Noah Marek's Training log

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
Background: My name is Noah Marek, and I am 22 years old. Height is just below 5'11" (180cm) and weight is about 177 (80kg). I have lived in Oregon (US) my whole life and really enjoy living here. I got married to my high school sweetheart a little over a year ago before my senior year in college. I graduated with a B.S. in Exercise Science earlier this year in May, and in a little over a month, I will start graduate school for a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Pacific University (class of 2020). Currently, enjoying some extra free time to train, be outside, and spend time with friends/family before the business of grad school commences :)

Training background: Switched over from bodybuilding/powerlifting style of training to primarily Strongfirst methodology a little over a year ago. I am stronger and have better endurance than ever despite having this lower stress model of training. I just finished a 13 week cycle of Kettlebell Strong (phase 1 and phase 2 short course) with the 2x28kgs and rep maxed with the 2x32kg at 4 solid reps. This last week I began a 30 day loaded carry program from Louka Kurcer that he posted about on his instagram (@kettlebeast) .

Training goals: With the 30 day program, my 2 goals are to farmer's carry 2x32kg for 3+ minutes and do a solid 48kg beast get up with both arms after I am done. Long term (within the next year to year and a half) would be to do a get up and bent press with 56kg, be able to snatch 40kg for a sets of 5, and improve overall aerobic endurance through A+A snatches and easy running. Long long term: Deadlift 500lbs. However, I think I am getting ahead of myself so let's just say my primary goal right now is to be able to do a nice and smooth beast get up and improve grip strength/strength endurance via farmer's carries.

Limitations: I have one somewhat significant limitation. My hips can't go deeply into flexion due to impingement. I have researched it a good bit and spoken with some physical therapists about it and there is no easy solution. Could be bony anatomy, could be a minor form of femoral acetabulum impingement (FAI), don't know. I have spent a lot of time trying to improve it but with little progress. So now I sumo deadlift instead of conventional and use front squats more than back squats in order to use lifts that require less hip flexion. I work with my body rather than against it.

Enjoy this log and please comment. I post many videos and pictures on my instagram @noahmarek2 if anyone is interested. I may also post some here if it's not too difficult to do.

Last edited:

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
This past week's training.

Monday
Get ups- up to 40kg
1A swings- up to 32kg
Loaded carry program day 1 (A)- 10 minutes
-1A military press to overhead carry
-Deadlift to farmer's carry

Wednesday
Pistols and 1A pushup practice
Carries day 2 (B) 13 minutes
-Double kb fsq to rack carry-
-Single leg kb deadlift to suitcase carry

Friday
Bent presses, goblet squats, and swings
Carries day 3 (C)
Get up to overhead carry + get down- hit 40kg on my top set which makes for some kind of PR since it included an overhead carry
BU clean to carry

Saturday (about 2 hours ago)
Went for a run for the first time in a while. Did not bring phone to track mileage or time because I prefer to just run by feel. I estimate the run was about 3.2 miles with a 10min mile pace. All done while breathing deeply and rhythmically through the nose. Easy endurance style and felt really good. We will see if I can keep this up...

Last edited:

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
IMG_8331.PNG IMG_8312.PNG IMG_8325.PNG

1st- getting used to the beast resting on my forearm.
2nd- Bent pressing 40kg for the first time. Haven't spent much time with this lift but look forward to doing so in the future.
3rd- Farmer's carry with 40kg and 48kg. -my 2 heaviest bells :)

Anna C

More than 5000 posts
Elite Certified Instructor
Wow you have accomplished a lot for 22 yrs old! AWESOME work, in fitness and life!

I found you on Instagram, looking forward to following your training.

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
7-24-17
Swings 10x7 reps with 32kg. 2A, L,R, repeat
*2A swings felt really good today. Pure power and no worries about the grip.
Get ups- 32kg, 1/1 x3
*I have been 1A floor pressing all of my get ups lately and really liking it. It adds some bent arm strength to a movement that favors lockout strength. It makes the movement feel even more complete to me.
Loaded carries week 2 day 1- 7 minutes
Deadlift to farmers carry- 2x32kg
1A press to overhead carry- 24kg
Completed 3 rounds of each

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
7-25-17
Felt kind of sore and tired today so I did a bit less than planned.
Tempo pushups 4x6
Loaded carry program week 2 day 2- 18 minutes
Double kb FSQ to rack carry- 2x24kg
Single leg single kb deadlift to suitcase carry- 32kg
*Single leg deadlifts really seem to make my hamstrings and glutes sore! Plus my foot and whole body are working hard to stay balanced. I like this movement a lot and think it will benefit me well.
Completed 5 rounds
Finished with a mobility flow included half kneeling, squat, and one arm shoulder and hip extension patterns.

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's snatches! After this program, I plan to deeply invest in heavy snatches A+A style and am really, really excited after all I have read on the forum about them. For now, just practicing the snatch 1-2x a week with the 24kg for about 10x5 each session.

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
7-26-17
Decided to start doing my carry program at the beginning of my workout since it is the priority and then finish with accessory movements.

Loaded carry program week 2 day 3- 14 minutes
Get up to overhead carry (1A floor press for 2 reps before each get up, always finished with get down)- 24kg, 24kg, 16kg
Bottoms up clean to BU carry- 24kg, 24kg, 16kg
Went lighter today since I plan on going head tomorrow with get ups and farmer's carries.
Snatches- 10x5 w/ 24kg emom
Goblet squat 3x5 w/ 32kg

Felt good. Volume is high this week with 5 days of training in a row so I might start decreasing accessory work to what I feel is an appropriate minimum. The grip, back, and shoulders are handling a lot of volume right now. I will continue with the program as it is for now but will be listening to my body to see if I need to cut back.

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
Change of plans with my programming. I will be stopping the loaded carry program early to start TSC prep. I will do a longer post tomorrow or over the weekend with an explanation.

7-27-17
Decided to do just get ups today. Why? Because I like get ups.
16kg, 24kg, 32kg, 40kg, 48kg (get up, no get down), 40kg, 32kg, 24kg, 16kg
First time getting up with the beast today. It was not planned, but I wanted to try it. Overall, felt alright but a little discomfort in my left elbow. Over the next couple weeks, I will do lots of 40kg get ups and partial 48kg getups and think I can have one solid get up (including get down) each side within a month.

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
So, after signing up for the TSC, I remembered that I wanted to start prepping soon and finding a 8-12 week plan. Well here is the plan I decided on: 12-Week TNT TSC Training Program

I have been really interested in this program ever since I read it soon after completing my first TSC. I just finished spending 13 weeks with the press so I think it's time to spend 12 weeks with the snatch! I love the simplicity of it and how Derek says how much carryover the snatching will have to the deadlift and pull ups. I decided to use next week as a deload week with some easy strength lifts and LSD running rather than doing week 3 of the loaded carry program which is pretty aggressive. I am so excited to start the program and to see the effects it will have on my performance. Honestly, I am surprised I haven't seen it mentioned before on the forum because it looks awesome for those with their snatch technique nailed down.

For some perspective, in the spring TSC, I pulled 385, got 17 pull ups, and 100 snatches. Recently, I deadlifted 405 and managed 100 snatches in 5 minutes so those are my current benchmarks going into the program. I can't wait to see what I can do after 12 weeks of snatching on this program and I am especially interested to see how it will effect my deadlift and pull up numbers!

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
One other note: my wife who doesn't workout/ train consistently signed up for the TSC with me! I did not push her into it because I wanted it to be her decision, and she said she wanted to! Pretty cool! I am excited that my wife and I will both be participating together at the TSC. :) I will make an occasional post about how her training is going as well!

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
7-29-17 Saturday
Easy run w/ nose breathing the whole way. A little over 3 miles completed in 30 minutes. Focus was on being as relaxed as possible and letting tension shake off with every step.

7-31-17 Monday
Started ROP today with 32kg for the press. I've decided to finally pursue a half body weight press (40kg) and 200 24kg snatches in 10 minutes!
Light day
Press- 1/1, 1/1, 1/1
Pistol- 2/2,2/2,2/2
Snatch- 6 min- 60 reps
Next week I will begin the TSC snatch program but for this week, just ROP by the book (no pull ups).

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
There is something so beautifully simple and satisfying about the ROP template. A push and a pull, a grind and a ballistic, strength and conditioning all in one simple, effective, and straightforward package.

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
8-1-17
Variety day- PTTP deadlifts
250lb x5, 225lb x5

8-2-17
ROP medium day
3x(1,2) with 32kg for presses
3x2 bw pistols (after each top rung of presses)
9 minutes of swings w/32kg- I did 6/6 emom for 5 minutes followed by 5/5 emom for 4 minutes. 100 1A swings total.

After considering many different snatch programs including the one I mentioned above, I did the unthinkable. I decided to follow ROP by the book and not change the conditioning portion one bit. ;-) The only variety I am adding is PTTP deadlifts on tuesdays and thursdays which the book lists as an option and low rep pistols (no pull ups) after the top rung of the press ladders. I am really excited to finally be doing the Rite of Passage! About time!

NoahMarek

More than 500 posts
8-5-17
ROP heavy day
1A press 3x1,2,3 w/ 32kg
Swings 7 minutes- 10/10 emom w/ 24kg. 140 swings total.
Today felt like a workout, and I enjoyed it very much!

Top Bottom