all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nils van der Poel

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well it is of course. It’s just that the mindset of performance based endurance athletes doesn’t like thinking in terms of slow.
An analogy is the Pavel idiom of having not having a strong arm and a weak arm, but rather a strong arm and a stronger arm.

Who wants to be slow? Raise your weak arm…:)

650km bike at an average of about 29kph (not ‘fast’ but certainly not slow considering 650km)
That's not a bad speed. It would be an "A" level club ride.

171km run at an average of 7.28 min/km (11min miles) (again certainly not fast but not really slow considering…)
I couldn't do that - my form disintegrates if I run that slowly. That's even slowly than 11 min miles, something like 11:40. For me it would have to be a combination of running and walking.

-S-

It’s not so much about slow as it is easy. Of course in many of us the two are synonymous.
100% agree here. Although the term "easy run" can be misleading as it assumes a knowledge of running terminology.

So probably more our mistake than the newbie starting out.

The important thing about Daniels in my mind is that everything is based on actual race performances - you could substitute a time trial for yourself, I suppose. It's why I think a real 1RM is also an important thing to know, or at the very least to have estimated based on some other max performance, when planning strength training. Things like heart rate, tested VO2Max, and the like are interesting numbers but to actually do the thing is, IMO, the most important metric. Not the only variable, of course, but nonetheless at the top of the list of variables to be considered.

-S-
I saw Jack at a presentation in 2006 - his quote always resonates - "if you want to run faster in training, prove it by running faster in a race, first"

pure evidence based coaching

Alex Hutchinson touches on Nils here.

I personally found piling a bunch of sweetspot and threshold on top of Z1-2 worked best for me. I wouldn't shy away from intensity but things like 2x20min we're always a staple.

Great article.

I appreciate the reference to Dr. Stephen Seiler. I've listened to a few of his lectures online. On a quick search I found this piece, in which he talks about using breathing as a governor of intensity, which I think would be super interesting. Are there any devices that are in use which easily measure breathing rate, the way a HR monitor measures heart rate?

He also says nasal breathing is not accurate as an indication of aerobic intensity. I agree. My experience with it is exactly as he describes.

I appreciate the reference to Dr. Stephen Seiler. I've listened to a few of his lectures online. On a quick search I found this piece, in which he talks about using breathing as a governor of intensity, which I think would be super interesting. Are there any devices that are in use which easily measure breathing rate, the way a HR monitor measures heart rate?
Thanks for posting, very interesting.

I have used a Whoop band for 8 months last year and it measures breathing rate. But as far as I remember only really as a measure of recovery or general state. (As illnesses often start with an elevated breathing rate). But as the band was quite off on heart rate during exercise I am not sure if it would work during exercise.

polarized doesn't mean you dont do SS or Threshold work - it just means things are timed well and easy days are still easy.

for 90% of my folks our year from start of season prep to first A race is - Polarized -> pyramidal -> polarized

and WHAT we address in both of the polarized blocks changes as big races come up (depending on type of race too)

also seems to be some small periods of "block" schema too with multi threshold days and other small tweaks

as always, "it depends"

Great article.

Yeah, Seiler's great.

Quite a few optical HR devices these days purport to measure breathing rate via HRV, but HRV via optical HR is inaccurate. I don't know about their accuracy with a chest strap. I think Seiler mentioned doing some work with Hexoskin.

The low-tech approach when running is to synchronize breathing and strides, inhale for 4 footfalls/exhale for 4 footfalls or whatever. You gotta figure out your own thresholds but it's pretty accessible.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom