all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maffetone snatches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@simon0596, I’m sorry but I’m not clear on your question. Is it: Can you do MAF snatches and less running to prep for 1/2 marathons?

Hell no.

No, sir. Not at all. I was merely asking if my comparatively watered-down MAF snatches been measured against the more accepted way that you describe. I’m just curious.

I’m irritated with my lack of prep for this race, but unable to find fault with snatches. I think they helped...it’s the lack of mileage that hurt me. The only question is if you’ve shown that your snatch protocol would have helped me more than mine did. One of the things that’s drawn me to SF’s methodology is testing...I just wondered if this was one of the tests.

Sorry if this is a little tough to follow. Between the race and just getting off call, I’m a little punchy.

I’m irritated with my lack of prep for this race, but unable to find fault with snatches. I think they helped...it’s the lack of mileage that hurt me.
I think you answered your own question here... running 21km is going to be hard on your frame and needs adequate specific preparation, which snatches will not provide. There is just no way to simulate or train the shocks that your structures endure while running, other than running. Your cardiovascular conditioning was fine but ahead of the conditioning of the rest of your body hence a less than stellar experience. Everything needs to come together for performance, snatches trained only one piece of the puzzle

The only question is if you’ve shown that your snatch protocol would have helped me more than mine did. One of the things that’s drawn me to SF’s methodology is testing...I just wondered if this was one of the tests.
Unfortunately that is hard to test... only way would be to sacrifice another race (and accept injury risk), doing the same (lack of?) preparation for running, but Al's protocol for snatches instead of yours.
Honestly, think it would not have made a difference, as your weak link was running prep, not cardiovascular conditioning. Al's snatch protocol, while slightly different, will still not train the tissue adaptations required.

BTW, Al's program (I have some experience with it) is NOT based around a snatch protocol, but actually a snatch protocol combined with extensive amounts of locomotion training (running for a runner, biking swimming and running in my case), which is the very big difference.
Train the cardiovascular system to higher performance without the risk of injury through pure running, run a lot but way below race pace to generate the specific distance adaptations in the rest of the structures and minimize injury risk

Last edited:
(Sorry...Race, call, and a beer. I should have mentioned the beer. Clearly I should know when not to post)

By testing, I mean independent of any other activity: has my Maf snatch ever been tested, either alone or head to head vs @Alciampa’s MAF snatch (his deserves all caps)? Since my HR curve seemed so foreign to everyone, i thought maybe I was trying something totally new.

Whatever yardstick Mr Ciampa preferred is fine....if memory serves he preferred a timed run. Don’t remember the distance, but I’m sure it wasn’t 13 miles. I was just idly wondering.

I get that there’s no substitute for miles to harden the legs. Few people know that better than morons such as myself.

Your brand of snatching has not been tested, so, the first go-round (your expereince) is negative ;]

Your brand of snatching has not been tested, so, the first go-round (your expereince) is negative ;]

Be nice. I’ve had a hard enough week as it is. I’m gonna slowly ramp up the miles and try again in November. I’ll keep it nice and slow and just pour on volume. I actually feel pretty good today...

BTW, Al's program (I have some experience with it) is NOT based around a snatch protocol, but actually a snatch protocol combined with extensive amounts of locomotion training (running for a runner, biking swimming and running in my case), which is the very big difference.
Train the cardiovascular system to higher performance without the risk of injury through pure running, run a lot but way below race pace to generate the specific distance adaptations in the rest of the structures and minimize injury risk

Can you provide the link? I'm looking for a better way to combine KB training with some mountain bike races.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom