all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Loaded Carries

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Im out

Level 5 Valued Member
Anyone using loaded carries in their training. As finisher or stand alone exercise ?

Im thinking of using farmer walks as a finisher. "Heavy" for about 30 meters (33 yards) 2 rounds.

Or.. doing heavy medium, and light. Medium would be 48 meters and light would be 96 meters.

Weight indication would be heavy: bodyweight, medium 66% bw and light 50%bw.

As for the heavy day it would be farmer walks. Medium could be rack walks. And light would be the combination of waiter walk rack walk and farmer walk ( in that particulair order )

frequency : either 3x per week after a workout as finisher or later that day.

Or every day (heavy medium light)

Thoughts, suggestions ? Share experience ? ☺

I do them by feel usually at the end of a training session (S&S or ROP), no specific progression, usually just as heavy as I can manage and either switching stances (overhead to rack to suitcase) or resting (for heavy farmers or heavy double rack carries) when I’m about 80% of integrity (grip, abs, shoulders - whatever is bearing the load). This helps me learn the weak point of the chain - for me, it’s usually not lungs but grip, forearm, or lats.

My go-to’s:
- Cook Drill: with a bell you can bottom-up clean, start overhead then switch to rack, then to suitcase carry, then repeat the other side. Switch when you are at 80% integrity. See how long you can go with only two switches per side.
- Uneven rack carries. Close in weight is easier, big variation (16/24) is harder. Switch sides each time, go for time or distance.
- Farmers. Not as common because I don’t have a pair of heavy bells (I have to use the 32 and then hold two 16s in the other hand - and this is still only ~70% of bodyweight combined), but I just do longer/farther rounds.

I often take one bell for a quarter mile suitcase carry walk to finish my training sessions. With the 28kg bell, I will do this unbroken, meaning I switch hands but I never put it down or stop.

In this thread over a davedraper Dan John says that he likes to do them early - and not as a finisher.

Personally, I like to do them before training or just as a standalone "strength snack".

Dan has also referenced a statement by Gray Cook about performing lighter loaded carries for a longer period of time, which I believe was two minutes.

Dan has also referenced a statement by Gray Cook about performing lighter loaded carries for a longer period of time, which I believe was two minutes.

Im aware. I tried the cook drill or whatever its called, but its quite easy for me.

I suitcase carry all day long so i dont need that particulair carry in my exercise routine either. I even add a tool every (2) week(s) to make it progressively harder lol.

Im aware. I tried the cook drill or whatever its called, but its quite easy for me.

I suitcase carry all day long so i dont need that particulair carry in my exercise routine either. I even add a tool every (2) week(s) to make it progressively harder lol.

If the Cook drill is too easy, just go heavier. I have found that doing the Cook drill with a weight you are about to master (for example just about to press or snatch) does wonders for confidence and shoulder stability. Of course, then you have to go for less time and use proper judgement on when to call it quits. I am usually conservative with the waiter carry for obvious reasons, but can dig deep for the rack and suitcase. By the way, the suitcase carry gets surprisingly difficult after the waiter and rack carries just before, at least for me. I usually do one full round on one side and immediately one full round for the other side, rest a bit and repeat once or twice. Example of distance is about 120m total for one round on one side.

Dan John suggested something he calls the "cooked" drill: just like the Cook drill, but with the addition of swings in between each transition. I have my own version that is even more challenging: X (X to be specified below, but 5-10 probably a good idea) snatches, hold the last one and waiter walk until loss of integrity, X cleans, hold the last one and rack walk until loss of integrity or until you have to give up ( or maybe just a bit before, if you want to run many rounds). X 1 hand swings, waiter walk until loss of integrity or untilyour grip or core gives up. X is the number of ballistics that gives your heart rate a good bump while allowing you to do the carry after.

You can adjust X and the carry length depending on whether you want the drill to be hard on cardio, whatever that means, or on muscle endurance/strength. If you use X = 10 and do two complete rounds each side, that's 120 ballistic movements and a lot of time under tension. I use the 32 as I am just starting to snatch it and it is my 1 RM press, but my cardio is my weak point at the moment and use X = 5-7.

This is hard and only do it once a week or once every two weeks as a finisher. This can be used also as a stand-alone session on a day you are short on time. Anyone who can do this with a Beast is one.

I do them by feel usually at the end of a training session (S&S or ROP), no specific progression, usually just as heavy as I can manage

That's my usual MO as well, usually double 48's for 30 metres x 3. That's 20 lbs. over my BW. Other days double 32's or 36's for 2 minutes. Sometimes 1 handed. Then I do bottom up cleans with 24, 28 or 32 depending on how strong I feel that day. Great finishers for me.
I save the beginning of the workout for special projects. Right now I'm working to GU with a 48. Just practicing roll to the elbow for now..

Yesterday
Loaded Carries Light (20+16)
- Waiters walk 36 kg x 32m x 2
- Rack Walk 36 kg x 32m x 2
- Farmers Walk 36 kg x 32 x 2

Today
Loaded Carries Heavy
- FW 36+32 > 2 x 24 meter (100%bw)
- RW 24+24 > 2 x 32 meter (67% bw)
- WW 16+16 > 2 x 40 meter (50% bw)

Thoughts ?

Dan has a wonderful gem. The sparhawk! Did it after my regular DMPM (Dan Martin Program Minimum) as suggested by Dan. It did light up my oliques quite well!

In this thread over a davedraper Dan John says that he likes to do them early - and not as a finisher.

Personally, I like to do them before training or just as a standalone "strength snack".

Was going to say this. Kinda maddening that everyone thinks of them as a finisher. Do them as a main strength movement once and a while

Time has been limited lately. And the last 2 weeks I've done loaded carry for 2 laps (1/4 mile each lap) and the local park with my 16 kg bell. Locked overhead, racked, farmers carry for 1/3 of each lap. First lap left hand, last lap right hand. Then I lay down and suck air for 5 min!

I have been doing the cook drill. I have noticed i am mixh stronger in the overhead carry and the farmers carry, but the rack carry is especially hard for me.

Anyone else experience this, and if so what would be the reasoning. For me its hard to breathe in the rack carry even.

For instance i will overhead carry 53lbs for minute, farmer carry for a minute, rack position may only be 15 seconds.

I have been doing the cook drill. I have noticed i am mixh stronger in the overhead carry and the farmers carry, but the rack carry is especially hard for me.

Anyone else experience this, and if so what would be the reasoning. For me its hard to breathe in the rack carry even.

For instance i will overhead carry 53lbs for minute, farmer carry for a minute, rack position may only be 15 seconds.
IMO It really forces you to learn how to breathe behind the shield aka breathing while having braced abs. Also, the kettlebell is pulling on your arm to leave the rack position.

It's definitely the best carry for learning how to breathe and how to use the abs to stabilize while moving under load.

Abdominal breathing, you just HAVE TO during rack carries.

Do them as a main strength movement once and a while

I don't use them as my main strength movement, because I don't have that much weight to go around with. Plus I'm still doing and enjoying KB routines.

And when you do them as a main strength movement, how does it look like ? Weight, distance, time, repeats, variations ?

Dan has a wonderful gem. The sparhawk! Did it after my regular DMPM (Dan Martin Program Minimum) as suggested by Dan. It did light up my oliques quite well!

Cool, link it ? Googled but can't find.

Last edited:
Cool, link it ? Googled but can't find.

Enjoy! (y)
8 Goblet squats, then march away with the bell in the left hand about 60 feet (gym length is best)
7 Goblet squats, then return to the original position with the bell in the right hand
6 Goblet squats, left-hand suitcase walk
5 Goblet squats, right-hand walk
4 Goblet squats, left-hand walk
3 Goblet squats, right-hand walk
2 Goblet squats, left-hand walk
1 Goblet squat, finished

That is 36 squats, but you are under load for about three minutes. Your anti-rotation muscles are going to be working overtime with the asymmetrical walking and then will still have to join in to support the squats. You get the benefits of squatting, including the mobility and flexibility work plus the additional boon of three minutes of time under tension.

Mix in some presses, pulls and some swings and you have a nice, quick full-body workout that won’t take very long.

If you like training outdoors, extend the walks and learn why many, including back expert Stu McGill, consider the suitcase walk one of the best core exercises you can find.

(Dan John: Wandering Weights, Issue # 72 - On Target Publications)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom