all posts post new thread

New to Powerlifting

Hehe the old dinging the head on the bench.

Classic
Hey have you ever had any luck with those on line max 1rm calculators? Today's workout (link below) had me finish with 3+ x 275, and I hit 8. Might have had 2 more in the tank, but I had 5 sets of 10 @ 165 to finish it out and had to save something for that.

8 @ 275 puts me at 350 max... I've only ever maxed at 325, but that was after working out the day before. I'm waiting to max until after my deload week, just curious if maybe you've used one if they seem accurate.

Hey have you ever had any luck with those on line max 1rm calculators? Today's workout (link below) had me finish with 3+ x 275, and I hit 8. Might have had 2 more in the tank, but I had 5 sets of 10 @ 165 to finish it out and had to save something for that.

8 @ 275 puts me at 350 max... I've only ever maxed at 325, but that was after working out the day before. I'm waiting to max until after my deload week, just curious if maybe you've used one if they seem accurate.

In general, it depends on the person and the more reps the less accurate they are.

Great work getting started on this journey. If you can get some coaching, it will save you a lot of mental stress and maybe prevent injuries. That is if you want to legitimately pursue powerlifting as a sport. I don't know anyone who achieved a lot of success at it without coaching.

OTOH you just might want to keep doing what your doing, screw form and standards, and emerge from the garage a year later a giant white Hulk frightening children and stuff.

Last edited:
OK, so let me get your takes on Sumo lifting. It seems there is a big kabub and hallabaloo about it in one facebook group I follow. I haven't tried it yet, because I try to follow standard/conventional lifting. Is this allowed in competition? If so, I wonder if this would be a better way for me to deadlift, or should I keep with conventional and grind away until I I get my positioning down?
Not that i am comparing myself to Eddie Hall, because I'm not, but if he can deadlift at his size he was when he broke 500kg, I should be able to get in position and deadlift these lighter weights as well. I just feel so dang awkward trying to get in position..

OK, so let me get your takes on Sumo lifting. It seems there is a big kabub and hallabaloo about it in one facebook group I follow. I haven't tried it yet, because I try to follow standard/conventional lifting. Is this allowed in competition? If so, I wonder if this would be a better way for me to deadlift, or should I keep with conventional and grind away until I I get my positioning down?
Not that i am comparing myself to Eddie Hall, because I'm not, but if he can deadlift at his size he was when he broke 500kg, I should be able to get in position and deadlift these lighter weights as well. I just feel so dang awkward trying to get in position..
Sumo is legal. In my opinion it requires more flexibility to get into than conventional. Avoiding conventional because you haven’t learned the movement is different than picking sumo to be more competitive.

Believe it or not I'm pretty darn flexible. I can stretch down straight leg with feet together and get my palms almost flat on the ground.

and to be clear, it sounds like you are saying I should learn the movement first(conventional) before picking up sumo?

Nah I don’t have a different belt, shoes, shirt, socks, leggings, wraps, straps, and clips for each lift. I’d need a rolling duffel…
That actually can get annoying. For a while I was squatting in Oly lifting shoes, then Converse Allstars for Bench, and socks or minimalist shoes for deadlifting. I'm back to squatting and BP in Allstars so only one footwear change. Oh, fashion ....

-S-

That actually can get annoying. For a while I was squatting in Oly lifting shoes, then Converse Allstars for Bench, and socks or minimalist shoes for deadlifting. I'm back to squatting and BP in Allstars so only one footwear change. Oh, fashion ....

-S-
All Star Gang for the win imo. Whoop whoop

All Star Gang for the win imo. Whoop whoop
The Allstars are in lieu of blocks under my feet - I don't need a lot and the Allstars are just the right size.

And squatting in them just feels better than in any other shoe I've ever tried - back squatting, anyway. (I'm still working on my FSQ and using the Oly shoes for that.)

-S-

Believe it or not I'm pretty darn flexible. I can stretch down straight leg with feet together and get my palms almost flat on the ground.

and to be clear, it sounds like you are saying I should learn the movement first(conventional) before picking up sumo?
I think learning conventional is easier, and a lot of what goes into conventional also goes into sumo. I'm not anti-sumo.

Setup and going through that right process every time can make a big difference.

Did I miss a recent deadlift video? What is hard or awkward about getting into that position?

just my last one from a few days ago.... ill relink below. Got pretty good feedback, but I think one big problem was my shoes, pretty decent sole on them and the heel is pretty cushion-y.... gonna try barefoot this week.

Back
Top Bottom