all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Newbie

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GregMatt

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all!

My name is Greg and I recently bought Simple and Sinister and Enter the Kettlbell. I am new to kettlebells but not new to weight training. I recently had to cancel my gym membership due to financial reasons. I have a few questions

but first heres a little about me I'm 5'11 280lbs. I'm looking to lose weight and get stronger and look better. I have taken the last year of training off after moving and such

My first question is

Should I do SS or Etk? For a beginner to kettle bells

Can I start with just a 16kg for both swings and TGU? I recently just ordered a 24kg bell.

Do you really do SS daily?

Hello and welcome!

You should do S&S. It is generally found preferable to concentrate on the program until you hit the Simple standard.

16kg is a fine starting weight. Take your time progressing with the weight and don't focus on it.

You can do S&S daily but you can also fit it around your life. The more you do it the better. I wouldn't take too many days off for different kinds of weight training or variety days, maybe a day a week. Take S&S light enough that you have energy for other sports regularly and plan your test days around them. For instance, if Monday is Lacrosse and Wednesday is Tennis it's probably best to have your test day on Saturday.

Welcome to the forum! Excellent choice in books, programs, and kettlebell sizes!

I think you'll mostly get recommendations to start with S&S. not only do the swing and getup build the foundational movement patterns for more complex exercises (snatch, clean and press)...but you will find that it is a more in-depth explanation of the "Program Minimum" from ETK that is recommended before starting the Rite of Passage itself.

You're lucky to be starting with a foundation of strength already. 16kg is a great starting weight for everything, and you may want to keep yourself there for a little bit as you build technique and breathing into muscle memory. You could even start practicing the getup with nothing but a shoe in your hand.

I do S&S daily, I just rest when I need to, which usually means 5-6 days per week for me. You may find your body likes a different amount, just follow what you feel. "A workout should give you more than it takes out of you" - if you're just not feeling it, or not feeling fresh, take a rest day.

And have fun!

Hello,

@GregMatt
I'm looking to lose weight and get stronger and look better
Should I do SS or Etk?
I would start doing S&S as per the book. Daily swings will help you a lot to lose weight.

Can I start with just a 16kg for both swings and TGU? I recently just ordered a 24kg bell.
Regarding to the weight, you can start with 16 for both moves. It will allow you to learn the perfect form, while avoiding exhaustion and injury. By the way, do you have any injury or so ?

With a daily practice, you will go heavier pretty fast

Of course, I have absolutely no legitimacy to say what to do or not to do, but, a proper diet combined with S&S will make you lose weight even faster. Lots of folks, including myself, run low carbs / intermittent fasting with great results. There is a dedicated section on the forum where you may find a lot of excellent information.

Plus, if you want to, you can also open a training log to see your progress, ask what you want, etc...

I wish you very good luck !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@GregMatt : Welcome to the forum :)
I chime in with what has been written above: start with S&S. Two moves, but they form the base of all others in the ETK. Take your time and go slow, you are training, not working out.

Welcome to StrongFirst, @GregMatt.

Lots of great advices already.

First thing first: since you're new to kettlebells have you had your form in the swing and get ups (and preferably also the remaining four basic exercises - clean, snatch, front squat and press) by a SFG certified instructor of any level, or at least by an RKC one? If not, I'd say first in order is to get in contact with one and do that. I don't know where you're fromand how much a gym membership costs there, but it should be more expensive than a little bit of personal coaching anyways. You really don't need to be an expert, but at the very least and for your own personal safety, you've got to know how to treat an implement like the kettlebell in the correct way. It took me six lessons by an SFGII - one for each of the six exercises above: it means 3 to 4 months of a one year subscription (which once you paide cannot be cancelled) in most regular gyms here in Italy.
Other options are on-line coaching or technique review here on the Forum, but they're not comparable with a personal meeting, especially the latter.

Second: depending on the answer above, you can either start Simple&Sinister if you are proficient with the movements, or arrange something introductive with your SFG. If you won't go with personal coaching but would still want to sharpen the edges, the book has a section that covers this for complete new comers, if memory serves me well. You can also ask here, there is a lot certified instructor that can give you a very basic program to start with (and it won't take long, I think).

Third: yes, use the 16 kg kettlebell and wait for your 24 kg one to come in. Can you already stay inside the time standards with the 16 kg? If not, I'd wait untile then before moving up in weight. Also, the two movements are sort of unrelated in terms of progression, i.e. if you could reach the time standard in swing but not in the get ups or vice versa, nothings stops you from going up in the "stronger" exercise, while still practicing the other one with the lighter bell until you can hit the time.

Hope it helps!

Train strong and cheers from Italy!

Reactions: Jan
Thanks for all the replies!!!! I may even start with a 12kg just to get form down. Is that a bad idea?

Hello,

@GregMatt
I may even start with a 12kg just to get form down. Is that a bad idea?
I would say that it depends on how you are built. If you are skinny like me (62k) yes it can good to start with 12 or 16 to get good form. However if you are strongly built (80 or so), then 20 may be a better choice.

That being said, it is never a bad idea to start light as you plan to do ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Im a bigger guy, so I think I will start with a 16kg for both moves
Hello,

@GregMatt

I would say that it depends on how you are built. If you are skinny like me (62k) yes it can good to start with 12 or 16 to get good form. However if you are strongly built (80 or so), then 20 may be a better choice.

That being said, it is never a bad idea to start light as you plan to do ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
a

Hey Greg,
You said you use to lift weights, were you fairly strong?
A bigger man like you, and if your somewhat strong, from lifting before. You could start with the 24kg bell.
Speaking from personal experience, I found that a LIGHT KB it is easy to develop bad habits and poor technique.
Looking at your Weight to KB weight percentages, you are:
280 so 16kg bell is 12% ,and 24kg is 18%.
compared to say a 18o lbs man, 16kg is 20%, and 24kg is 29%.
I think you would need a heavier kb in weeks , if you start with a 16kg.
If your looking to save a few bucks, start with the 24kg, and really focus on the technique at first.
To start S&S, allow yourself a full hour to complete from warm ups to stretches at the end.
Start slowly - Be consistent!

Al

Hello,

Do you really do SS daily?
Yes, but then, you can adapt a little the volume : less GU with a heavier weight, less swing with a heavier weight, etc... in function of your state (sore or not, time or not, etc...) You can also split the training, swing in the morning, GU the evening, or the contrary.

I train 5 / 6 days a week without any overtraining issue.

If you add a proper diet, you are good to go !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wow, first off I have never seen a forum so informative!

So I just checked the status of my kettle bells and it looks like they will be deliver next week. I do have a 12kg from a buddy of mine. I'm thinking of starting with that. Is that a bad idea or should I just wait? I don't feel as strong as I used too! This 12kg bell is heavier than I thought!

Hi @GregMatt, I've been doing S&S for 2 months now and I really enjoy it. About the frequency, my personal experience is that the first month I couldn't do it daily since I ended up sore or tired. So I did it about 4 times a week. After the first month my body got used to it and I became able to do it every day, so I ended with a weekly average of 5 or 6. I understand that most people end up doing it about 5 times a week, not daily, and with good results.
About the first month of adaptation, when I felt a bit tired I did a shorter version, 6 sets of swings and 6 get ups, instead of taking the day off. The books recommends using a lighter bell, but I didnt have one so I just did fewer sets. It helped me a lot to get used to the daily practice.
Welcome and good luck!

Hello,

@GregMatt
You can start with 12. It will allow you to get used to the moves, starting with a good form and learn new feelings.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do have a 12kg from a buddy of mine. I'm thinking of starting with that. Is that a bad idea or should I just wait? I don't feel as strong as I used too! This 12kg bell is heavier than I thought!

The idea is to start where you're comfortable - don't focus too much on the weight. I've had my own experiences where this developed into "ego lifting" and that's definitely not what anybody needs.

In one of those books, it is said that in the hands of an experienced kettlebeller, even the lightest bell can be made to feel like 1000lbs just by emphasizing breathing, position, and tension. Doing movements with no weight at all can get you breathing and your heart beating. That 12kg can teach you lessons you won't expect...

when using bodyweight ratios, it's probably better to use "lean" bodyweight only... as a poster who was trying to shed bodyfat once said, he was already doing a 32K getup with the shoe! Start where you are. You might want a heavier one sooner for swings, but just see how you do.

as a poster who was trying to shed bodyfat once said, he was already doing a 32K getup with the shoe!

EXCELLENT point. Very true.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom