all posts post new thread

Barbell New here - need help with training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Spicynugg2

First Post
I'm new to posting on the forum I've been a lurker for some time but I've hit a bump in the road.

I normally train one lift a day

Sunday - Squat
Monday - chinup
Tuesday - overhead press
Wednesday - Row
Thursday- Bench press
Friday - Trap bar deadlift

However, I've been diagnosed with arthritis and chronic patella pain syndrome and been told to stop squatting until I see a physical therapist

The problem is it could take along time to see them with the pandemic in the UK, and I normally love squats but if I drop the squat, would I be ruining the whole routine by dropping it?

I can do leg extensions absolutely fine but they feel obsolete to replace the squat on the Sunday and I'm not sure what to do

@Spicynugg2 - none of this is medical advice, but I'll offer two comments. Dropping squats would not ruin the whole routine, and I would not add knee extensions to replace squats. The only time I did knee extensions in place of squats was post-surgery.

In the past, when I had knee pain, I would work around it and do what wasn't painful, even if that meant not squatting for a time. The main reason I started kettlebelling back in early 2019 was because I torn my hamstring and I could do S&S without pain - well, mostly, the goblet squat with a 12 or 16kg was still a little painful but I worked through it, and the main routine didn't hurt. To be clear, I am not recommending you to work through pain or not listen to your doctor, I am only sharing how I've handled my own knee problems in the past.

I'm new to posting on the forum I've been a lurker for some time but I've hit a bump in the road.

I normally train one lift a day

Sunday - Squat
Monday - chinup
Tuesday - overhead press
Wednesday - Row
Thursday- Bench press
Friday - Trap bar deadlift

However, I've been diagnosed with arthritis and chronic patella pain syndrome and been told to stop squatting until I see a physical therapist

The problem is it could take along time to see them with the pandemic in the UK, and I normally love squats but if I drop the squat, would I be ruining the whole routine by dropping it?

I can do leg extensions absolutely fine but they feel obsolete to replace the squat on the Sunday and I'm not sure what to do
NHS is brilliant innit? I was 5 months for a consultation on a hernia and the dude had me out his office in about 5 minutes without any kind of entertaining the possibility of an operation. Lol scratch my head looking at every payslip that says “National insurance deductions”. I hope you get better service than me but aye. You will have a wait.

Heavy slow training is ofren recommended to patella problems. Been there done that.

When i had the problems i where recommended squat or legpress starting at 3x15 slow reps. Adding weight and dropping reps every week.

This is NOT a replacement for seeing a professional in person. I would avoid movements that cause pain until you have seen a professional in person. That being said, I would take the time to educate yourself about your body, and maybe search for ways to work around the issue for the time being.

When I die my epitaph will be “He was rude about squats on Strongfirst” but I have never done them, have no intention of doing them and my leg development is just fine. Just do something else, anything else, whatever you can achieve pain free with your medical condition. Try the leg press, experiment with lighter weight, slower movement, partial reps, whatever

When I die my epitaph will be “He was rude about squats on Strongfirst” but I have never done them, have no intention of doing them and my leg development is just fine. Just do something else, anything else, whatever you can achieve pain free with your medical condition. Try the leg press, experiment with lighter weight, slower movement, partial reps, whatever
Dorian Yates also never squatted and lol what happened to him! He dominated his sport and retired still able to walk!

Guys, I was thinking this based on the advice

Sunday- TBDL + Eccentric Light Leg Extensions
Monday - Overhead Press
Tuesday - Row
Wednesday - Bench Press
Thursday- Pulldown
Friday - Close Grip Floor Press

I should then be able to train 6 days a week maintain the musculature of my legs with the Extensions and build patella strength, and also add some size to my arms with the floor Press, is this a good idea or should I do something like this

Sunday- TBDL
Monday - Overhead Press
Tuesday - Row
Wednesday - Bench Press
Thursday- Pulldown
Friday - Off
Saturday- Off

It just feels incomplete without the squat/quad dominant lift and 95% being upper body feel like I'm doing an injustice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom