all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Medial Epicondylitis (golfers elbow)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
In my experience that trigger for this type of condition is mostly caused by forceful pronation of the wrist with the grip fully loaded. Once it starts, any loaded rotation of the hand or loading at the bridge of the hand when supinated will make it worse.

Linear loading of the pronated wrist such as pulling in line with the forearm or holding a suspended load tends to make it feel better, but the key is to avoid loading the palms-up hand, or externally rotating the wrist under load.
I think the above is a much more artful way of saying what follows.

The Armstrong Pull Up program left me with a six month case of golfer's elbow in my right arm. The program is an extreme amount of volume done on a straight bar. A few months or rest didn't help. Neither did anything I found online or from my physical therapist. Every time I tried any kind of pulling while holding a straight bar or handle, I had to stop. What finally worked was doing TRX rows holding towels I'd looped through the handles. Within a few workouts, I was back to chin ups while holding towels I'd draped over the bar.

A few years ago, I did a few straight bar pull ups. More golfers elbow followed. Same solution as in the previous paragraph. While I can row comfortably using the handles on a TRX, all my chinning is done holding towels or rings. Just for a little more variety, I'm planning on cutting and drilling a shovel handle to make a pair of dangling dowels to chin from. What I'd really like is for my basement to be 2-3 storeys higher so I could climb a rope there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom