all posts post new thread

New to Powerlifting

Put up a video at 395(all i currently have at home to squat) will add another video from a better angle
That was definitely better although Imo most of the reps were still a bit high. I think you have potential tho if you back off the weight for a while and work on cleaning up your form a bit. Not a lot of people have that sort of natural strength so I think if you played your cards right you could possibly do well in at least regional powerlifting. And as others have said, only one way to find out.

That was definitely better although Imo most of the reps were still a bit high. I think you have potential tho if you back off the weight for a while and work on cleaning up your form a bit. Not a lot of people have that sort of natural strength so I think if you played your cards right you could possibly do well in at least regional powerlifting. And as others have said, only one way to find out.
I'll definitely work on that. I think I'm gonna try and follow this workout program I have for now, seemed OK with it being mostly the lighter weights of 185 through 335. Thanks again man

Honestly, I think Clarence squats that way because he's probably always squatted that way - as deep as humanly possible. When you establish that groove, it's difficult to squat as heavy or heavier in a deep but not bedrock bottom manner. Apparently he has some nagging hip issues now and well, I'm not saying that the way he squats is THE cause, but certainly could be part of it.
I would say that squatting A TON for years on a regular basis is a one-way ticket to the operating room sooner or later. Irrespective of depth, bar placement or whatever.

The guy is a beast and it has a cost.

I am a level of sore I can't ever remember experiencing. I'm sure I did when I was younger, but at the time I was never off... I always had a sport or a workout day, so it was like my body never felt like this, at least not that I can remember... My a#@ and my legs are sore as a mfer, and my chest is just starting to feel better haha. Man is this exciting!

I am a level of sore I can't ever remember experiencing. I'm sure I did when I was younger, but at the time I was never off... I always had a sport or a workout day, so it was like my body never felt like this, at least not that I can remember... My a#@ and my legs are sore as a mfer, and my chest is just starting to feel better haha. Man is this exciting!
Do you have a training plan you are going to work off of? I highly highly recommend one, and quite a few of us here would be happy to point you in a couple directions if you want.

So I started off with a 5/3/1 to get going. Used a site called blackironbeast to get my workouts. entered my maxes, and it let me pick some additional things like bigger but boring? and I am going off that for at least the first cycle I think. After that, depending on if I see any progress, I may change it. Definitely open to suggestions though! I'll share pics of the workout I am following.workout3.PNGworkout2.PNGWorkout 1.PNG

What I like about this is it takes into account what weights you have available, and adjusts your workout to the closest it can with what you have available, and does the math for you that tells you what weights to use.

So I started off with a 5/3/1 to get going. Used a site called blackironbeast to get my workouts. entered my maxes, and it let me pick some additional things like bigger but boring? and I am going off that for at least the first cycle I think. After that, depending on if I see any progress, I may change it. Definitely open to suggestions though! I'll share pics of the workout I am following.View attachment 24346View attachment 24347View attachment 24348
I love 5/3/1. I highly recommend starting a Training Log and sharing a link here so folks interested can follow!

So I started off with a 5/3/1 to get going. Used a site called blackironbeast to get my workouts. entered my maxes, and it let me pick some additional things like bigger but boring? and I am going off that for at least the first cycle I think. After that, depending on if I see any progress, I may change it. Definitely open to suggestions though! I'll share pics of the workout I am following.View attachment 24346View attachment 24347View attachment 24348
Can we talk about the overhead press?

Was that a strict press? Cuz if you ever get bored with powerlifting you would do very well in Strongman. Its all hinging, overhead pressing, and loaded carries.

Edit: Also keep track of how you are feeling with the Boring but Big variation. it is a high volume plan and can be a bit of a shock to the system if you are coming in cold. 5/3/1 is a great system, one of the best "Do This" systems ever put together.

Last edited:
Can we talk about the overhead press?

Was that a strict press? Cuz if you ever get bored with powerlifting you would do very well in Strongman. Its all hinging, overhead pressing, and loaded carries.

Edit: Also keep track of how you are feeling with the Boring but Big variation. it is a high volume plan and can be a bit of a shock to the system if you are coming in cold. 5/3/1 is a great system, one of the best "Do This" systems ever put together.
my ohp STRICT is at 255. almost had 275 but i got about 2/3 of the way before it was a no go. was able to pump 4 @ 275 push press. I almost had 305 push press but that was after I did the 275 for 4

Good good… seduce him to the dark side…
my goal is truly strongman. But I want to compete at least once in a sanctioned powerlifting event to beat some idiot's scores he trained 10+ years to hit. He knows I haven't trained up until now, and he keeps talking massive s***... but I guess we were both under the impression my bench was around 250(my last known max in 2009).... my squat and deadlift are both better, but his bench is 405 so I gotta jump past that and beat his to shut him up, hoping I can hit it by November... Don't know how realistic that is, but thats my goal.... God it would tickle me pink to do this...

is that realistic to naturally hit 415 by november if I am at 335 now?

after getting under this guys skin, I'll be happy and can't wait to do strongman comps!

Back
Top Bottom