all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Lower back, lumbar extensors, spine health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Kowalski

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey guys. Recently I’ve been studying spinal training methods, I read most of the studies on lumbar extensors strength by J. Steele, who claims that the popular strength exercises for the back like deadlifts, back extensions and bird dogs are not a sufficient stimulus for the lumbar extensors musculature - even though these muscles are active in the exercises. He recommends a lumbar extension machine which isolates these muscles and it supposedly works very well. I came upon a Stuart McGill’s book “Ultimate back fitness & performance” and that’s what he says about lumbar isolation machines: “some exercise devices are based on the approach to isolate lumbar motion. This creates stress concentrations in the lumbar discs. Replicating the range of motion (from neutral to full flexion), together with the compressive loads measured in some of these devices is one of the better ways we have found to produce disc herniation in the lab. On the other hand, it is possible that adjusting the range of motion (neutral into extension) may reduce some bulges (Scannell and McGill, 2009). This only appears to have potential for discs that have not lost more the 30% of their height.”

Have you experienced any problems with loaded flexion/extension? Every time I do some kind of prone hyperextensions or bent over hyperextensions without the hip movement to isolate the lumbar muscles the muscle pump is accompanied by some kind of mild sensation in my back - I can’t tell if it comes from the discs or the deep lumbar musculature, but considering the above quote it makes me question the safety of that kind of practice. I have no pain with exercises which involve neutral spine, but they don’t even come close in terms of the stimulus to the lower back - the muscles of the hips and legs give up first. Do you have any thoughts recommendations in that area?

Do you have any thoughts recommendations in that area?
I'm with Stu McGill. I suffered a severe herniated disc about 20 years ago, and I have had _zero_ luck with extension/hyperextension exercises, even unweighted "superman" movements - they all bother my back.

I could go on and on here but won't. Suffice it to say that lots of folks seems to like the kind of exercises you're asking about, but the "mild sensation" in your back could very well be exactly what Stu McGill says it is, and if he's right, you're setting yourself up for an injury.

Robin McKenzie advocated an extension exercise, which I did and do, and which works well, but the important difference is that McKenzie's exercise is passive extension - you use your arms to raise your upper body while your hips remain on the floor. That, IMHO, is a very important distinction.

What's missing in this discussion is lengthening or compressing the spine while bending it - therein lies all the difference.

-S-

I'm with Stu McGill. I suffered a severe herniated disc about 20 years ago, and I have had _zero_ luck with extension/hyperextension exercises, even unweighted "superman" movements - they all bother my back.
-S-
Yeah my experience is exactly the same. I had thoracic issues since my teens and I used things like superman - I learned that at physical therapy sessions. Then as I started working out I used harder variations - back extensions similar to ghd. They really worked the muscles well, but it started bothering my spine, when I got a sharp pain in my spine I dismissed loaded hyperextensions and sticked to core stability. My back doesn't hurt these days, but every time I go back to extensions, the pain comes back (but it's only mild). But I can do things like deadlifts painfree so I guess it's not that bad after all :) Interestingly, I asked the same question on high intensity strength training forum and some of the guys said that they never experienced any problems with using medx lumbar machine and they supposedly helped many patients to rehab their backs. I think I'll stick to McGill's tips, it seems to work well for me, he makes a lot of sense with core stiffness and he helped top athletes from many sports to salvage their careers.

I used to do isolation extensions, not with a load. These were always done at the end of a session. They never caused me any discomfort and seemed to be a nice finisher.

That said, theses muscles are not really intended to operate to hyperextension with any sort of load, so working them with a max shortening of the muscles is not liable to produce good results - it might, but it doesn't make sense based on their job description.

Swings made a big difference with my back issues, single leg DL have helped a lot, working my abdominal strength helped a lot. The big issue when it comes to back problems is they tend to be very individual when it comes to specifics - what helps one person might aggravate another.

I used to do isolation extensions, not with a load. These were always done at the end of a session. They never caused me any discomfort and seemed to be a nice finisher.
Do you mean back extensions, like on a ghd? I always did these exercises without additional loads and the volume/frequency was usually low.

For some of us, the important variable isn't load or not load, it's the kind of no-load. I focus on extending passively, using my arms to slowly, one vertebra at a time, raise my upper body (it's essentially a Cobra stretch) while focusing on lengthening my spine. This is therapeutic for me and many others.

-S-

The erector spinae are tonic muscles with lots of slow twitch fibers. They are primarily meant to hold you in proper posture for long periods of time and do so under load as well. I would exercise them the same way, to resist spinal motion and maintain proper posture. Your discs will be happier that way.

And...McGill for the win!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom