doctor says you need to have in your life. It literally only took a month of being on a Carnivorish diet for me to start seeing crazy results that I never would’ve expected. If you do you research you’ll find that most plant foods that we eat with tons of fiber contain lots of vitamins and minerals but that our bodies don’t know how to absorb them and most of those vitamins and minerals just get s*** and pissed out. Where is meat and dairy products have tons of vitamins and minerals that we need and it is the most bioavailable source of nutrients we can get. And that’s one of the biggest problems with autoimmune disease is that we don’t get the nutrients that we need because our bodies don’t absorb it. I’ll make sure I eat liver every single day because it’s full of vitamins is the most nutrient dense part of the animal. I eat a lot of dairy products now but not dairy products from the grocery store I found some local people who make cheeses kefir yogurt and butter with goat and cows milk and it’s full of vitamin K2 which is a super important fat soluble vitamin. I’ve been able to add fruit back into my diet and potatoes occasionally and I don’t have any bad reaction with it but most people who have auto immune disease should try an elimination diet of just meat. If you’re anything like me you’re probably on your last resort anyway I never in my wildest dreams would’ve thought I’d be eating a diet like this if you told me that 10 years ago I would’ve said you’re crazy. And when I started it I was only half assed going to do it and I thought no way it’s going to make a difference but 2 to 3 weeks and I didn’t have any episodes where I was going to s*** my pants my headaches were going away and I stopped using my asthma inhalers. I started getting into more and more research about the human diet and the western diet and it led me to Dr. Westin Price who was a dentist from the 30s and he wrote a book called nutrition degeneration where he discusses how people on primitive diets had almost no diet related diseases like diabetes heart disease cancer and tooth decay and then he studied people who just started eating the western diet one generation away and the results are staggering. And when you read the book he you realize he was all over the damn world he didn’t just study one culture he hit every continent…. And every continent where the western diet was, there was terrible disease and the people who are on the primitive diets were flourishing.

Most of what they ate was fish/ meat and some plant foods but not the kind of plant foods we eat because we have completely deteriorated our soil of nutrients. The vegetables and the grains that people had 100s of years ago contained way more nutrients. And people normally sprouted grains and soak them in water before eating them so they would be easier digested. Some of the cultures survived on almost all meat and only sustain themselves with plant foods when they could not get meat. But the cultures who survived on meat are nose to tail. And they prized the organ meats like the liver pancreas the heart the kidneys and even the testicles because they were full of vitamins and nutrients. This all sounded completely crazy to me are used to eat nothing but Mexican food at taco trucks and sandwiches every single day and I was sick as f***. If you wanna research it yourself just type in an auto immune disease and carnivore diet because it’s a simple cure for almost every autoimmune disease that I have researched and to a T most people who try it go into it thinking they’re going to do it for a few days and end up loving it. Dr. Sean Baker is a good resource as somebody said there’s another person who I’ve researched who goes by the name of the Carnivore MD his real name is Paul Saladino but if you want some all the references from where they get most of their information from look into the Price pottenger foundation.

I don’t think any doctor would disagree with the statement, the bottom line is you have to heal your gut before you’re going to see any results… i’ve done the medication route and I’ve also done the natural diet route and for me the diet works better 100% Bone broth is a huge gut relief. And also eating bone marrow is very good for your stomach you can buy bones at sprouts or from your local farmers market possibly and eat the marrow at least once or twice a day. Intermittent fasting has also done wonders for my gut. I do 24hr fasts every other day, it allows the digestive system to rest and honestly eating carnivore keeps me more satiated and I don’t want to eat 10 times a day anymore. I feel for you and I understand exactly what you’re going through even though Crohn’s and celiac’s are two different diseases the type of issues we face and the discomfort we face are very similar…. also the outcome if your diet doesn’t change is very similar in both diseases. But just know you’re not alone and there’s millions of people out there who have no idea that they have autoimmune issues and they just live every day in denial. I come across people all the time who complain about horrible stomach problems headaches all the symptoms of auto immune. And when I tell them there could possibly be a simple fix most people don’t believe me…But it’s been my goal to share my results and try and help as many people as I can because if my life can improve this much by just eating delicious ribeyes every day then I feel like there’s other people out there like me who could benefit. And if you’re worried about cholesterol I was too and I went to the doctor recently and had full blood work done and for me my cholesterol wasn’t affected all my blood work came back really good. But the way I look at it now is that asthma medicine is terrible for your heart and can actually cause a heart attack and most heartburn medicines have been tied to cancer in the long run and other stomach issues prednisone is terrible for your body causes mood swings and anxiety and really affects your sleep… If I go in Carnivore I can get off all these I’m willing to take the risk that I might have high cholesterol which has not actually been proven to be a factor in heart disease a lot of doctors and scientists are now saying that inflammation is the biggest factor and heart disease. I know I put a lot in this post take what you want from it I just know there’s support out there and there are a lot of other people like you don’t get depressed and try different things be open. See what works for you.

I also think it’s worth a read to buy Dr. Weston price book. It’s kind of outdated in a lot of ways but there’s a ton of good information in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom