all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Minimalist gymnastic rings strength routine?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Actually when I typed in “Reddit gymnastics ring program” I got an entirely different one but it’s not letting me share the PDF I got.

Thanks man. I didn’t realise it had been shared as I’m a Luddite with these things. It’s saved now for future reference. What results did you experience with this?

Got better at calisthenics and gymnastic rings. ;)

More hypertrophy in core and chest. A smidge in my back.

Nothing in my legs, but my legs are over-developed compared to what bodyweight types typically walk around with.

Got better at calisthenics and gymnastic rings. ;)

More hypertrophy in core and chest. A smidge in my back.

Nothing in my legs, but my legs are over-developed compared to what bodyweight types typically walk around with.
I think legs are counterproductive to a lot of the things these dudes aim for. I could planche pretty much the first time I tried it. Years and years of barbell squats later I was talking to a lad at the gym who was attempting planches and I was like “I can do a planche”. Lol yeah right. Made a fool of myself. The guy did say though that leg work makes it more difficult. That or he was just being charitable after the scene I made of myself. 4 years later of not doing squats (hernia in my belly button) and lo and behold I wasn’t far off a planche again on a set of paralettes.

I think legs are counterproductive to a lot of the things these dudes aim for. I could planche pretty much the first time I tried it. Years and years of barbell squats later I was talking to a lad at the gym who was attempting planches and I was like “I can do a planche”. Lol yeah right. Made a fool of myself. The guy did say though that leg work makes it more difficult. That or he was just being charitable after the scene I made of myself. 4 years later of not doing squats (hernia in my belly button) and lo and behold I wasn’t far off a planche again on a set of paralettes.

The lower body requirements of weightlifting are definitely counter-productive for my progress in gymnastic stuff.

I'm actively adding more mass to my quads, hams and a#@ right now, which is making my ring work harder.

From looking around the suggestions in the thread I found this routine by antranik which seems pretty solid, in case anyone wants to try it. Thanks guys.

From looking around the suggestions in the thread I found this routine by antranik which seems pretty solid, in case anyone wants to try it. Thanks guys.
Antranik is a well-respected trainer and I've heard nothing but good things about that routine. Let us know how it goes!

Antranik is a well-respected trainer and I've heard nothing but good things about that routine. Let us know how it goes!
Great! Ill try it for a while and make an update post or something, just gotta save money for the 70 bucks first haha (being a broke student sucks)

I've always liked that Antranik references where he got everything from. So many other dudes out there just make a program and don't care to mention that they all learned it from like the same 5 sources.

it's important to train to condition your connective tissue.

. . . I think dips will be good, but straight arm holds are essential,
These two points are essential for ring work in my experience. Don't rush progressions. While some programs might have you building to multiple sets of 10+ reps, or doing "longish" hold times for straight arm stuff, it's important work. You need some "hypertrophy work" (it's not like it's going to add 20lbs of muscle) to prepare your shoulders and especially the elbows for ring work. You can get crazy strong with rings but they do demand that your tissues are prepared, especially if you lock out your dips and turn out your hands. That's not to mention more advanced stuff.

$0.02 from someone who used to coach at a bodyweight gym.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom