all posts post new thread

Kettlebell No More Back Pain

jayjo

Level 6 Valued Member
I became a gym rat in my 30's and gave myself a back problem from Deadlifting.
I've always had stiff joints, even as a kid. I believe I have SI Joint Disfunction.
I transitioned from Barbells to Kettlebells over the years but have always had some back/hip pain.
Sometimes achy...other times really bad where I am crooked and need some serious rehab.
Seemed like my back was "going out" every few months.

For a few months now I've been following Mark Wildman's youtube videos for Heavy Club training.
Since day 1 of this my back pain is just gone. Mark claims in his videos that his training will get rid of back pain.
He seems to be correct. I now do Kettlebell work just for lower body...like Swings, Get Ups, Lunges, etc.

I just wanted to share this. It seems almost too good to be true. I no longer get out of bed or out of the car all stiff and careful.
I feel 10 years younger. Although in the mirror I am still fat and old.

Wow. Great! Thanks for sharing.

Did you ever try any of the OS reset work?

Could a sledge hammer work for this?
I think it could. But if its too long it wont work. Then it would be a "mace". And its also likely you might hit yourself in the back with the head. I've seen DIY heavy clubs online made with plumbing pipes filled with concrete.

OS is original strength. Something I learned about here. Basically, human developmental movements like rocking, rolling, nodding.

If you spend some time searching here on the forum, you'll find a lot of remarkable information about it. And stories of renewal and going pain free.
Also a website- original strength website.
Very worthwhile.

OS is original strength. Something I learned about here. Basically, human developmental movements like rocking, rolling, nodding.

If you spend some time searching here on the forum, you'll find a lot of remarkable information about it. And stories of renewal and going pain free.
Also a website- original strength website.
Very worthwhile.
I now remember that I did check it out online to help with my body pain. I know this sounds extremely lame, but it really looks like a chore, not fun at all. I am extremely lazy and only do things I consider fun. That sounds sarcastic but its not. Club is fun.

I too have had chronic SI joint issues. 1H swings can be especially troublesome some days. But the more I work on loosening up old scar tissue and gaining back mobility in my hips joints, the less problems I’m having.

An almost daily routine of squeezing a medicine ball between my knees, cat-cow stretches, bird dog, 90/90 stretch and this movement at about the five minute mark have helped immensely;

Well…and semi regular adjustments by a chiropractor friend of mine. When I’ve done something stupid and it’s really acute he can usually release what’s bound up and within minutes I would have relief. But I’m working on sorting out my own issues too, to know how to deal with it myself.

I’m also finding the 9 Minute Challenge to show some promise, probably just because of the marching and crawling.

I’ll have to look into club too. Wildman just posted a video in the last day or two using a shin box and kettlebell as a mobility drill. I’ll experiment with that when I have time.

Sounds like a winner. What would you suggest as a starting weight for clubs for a moderately strong beginner? And a good starter program? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I'm gonna build one from pipe and flange and keep watching his channel. Thanks again for mentioning this!

Last edited:
Sounds like a winner. What would you suggest as a starting weight for clubs for a moderately strong beginner? And a good starter program? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I'm gonna build one from pipe and flange and keep watching his channel. Thanks again for mentioning this!
Mark Wildman says "no matter how strong you think you are, start with a 15 lbs. club". I started with a 15 lbs. and just now got a 20 lbs. club. I remember starting with a 35 lbs. Kettlebell when I was squatting 300 lbs. and it made sense then. Because fo the shape, distribution of weight and what you do with it, 15 lbs. club is heavy.

@jayjo

I am glad to hear this helped you with your back pain. I felt the same about training with clubs. For a long time I struggled with lower back pain after many years working in a package sorting facility. Every time I would start to try to train, my back would cripple me. I am much older and more mature now so I realize that I was always going to heavy to quick. For example, trying to PR in dead lift every training session lol. So unfortunately I gave up on training for a long time.

I began training again early last year with SnS and then Mark Wildman's Strong and Fit Heavy Club program. I credited the two for "fixing" my lower back pain, but the truth is it was the first time in my life I trained responsibly and followed a program exactly using proper load. I have since ran ETK and I am currently running Geoff Neupert's GIANT and KSK programs with weights I never dreamed I could touch without throwing my back out. It has been about 16 months of pain-free training.

The Original Strength resets are definitely worth another try as other have mentioned. I use them to warm up and try to do them daily. Just 5 min can make a big difference in my opinion. Maintaining the 4 point position with the neck nods while nasal breathing really seems to target my lower back specifically.

Again, glad to hear this man. Keep going brother!

I now remember that I did check it out online to help with my body pain. I know this sounds extremely lame, but it really looks like a chore, not fun at all. I am extremely lazy and only do things I consider fun. That sounds sarcastic but its not. Club is fun.
You’re spot on it’s boring and tedious to me. It’s a chore but it does help. Also daily sauna has helped me with back tightness and pain tremendously

OK I'm now going to clarify "no more back pain":
I've done many things to help with my back/hip pain. I have a physical therapist I've gone to. I've done some SI Joint Correction movements such as pulling my pelvis back into shape with a wooden dowel. I've done the Psoaz stretch. More recently following the Miranda Esmond-White dynamic stretch routines have been great.

But when I purchased a 15-lbs. Club from Onnit, then did my first workout with Mark Wildman (side to side swing) I went into shock. I felt sick and thought I put my back out again. My body was very confused from moving in a new way. But I discovered the next day my back felt great and I have felt great ever since. I continue learning Club moves. Club workouts simply made my back pain just go away vs. helping it with various stretches etc. I'm not claiming it will do that for anyone else, but its been a complete miracle for me. And its also the most fun workout I've ever done. How can life be so good? I must be blessed by the Lord.

Unless I missed it, do you know exactly what was wrong with your back?

While much better than a few years ago, I have frequent bouts of back pain. I adjust my car seat, work seat, sit on the floor at home, practice OS' material, etc, and I will have weeks of no problems then suddenly several days of semi-debilitating pain. I now believe I also have Sciatica as I will occasionally get issues in one leg and the symptoms scream Sciatica. I will add this Club Training to my workouts.

Unless I missed it, do you know exactly what was wrong with your back?

While much better than a few years ago, I have frequent bouts of back pain. I adjust my car seat, work seat, sit on the floor at home, practice OS' material, etc, and I will have weeks of no problems then suddenly several days of semi-debilitating pain. I now believe I also have Sciatica as I will occasionally get issues in one leg and the symptoms scream Sciatica. I will add this Club Training to my workouts.
I think I have Sacro Illiac Joint Disfunction. And when my glutes tighten up it pulls the joint and my pelvis moves. Then it makes one leg longer than the other. Something I do throughout the day everyday is to roll my glutes out against a wall with a Lacrosse ball. I have a large, tight butt...but it looks loose. Its huge and strong but also gets tight and causes me pain. The Swinging of the Club works the hips in a new way and someone makes me feel much more ballanced.

Back
Top Bottom