all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Narrowing stance after double cleans

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I also move my feet when I press or clean and jerk. If I use a single bell I usually move the leg that has no load on that side. For you I would say to move the one where the 24kg is.
Anyway feeling a "thing" in your knee is a bit of a problem as just stepping in or any kind of step should not create any problem. So you might wanna look further into it and see if you can feel that "thing" when squatting or doing other movements.
Thanks for the response.
I've not noticed anything similar from squats, swings or cleans before. Particularly in this one sided way. It's my left knee that felt different.

Thanks for the response. I've posted a video below.
Thanks for the response. I've posted a video below.
I’m no expert but I don’t think the leg adjustment should go down while the kettlebells are airborne during the clean and during unracking the bells. Also and you’ve mentioned the handles and it might be that but your stance seems like there’s a tonne of space for both the bells to move through. You could conceivably find a happier medium with the stance. I’m no expert and maybe others will find different.

I would try some practice with lighter bells and no foot movement. What you are doing almost looks like a one leg clean with Dbl. bells of good size, imagine jumping on a box, with one leg ( always your right ) with weight in your hands, over, and over. I'm thinking a bunch of training with dbl. 16's or 20's would be helpful.

Any SFG's in your area ?

Pete

Overall you are off to a good start and a couple of areas for improvement:

If you choose to adjust the stance after the clean—For now go in "steps"—meaning finish the clean then step in if wanted > finish the jerk > then adjust stance for the clean etc...—you need to build the skill of stepping in in one smooth movement over time.

Experiment with not adjusting the stance—stay wide enough for the clean and see how things feel.

Let the toes out a bit (use some outturn in your stance) and see how that feels.

On the clean—you are leaning forward first to lower the bells—instead stay tall > slide the elbows back on the ribs a bit and this will begin the drop and you sit into the hinge guiding the bells back into the hinge for the next rep.

Did you go through the progression with single KB LCCJ as noted in the program and the swing/get-up progression?

I’m no expert but I don’t think the leg adjustment should go down while the kettlebells are airborne during the clean and during unracking the bells. Also and you’ve mentioned the handles and it might be that but your stance seems like there’s a tonne of space for both the bells to move through. You could conceivably find a happier medium with the stance. I’m no expert and maybe others will find different.
Thanks @Kev .
I think the first lesson that I've learnt today is that filming myself has been an insight in itself.
I posted the question and then soon realised that I should have included a video. It's a two day a week programme and I filmed those two sets this morning in isolation and perhaps filming a full 20 to 30 minutes would allow me to better understand what I consistently do, or don't do.
For example, is my starting width and step in varying in size? I could have sworn I was taking a good foot long step in and it looks much smaller in the video. Perhaps a narrower stance, and the odd knocked together bell, is a better starting point.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks @Kev .
I think the first lesson that I've learnt today is that filming myself has been an insight in itself.
I posted the question and then soon realised that I should have included a video. It's a two day a week programme and I filmed those two sets this morning in isolation and perhaps filming a full 20 to 30 minutes would allow me to better understand what I consistently do, or don't do.
For example, is my starting width and step in varying in size? I could have sworn I was taking a good foot long step in and it looks much smaller in the video. Perhaps a narrower stance, and the odd knocked together bell, is a better starting point.
Insights are always good man but if something is hurting it’s always an idea to break things down. Especially knees. Those things take forever to heal. This is the beauty of this forum. People are always wanting to help and a form video helps people see what the person might be missing. Here’s hoping it helps and fixes your knee. All the best mate!

Thanks @Kev .
I still knock bells on very rare occasions and it generally just needs a tiny adjustment. It’s all good but. Now you know what to work on.

I would try some practice with lighter bells and no foot movement. What you are doing almost looks like a one leg clean with Dbl. bells of good size, imagine jumping on a box, with one leg ( always your right ) with weight in your hands, over, and over. I'm thinking a bunch of training with dbl. 16's or 20's would be helpful.

Any SFG's in your area ?
There are some SFGs within 30 to 40 miles I think. Perhaps this is the year to tap in to that resource.
I'm struggling with bells training at home. I was practicing with either 20 kg + 8 kg or 12 kg while running the programme as single bell with 28 kg.
I appreciate it might need to be a "one step back two steps forward" mentality that is required here.
Many thanks @Don Fairbanks for your input.

Pete

Overall you are off to a good start and a couple of areas for improvement:

If you choose to adjust the stance after the clean—For now go in "steps"—meaning finish the clean then step in if wanted > finish the jerk > then adjust stance for the clean etc...—you need to build the skill of stepping in in one smooth movement over time.

Experiment with not adjusting the stance—stay wide enough for the clean and see how things feel.

Let the toes out a bit (use some outturn in your stance) and see how that feels.

On the clean—you are leaning forward first to lower the bells—instead stay tall > slide the elbows back on the ribs a bit and this will begin the drop and you sit into the hinge guiding the bells back into the hinge for the next rep.

Did you go through the progression with single KB LCCJ as noted in the program and the swing/get-up progression?
Thanks for the detailed reply @Brett Jones !
My 'brief' KB history of progressions;
2018+ S&S 24 kg (max at local gym)
Jun 20 - bought 32 kg bell
Oct 20 - completed Timed Simple
Mar 21 - started KB-SF (BJJ) 'Beginner to Intermediate'
May 21 - achieved 20 sets with 36 kg
May 21 - started S&S step cycle to 36 kg
Aug 21 - Timeless with 36 kg
Aug 21 - started Plan A single LCCJ with 28 kg
Sep 21 - plateaued with 28 kg at 30x3
Nov 21 - achieved 60 sets of Plan B with 28 kg
Nov 21 - started 8 week Victorious I (while occasionally practicing double LCCJ with light bells)
Jan 22 - PR 32 kg MP then switched to double LCCJ

Regarding your comments- thanks, they all make sense;
For now go in "steps"
I think i got used to rushing the LCCJ with the single 28 kg as the 30" period felt it required some urgency. I'll slow things down and break up the transitions.

Let the toes out a bit
A wider stance means more angle at the toes if they are to stay aligned. That could be causing a twist at the knee. Thanks.

On the clean—you are leaning forward first to lower the bells
I'll work to improve the cleans and video myself to check.

Perhaps I need to keep practicing with the lighter double bells for a bit and revert back to Victorious - part II...! Any excuse :)

Thanks for the advice.

Update:
I have just finished 11 weeks of Plan 2A without further knee pain. Thank you...!

I took the advice above and;
i) found a width suitable for both the cleans and the jerks; no changing between movements.
ii) I tried toes out but, without any further knee discomfort, I settled on parallel feet (well inside edges).
iii) I have improved the drop and will continue to work on this.
iv) switched to an inverted V setup

30 sets of three long cycles with 24+28 kg is actually less work (considering bell mass, bodyweight mass, and first reps) than 60 sets of single 28 kg but it felt like a challenge I might not realise. Certainly less sweat and hands are in great shape in contrast to last September.

I will retest on Monday and then have a week in the Gran Canarian sun to undo all my hard work.

Thanks for everyone's help back in January.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom