all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Living and Training With Crohn’s Disease

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Here’s another my wife follows….BTW, chicken is a terrible choice IMO because of what they’re fed. You are what the thing you ate, ate and all that. Also, research the problems associated with consuming seed oils. I have other sources but time doesn’t permit rn.View attachment 17476
I agree the chicken is not the best choice because a lot of people don’t know that chicken is way higher in omega 6 than red meat. Omega sixes are known to be inflammatory where is read meat consist of mostly omega-3’s Which are known to be more anti-inflammatory. I can go into all the benefits of red meat versus white meat but I’m not trying to bore everybody. I just know that red meat has been wrongly vilified over the last 30-40 years as the reason for heart disease but there are cultures that still eat tons of red meat and have some of the lowest rates of heart disease in the world. Another big factor in why people have so many autoimmune diseases and why are countries so sick is because of the seed oil’s and the low fat movement it was all bullshit

Sorry to hear about the OPs diagnosis of Crohns disease. Like several chronic diseases, it is best addressed by a mutiple factor approach:

Stress plays a role in it although this may not be obvious to individual sufferers. Dr Ainslie Meares mentions several cases studies of people with gut problems including Crohns disease who found help in learning the type of meditation Dr Meares taught. This involves relaxing the body and mind so the mind slows down and stills. Some cases went into complete remission and others had dramatic reductions in Crohns after learning his approach. Meares has passed away but his method is in several of his books. It is compatible with various methods here, however, there is no emphasis on breathing just on relaxation. Relaxation is the opposite of tension and is effortless. This applies to relaxation of the mind as well as the body.

Getting sufficient sleep is important. The type of meditation I mentioned will help the quality of sleep.

Diet I would suggest meat, fish, vegetables and some tree nuts and fruit. You may find nuts are "gritty" and will evoke a reaction now and you need to introduce them later. On meat, if chicken and red meat is grain fed then the amounts of omega 6&9 fats goes up which is undesirable. Pasture fed meats, which is the natural food, are higher in omega 3 fats. Most chicken is grain fed although you may be able to find open range fed chicken. "Organic" unless a definition is provided is not helpful as it can be pasture or grain or some other industrial food concoction. In addition, some farmers "finish" their animals on grain and this is done in feed lots. They may say it was pasture fed, however, the omega 6&9s will be higher in such animals than those not "finished". Consumption of dairy and grains may also contribute to the problems experience in Crohn's disease. Where diet is concerned a certain amount of experimentation will be required, usually done by elimination of most foods and then reintroduction one by one. It is important to realise that some cases find that adding even very small amounts of some foods can aggravate the condition.

The right amount of physical activity is helpful and you are on this forum and so have access to all the information here. You might want to be on a general GPP type program that is scalable so you can make sessions consistently doable until you have matters under better control. You do not want to add a stress -inflammatory reaction to your body with the training you are doing at present, so treat it as practice. Progress might be slower but the sooner you have things under control, the sooner you can cautiously do more training.

Anyway, I hope this information is of assistance.

Been doing a lot of research on the carnivore diet thanks to y'all. Even got a chance to speak with a nutritionist yesterday who also recommended I focus on a high protein diet and avoid things such as gluten, wheat, and dairy.

Currently experimenting and taking it slow. Decided to keep a journal. I will be healthy again.

I had Ulcerative Colitis - essentially Crohn's disease but only affecting the colon (large intestine). Diagnosed at 12, on a bunch of medications - steroids, pain relief, immune suppressants etc, I was still visiting the emergency department fortnightly for pain relief. At the age of 17, with no treatments working or giving relief, I took the drastic option and had my colon and rectum removed. Now my digestive system is basically stomach, small intestine, J-pouch (a surgically constructed rectum) and out. 20 years later and it's the best thing I've done.

Happy to chat about any questions you've got given my rather drastic experience.

I had Ulcerative Colitis - essentially Crohn's disease but only affecting the colon (large intestine). Diagnosed at 12, on a bunch of medications - steroids, pain relief, immune suppressants etc, I was still visiting the emergency department fortnightly for pain relief. At the age of 17, with no treatments working or giving relief, I took the drastic option and had my colon and rectum removed. Now my digestive system is basically stomach, small intestine, J-pouch (a surgically constructed rectum) and out. 20 years later and it's the best thing I've done.

Happy to chat about any questions you've got given my rather drastic experience.
Just curious… what type of training do you engage in; or maybe perhaps, have you found any training that you can’t do, or are limited in some fashion?
Thanks

Been doing a lot of research on the carnivore diet thanks to y'all. Even got a chance to speak with a nutritionist yesterday who also recommended I focus on a high protein diet and avoid things such as gluten, wheat, and dairy.

Currently experimenting and taking it slow. Decided to keep a journal. I will be healthy again.
When I went on carnivore it was a last ditch effort and I didn’t think it would work along with many other people who go into it very skeptical. I’m not 100% Carnivore I started out that way but I’ve been able to add fruit back in and chocolate occasionally and sometimes potatoes if I want and it doesn’t cause any reaction. Once again I wish you the best of luck and make sure when you are eating regardless of whether you do carnivore or other options really watch the seed oils the only oils we should be eating or avocado oil if it’s 100% or possibly olive oil if it’s not cooked at a super high temp an animal fats like beef tallow

Just curious… what type of training do you engage in; or maybe perhaps, have you found any training that you can’t do, or are limited in some fashion?
Thanks
They had to open me up from sternum to groin for the surgery, so my abs were literally cut in half - full recovery from that took about 6 months. There is a big line/indent between the two sides which you can see if I flex them, but it's never been an issue.

No restrictions for training - I have/can do anything and core weakness/stability has never been an issue - all barbell, kettlebell, dumbbell/core movements are fine plus all rowing, biking, running etc are fine too. Diet wise, no issues - just a faster path through!

When I went on carnivore it was a last ditch effort and I didn’t think it would work along with many other people who go into it very skeptical. I’m not 100% Carnivore I started out that way but I’ve been able to add fruit back in and chocolate occasionally and sometimes potatoes if I want and it doesn’t cause any reaction. Once again I wish you the best of luck and make sure when you are eating regardless of whether you do carnivore or other options really watch the seed oils the only oils we should be eating or avocado oil if it’s 100% or possibly olive oil if it’s not cooked at a super high temp an animal fats like beef tallow

I was watching that guy on Youtube and was wondering about soy beans (edamame).

Thank you everyone for your responses and support. I've been sitting with this for the past few days, and it's the start of a long new journey for me. My doctor is calling for a bunch of tests and samples, including an MRE. I'm happy she's doing her best to help me, and I expressed my concern about the financial impact of it all.

As far as short-term medication goes, I'm being prescribed Budesonide 9 mg/day. Adverse reactions associated with steroids include insomnia, depression, suicidal thoughts, mania, weight gain, and osteoporosis.

I believe that I can turn this setback into a success in time.

Is Lane Britnell on this forum? What's the best way to get in touch with him?

What's life and training like for you these days?

This is an interesting take. The doctor was going to prescribe me something strong and short-term and then transition me to something more long-term. I really don't like the fact I'll be on medication for the rest of my life and I'd like to make the effort to get to a point where I don't need medication. Where can I read more about carnivore diets, is there a reputable source on the internet? I've read that red meat isn't really the way forward anymore and I should be looking more into chicken and eggs.
I’m happy to chat with you about it. It would be easier to talk than go back-and-forth through the forum because a lot of stuff is dependent on each person and the specifics of the case. Is there a good way for us to swap numbers, if you’re interested?

If not, totally fine, and I can tell you as much as possible via this forum and thread.

Last edited:
Wanted to do a quick update on this. Ended up going for Remicade treatment things have been better and I'm regaining my strength and even beating some old PRs. For example, last week I hit a 315 deadlift 1RM (Hex Bar) at 132-135lbs.

My diet primarily consists of eating grass-fed beef of all different kinds of cuts and preparations, goat milk, and white rice. I blend bananas into almond shakes as well. Sometimes I go out to eat, but now I prefer making my oxtails, bone broths, cow foot, steaks, and chuck roasts.

On Monday, May 2nd, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

I've lost most of my natural and hard-earned strength thanks to this disease. I'm 130lbs of atrophying muscle mass currently and at constant risk of malnutrition because my body doesn't absorb nutrients properly. It's difficult to meet my protein intake needs with a small appetite and stomach size now. And as the saying goes, you gotta eat big to get big.

Just venting... I've been feeling really down and lost.

Get help. Ask your doctor for a nutritionist recommendation, read up on the subject, too. No reason to go it alone.

-S-

Get help. Ask your doctor for a nutritionist recommendation, read up on the subject, too. No reason to go it alone.

-S-

Hey Steve, long time to talk!

I'm currently undergoing Remicade treatment which is an infusion I receive every 6-8 weeks. I've been feeling great and living pain-free since August. I get blood work done regularly and so far things seem to be going well.

Back
Top Bottom