all posts post new thread

New to Powerlifting

First competition just strive to show up.

I zeroed 3/5 events at my first comp. It was a great time.
I guess we have a differing opinion then. I personally wouldn't want to enter something unless I thought I was going to be competitive. Maybe not come in first the first meet, but at least be competitive. Once you factor in the cost of gas, registration fees, eating out and potentially having to pay for a motel, I would just want to make it worth the money. Obviously having fun is important but to me it would just be a lot of trouble to come in last. If I wanted to do that I can do that in the gym for free. ROFL Just my opinion obviously. Lol

Last edited:
my goal is truly strongman. But I want to compete at least once in a sanctioned powerlifting event to beat some idiot's scores he trained 10+ years to hit. He knows I haven't trained up until now, and he keeps talking massive s***... but I guess we were both under the impression my bench was around 250(my last known max in 2009).... my squat and deadlift are both better, but his bench is 405 so I gotta jump past that and beat his to shut him up, hoping I can hit it by November... Don't know how realistic that is, but thats my goal.... God it would tickle me pink to do this...

is that realistic to naturally hit 415 by november if I am at 335 now?

after getting under this guys skin, I'll be happy and can't wait to do strongman comps!
to be clear, this is someone I know in real life, we've spoken and everything and know mutual friends and he goes on about what a god he is... don't get me wrong, hes a strong guy, and hes a bigger guy, like 300+(but still a little smaller than me) so he has the right to brag, but he just goes OOOOONNNNN about being the best and hes stronger than anyone he knows because hes put in the years of work, and it'll fuggin make my year to see the look on his face if I can put up over 400 come november
petty? yes very

did i ever say i am not petty? no

I guess we have a differing opinion then. I personally wouldn't want to enter something unless I thought I was going to be competitive. Maybe not come in first the first meet, but at least be competitive. Once you factor in the cost of gas, registration fees, eating out and potentially having to pay for a motel, I would just want to make it worth the money. Obviously having fun is important but to me it would just be a lot of trouble to come in last. If I wanted to do that I can do that in the gym for free. ROFL Just my opinion obviously. Lol
i am 100% with you here. I want to be competitive before I hit any meet, powerlifting or strongman. I've pulled stats from the last few years of the strongman comps near me so i can see where I need to be to at least factor into the equation of being competitive. same with the powerlifting. Id LOVE to win, although I know I am not there. But being seen as someone to keep an eye on is where I'd like to be when i first compete

Fun story I still came in first in my division.

I also set the state log press record because I happened to sign up for an event that had national judges there. I know several people that press more than me but didn’t show up, so they didn’t get the record.

Competing is a different thing from testing your maxes in the gym. Like anything else you need some experience to get good. Why not get experience sooner? If you want to do something best time to start is now.
Novice classes exist for a reason. Take advantage.

Plus you meet people with similar goals and learn things you wouldn’t otherwise that help you be more competitive.

my ohp STRICT is at 255. almost had 275 but i got about 2/3 of the way before it was a no go. was able to pump 4 @ 275 push press. I almost had 305 push press but that was after I did the 275 for 4
In strongman all that matters is locking it out. Nobody cares how you get there. So pushpress is more important.

I've also got video of 2 sets of continental clean followed by 5 reps of ohp at 225. Definitely needs work but I was happy with it being the first time I ever attempted it.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. It definitely means a lot to me.

Just finished my press day. I ended up filming so I will share to my FB again and if anyone can provide feedback always appreciated. Also, if you are on FB feel free to add me or send me a message if it doesn't let you add me if you want to.
Had a snowstorm yesterday, about 6 inches here, so I went ahead and did the smart thing, worked out outside, shirtless, shoeless.
5 x 115- all strict
5 x 135 - all strict
3 x 165(but for some reason I forgot and did 5) - all strict
5 x 205 - first one strict, couldn't lockout completely so I did 5 push
another 5 x 205 - all 5 push
5+ x 215 (only completed 4) - all 4 push
then 5 sets of 10 x 135 - last set I completed all 10 as a strict press. The last 10 about killed me, but my goal is to be able to strict press 300x5 so I need the strict presses and pushed myself hard to get the last 10. Helped having the wife outside with me to try and impress lol

Loo

Looks good! You might want to get an axle at some point and start learning to clean and press that too, but in the meantime just keep working 531 with the barbell
So I actually have some old trailer axles lying around the property. I thought about working with those to practice, but I think they are like 3" diameter. just have the tires on both sides, and if I want to up the weight I can always add sand inside of the tires, drill a hole in the top of it and pour sand.... just an idea I had to train with what I have currently

I personally wouldn't want to enter something unless I thought I was going to be competitive.
I want to be competitive before I hit any meet

I can only speak for myself here, but I go to meets to be on the record, to be able to say that I did it, in public, in front of judges, after making weight and having my gear inspected, and it got posted on a website. Look at the tens of thousands of people who run the NYC marathon - it's about doing it, and competing with yourself, not about beating someone else, at least for me that's how it is. I'm chasing personal records, and while I'm happy that because I seem to have outlived and out-skinnied most of my competition, I get to win my division/age/weight and even set records, but all I really care about it continuing to improve and continuing to perform on the record. I can still remember the 5k foot race where I set my lifetime PR at age 45. It was a local race, a few hundred runners, and I came in 9th in my age group, but it was that I set a lifetime PR for myself that mattered.

-S-

I can only speak for myself here, but I go to meets to be on the record, to be able to say that I did it, in public, in front of judges, after making weight and having my gear inspected, and it got posted on a website. Look at the tens of thousands of people who run the NYC marathon - it's about doing it, and competing with yourself, not about beating someone else, at least for me that's how it is. I'm chasing personal records, and while I'm happy that because I seem to have outlived and out-skinnied most of my competition, I get to win my division/age/weight and even set records, but all I really care about it continuing to improve and continuing to perform on the record. I can still remember the 5k foot race where I set my lifetime PR at age 45. It was a local race, a few hundred runners, and I came in 9th in my age group, but it was that I set a lifetime PR for myself that mattered.

-S-
This echoes my own sentiments pretty well. Or my sentiments echo this as well. I'm not sure who is the echo.

I've also got video of 2 sets of continental clean followed by 5 reps of ohp at 225. Definitely needs work but I was happy with it being the first time I ever attempted it.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. It definitely means a lot to me.
Nice job! I would call these "push presses." I would encourage you to work on holding your lockout overhead for a one-count or breath (I'll explain more in a minute) and to focus on driving head through your arms so that the bar is locked out overhead without a lean back. @silveraw can comment if what you're doing is more common in strongman.

As for the breath - check out this video.

Nice job! I would call these "push presses." I would encourage you to work on holding your lockout overhead for a one-count or breath (I'll explain more in a minute) and to focus on driving head through your arms so that the bar is locked out overhead without a lean back. @silveraw can comment if what you're doing is more common in strongman.

As for the breath - check out this video.

Definitely agree, these were push presses. Sorry if I led you to believe I meant differe try. My most recent workout for ohp today should show some decent strict presses. I felt like I could have thrown the 135 a few feet up if I let go of the bar

-S-
I've been iffy about just jumping right into it but I think the one coming up in cass city in the summer will be my first event for strongman

sure
here's a 200 kg squat by a 66-kg lifter
you seem a bit...heavier than him
But again, take your time.

I was asking for bench. My squat is at 450. I was asking how realistic is it to add 70lbs to my bench in 8 months

Back
Top Bottom