all posts post new thread

Luis’ Training Log

Luis T. Gonzalez

Level 7 Valued Member
Monday, October 2, 2023

Decided to start a training log here to track my progress and have a good place to look back on my training journey.

Background: I trained boxing as a youth at my dad’s friend's gym he had in the back of his house. Used to lift my dad’s weights, he absolutely loved bodybuilding. Got to H.S. and trained and competed on the HS powerlifting team. Loved those times! Junior year started BJJ and eased off strength training to my own detriment.

Fast forward: Been training BJJ for 20 years now. Injuries from years of training too hard and competing with injuries brought me to strong first. I was able to recover from my injuries and develop strong shoulder I thought I would never have. Two years ago I passed SFG 1. I teach people who ask me to but don’t have a gym, maybe one day.

Current goals: Attend SFG 2 in April. I want to pass the SSST 10-minute snatch test. Keep getting stronger and move better for the years to come.

Current training: I purchased Speed Metal. I chose the timeless snatch protocol to use for the next 4 weeks. I combined this protocol with Geoff Newport’s Giant 3.0.

Today's training:
Timeless snatches 24kg 10x10 in 24 minutes. (Rested 15 min.)
Set a timer for 20 minutes. Double cl&press 36kg bells.
In total, I performed 5 doubles @ 36kg. 2/1 32kg, 2/1 24kg. All sets were performed with two kb’s.

*I had to resist the brain's urge to want to push even harder as I knew I had other training to do tomorrow!

Last edited:
Morning training session: Tues, Oct. 3, 2023
Started Deadlifting PTTP. Began training cycle with low weight approximately 65% 1Rep Training Max.

Warm up: 135x 2, 225 x 3, 245 x 2, 245 x 3
Work sets: 250 x5, 240 x 5
Note: Deadlift felt good. Really focused on bracing hard. Pushing into the ground, popping the hips forward as the bar passed my knees. At the top, I focused on a deep inhale through the nose and braced hard for the next rep. (Learned that low back pain in the deadlift is typically due to poor bracing.)

Evening Snatch Session:
5 reps on the top of the minute. Alternating 28kg and 32kg
* Was feeling a bit tired from the day. Decided to go light. 10 minutes; 5 reps EMOM @ 28kg.
I walked for thirty minutes afterward and felt way more energetic than I did before training.

Last edited:
Morning recharge: Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2023

Hanging from pull-up bar. Weighted lunges with kb in the rack and overhead. KB weighted hamstring releases. GTG mobility throughout the day. Hips and hamstrings are very tense from the previous two days. Performed GTG forced relaxation for them.

Evening
Jogging 1-2 miles to loosen up. 15 minutes

Last edited:
Thursday, October 5, 2023
2hSW 44kg 5 OTM; 8 minutes
(Swings are enough to warm up.)
DL 255/245
The deadlift felt very light after the swings. These helped a lot with grooving the deadlift movement. It also helped with my cleaning of the kb's.

Giant 3.0- Dbl 36kg for at least 3x3. If it starts to feel too heavy before time is up I will switch to Dbl 32's. Was able to get four sets with dbl 36. One set with 32’s

OTM days I plan to roll a die.
  1. = 8 Min. 40 reps
  2. = 12 Min. 60 reps
  3. = 16 Min. 80 reps
  4. = 20 Min. 100 reps
  5. = 24 Min. 120 reps
  6. = 28 Min. 140 reps

Last edited:
Friday, 10/6/23- Light stretches/family time.
Saturday- Timeless Snatches and Giant 3.0 Dbl clean and press. Completed 10x10 snatches in 18 minutes. 8 singles dbl cl&p. Focused on setting up for the clean and press just like I would for the deadlift. This made the weight move much better and it made for more practice in setting up for the deadlift.
Sunday- "Active rest" Trail walking; Played around with some ring dips.

Last edited:
Tuesday, October 10

OTM Heavy snatches 28kg; 12 minutes= 60 snatches. Originally intended to use 28kg. I was feeling good so I performed heavy snatches with 32kg. My drop felt solid and my arm stayed loose on the back swing. Mixed in 1/2 snatches to not over wear on my joints.

PTTP Bear Deadlift; 265/5, 255/5 starting sets. Rested 5 minutes.

Originally planned to get 10 sets. I decided to go lighter than I first intended to allow time to build up. I performed 5/4 @ 235. 5/1 @ 240. It was easy enough to get a feel for performing sets every 90 seconds. 7 sets total of deadlifts.

Evening mobility; Forced relaxation drills

Last edited:
Thursday, October 12

Heavy 2h swings 44kg: 8 minutes, 5 reps OTM.

PTTP Bear: 270/5, 260/5 rest 5 minutes Deadlift 240-250 for sets of 5 every 90 seconds. Did 7 sets some at 240 some at 245 of bear.

Giants 3.0; triples work with double 36kg. 7 sets in 20 minutes.

Forced relaxation mobility.

Last edited:
Tuesday, October 17.

Giant 3.0; 11 sets double 36kg in 30 minutes. 2.5 minute rests.

PTTP Bear. Snatch grip deadlifts. 275/5, 265/5
245x5 for as much as I can get in 20 minutes. Was able to get 10 sets within 20 minutes. Kept good form made sure I was recovered enough to do a solid set of five.

Last edited:
Wednesday, Rested.

Thursday, October 19.

My left elbow is tweaked from wrestling. Decided to switch my conditioning to the Clean and Jerk with 24kg.

Morning; Timeless 10x10 Clean and Jerks, about 25 minutes.

Evening; Giant 3.0 30 minutes with double or single 36kg. May need to use the cheat clean to avoid irritating my elbow. 8 sets.

PTTP, Snatch grip deadlifts with straps; 275/5, 265/5.

Last edited:
Friday, October 20.

Morning training;
24kg 2h sw ladders (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)=49 reps Overspeed Acentrics

Combined swings with goblet squat ladders w. 24kg (1,2,3,4), (1,2,3,4)= 20 reps

Finished with 2 slow TGU's with 24kg.
You are too modest on yourself. If you did 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps, that are 55 reps, not 49

Tuesday, October24.

McGill Big 3: Felt a lot more powerful today when performing swings. McGill Big 3 seems to work well. My posture has felt amazing all day since doing this as a morning recharge.

2 hand swings; 10x10 24kg about 20 minutes. Walked around performed Fast and loose drills.

Doing a few singles of Military Press followed by a rep max with 36kg.

Resting the rest of the week.

Monday next week. Starting 5x5x5 program. Exercise selection:

Deadlift, Zercher squat, Barbell military press, Turkish get ups, Yoke carries. One set of five daily. Week 4 deload with sets of 3. Week 5 test Rep max or 1rm.

Conditioning will be 3 days per week 2 hand swings.
Light, medium heavy. Example; 40, 60, 80. 60, 80, 100. 80, 100, 120. Week four 40, 60, 40.

Forced relaxation for mobility.

Last edited:
Wednesday, October 25.

GTG, Get ups-24kg. Pausing for 5 seconds at each transition focusing on maximal tension and breathing behind a braced midsection.

100 snatches 16kg, 10 every 30 seconds.
Forced relaxation mobility before bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom